• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has the CGC's grading become a little less strict lately?

32 posts in this topic

CGC labels are not fruit. An old 9.4 should be the same as a new 9.4.

Sure, assuming gman hasn't flipped it a few dozen times, thus allowing our Postal Workers to re-enact that game-winning field a few dozen times as well.

tonofbricks.giftonofbricks.giftonofbricks.giftonofbricks.gif

I just dont think that cgc takes ink and varnishes into consideration. Thers just to many books to keep track of that type of production. Covers being off center and staples being off or not there that i can see but not inks and varnishes.they would have to contact the company to find that out.

and this comics spine just has white all the way up.

CGC does not deduct anything for production-related flaws.

Actually from personal experience I had Origin 4's and Ultimates 5's that had that "frayed"/cracked white spine look - book have never been opened and I'm assuming that the spines got that way from the initial production fold and the cardstock was just not flexible enough to bend without fraying...these bad spines kept the books from making the 9.8 prescreen cutoff I had sent them in at...

these bad spines kept the books from making the 9.8 prescreen cutoff I had sent them in at...

Sure, but this gets into a "grader's call" type of territory, where the damage could have been production or from reading/opening the book. You don't get CGC marks for "could". grin.gif

I sent in a Dark Knight Returns #1 on a whim just to fill out an order. I personally graded it a 9.2, thinking it may pull out a 9.4 and make it easier to sell. It came back a 9.8. I recieved ridiculously high grades on everything in that order, not that I'm complaining.

No. They are very consistent on all the books I have submitted. They are tougher though than the overstreet standards. IMO

We have to remember that even 9.8 books have defects otherwise they would be 10.0s. They are falling way behind on their grading times which concerns me regarding volume and quality control but if the backlog disappeared due to speedy grading that would concern me also. Having three graders looking at the books allows me to sleep at night. Steve is well respected in the industry for his grading skill and love of the comic industry but we always have to be on the lookout for any signs of corporate greed which would require they crank out more faster.