• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

acrylic painting behind glas...

6 posts in this topic

Is it on paper, board, canvas?

Acrylic paint is, for all intents and purposes, plastic. So it doesn't make a big difference to the paint, unlike oils that need to dry. however, the substrate used would be the determining factor.

-e.

huh. didn't even occur to me it would be an issue. I have several acrylic paintings (on illustration board) under glass. I trust its not a concern?

They should be perfectly fine.

I asked if the OP's work was on canvas, as it's not necessary to put canvas work under glass typically, but any illustrator board, paper, etc. should probably be under glass if possible. Masonite? not really necessary.

Any oil paintings tend to do better without glass, unless it's old and has had plenty of time to acclimate and dry. I don't usually put glass over any of my oils.

-e.

They should be perfectly fine.

I asked if the OP's work was on canvas, as it's not necessary to put canvas work under glass typically, but any illustrator board, paper, etc. should probably be under glass if possible. Masonite? not really necessary.

Any oil paintings tend to do better without glass, unless it's old and has had plenty of time to acclimate and dry. I don't usually put glass over any of my oils.

-e.

Thanks! So its just a concern with new oils? How old do they have to be before its OK?