• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some selling advice - slab got cracked during transit!!

27 posts in this topic

Another option is to offer him a discount on one of your future eBay auctions, such as 10% or $15 on any one item. (Or whatever amount you deem appropriate.)

all great ideas guys - thanks

In hopes of good feedback and future sales with him i will offer all of the suggested methods to the buyer (lucky guy)

$11 reholder partial refund

Full Refund with return (without shipping cost)

10 to 15% discount on future purchases(great idea)

I agree with PrismaticSmoke - I think its a sad reality but a reality nonetheless that paypal would give him the refund if he pushed for it. So why go through with the long, painful claim process.

Still patiently awaiting the buyers response to the first email...

I would consider going ahead and sending those options to the buyer without waiting for his response to the first e-mail. After reading back through your first message to the buyer, it doesn't really make it clear that you are willing to pay the reholder fee.

I think you are doing the right thing with your efforts to make the buyer happy. That always pays off in the long run.

I would consider going ahead and sending those options to the buyer without waiting for his response to the first e-mail. After reading back through your first message to the buyer, it doesn't really make it clear that you are willing to pay the reholder fee.

I think you are doing the right thing with your efforts to make the buyer happy. That always pays off in the long run.

yeah I was thinking about that myself. The only thing with that is - I would like to see that the case has been cracked and how bad. Even for just curiosity's sake and if I just offer up the resolution without waiting on the response - he has no incentive to show me what he is talking about. I would also like to see the box. If the box is not damaged - then I feel I need to go even further in my packing precautions to make sure this does not happen again.

This way, I am risking that the buyer will think I am not working with them. But if they just leave it alone after the first response - it probably means the initial email was unfounded. hm

yeah I was thinking about that myself. The only thing with that is - I would like to see that the case has been cracked and how bad. Even for just curiosity's sake and if I just offer up the resolution without waiting on the response - he has no incentive to show me what he is talking about. I would also like to see the box. If the box is not damaged - then I feel I need to go even further in my packing precautions to make sure this does not happen again.

This way, I am risking that the buyer will think I am not working with them. But if they just leave it alone after the first response - it probably means the initial email was unfounded. hm

I see your point, and concur. I would definitely want to see proof of the cracked slab and box.

I have had cracked slabs as a sellar and as a buyer. Slabbed books that are very thick like annuals and magazines stand a bigger risk for getting damaged no matter how good you pack it. I sold a Giant Size Hulk which arrived cracked. The buyer contacted me about it. I asked him to send me a picture of the crack and sure enough, there it was right across the front. Since the book wasn't damaged I offered a refund on the reslabbing fee and even explained how it worked since he wasn't to sure about it and that resolved the problem. So, you are correct to ask for photos.

A word on USPS postal insurance. If a cgc graded book arrives with a cracked or broken slab and you've paid for insurance. The post office keeps everything as evidence. In other words, you will never see that comic book again. In cases like this where the slab is cracked and the book is not damaged, it's better to just get it reslabbed. Insurance is good if the item is either lost or is totally destroyed.