• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel 30 cent Western Variants

25 posts in this topic

Should anybody happen to have a copy of Kid Colt 207, I can trade you ANY other Western title for it, with the exception of Kid Colt 206. For that matter I can trade almost anything you would like for it 893whatthe.gif...other tough 30 cent variants, any of over a dozen 35 cent variants..a plethera of high grade ASM high grade bronze issues or lower quality silver ASM issues. 893blahblah.gif

I have a pretty good lead on at least two copies, so if you need to fill any holes,now is the time to contact me. thumbsup2.gif

Whenever I choose a copy, I'll deal the remainder in a manner reflective of the help that folks have given me. Merry Christmas everybody.

Oh...you know you want it...

tongue.gifhi.gif

The scan is cut off a bit Darth. Remind me again... is that a 1.8 or a 1.0???

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

On a serious note, Darth is without question one of the best and few honest traders around. He has never asked for more or less than what he should get in a trade. On the other hand he has always been willing to trade when it makes good sense for both parties. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I think I posted before...the bokk was "stolen" from Arbutus Jr. HS Library - wherever that is...and it had white contact paper pasted to the inside of the front and back covers and is stamped with In/Out library date stamps 893frustrated.gif - as far as I can tell there is no need for the tape other than to reinforce the binding structurally - oh damn those amateur restorer-high school librarians! There is that FUGLY black marker "110" on the front - there are NO piece missing. The book is intact with all the pages and nothing cut out. I'll have to give it a good look over again to see if I can spot more flaws that bring it down. The cover was not loose...

I think I posted before...the bokk was "stolen" from Arbutus Jr. HS Library - wherever that is...

Don't be too sure it was stolen, as when I was in HS, our library routinely tossed old magazines on a "free table" and let students nab them. We used to camp out at the door on the day when the Sports Illustrated's were scheduled.

Where'd you get the other one you needed?

A collector that I have been corresponding with. A Daethwalker of sorts, only with 30 cent comics instead of 35 cent comics and not quite as nice. Anyway, he was a pretty voracious collector and collected just about all the issues sold. I got a full set of the westerns less Kid Colt 207 and 208. I have quite a few non-westerns yet to come.

I think I posted before...the bokk was "stolen" from Arbutus Jr. HS Library - wherever that is...

Don't be too sure it was stolen, as when I was in HS, our library routinely tossed old magazines on a "free table" and let students nab them. We used to camp out at the door on the day when the Sports Illustrated's were scheduled.

I wish my HS library did that! But we only had News magazines used by our debate team for research 893frustrated.gif - no sports and no comics frown.gif

Maybe if I could determine a check out date with no corresponding check in date on the inside cover then I'd have a clue as to whther my book was truly "hot" or not... smile.gif Or if an Alumni of Arbutus Jr. HS would speak up... confused-smiley-013.gif

The collection I picked up totaled about 103 issues. I am still in the process of getting them all delivered. It looks like there will be a copy of Sgt Fury 134 as well. I am very interested in doing some upgrading as well. I should have additional copies of nearly all superheroes(complete Daredevil, Hulk, nearly complete ASM, Captain America),. refer to the thread posted by Joe Collector if you want to know what constitutes an upgrade. If it's not on the list, I probably don't have a copy of an issue in greater than 7.0 to 7.5, non-slabbed.

One item that I thought might be relatively important with respect to the collection I bought is that the seller does not live anywhere near a "standard" distribution zone. Rather, he was a military enlisted guy at the time the variants came out. He bought all of his issues at the "Stars and Stripes" bookstore. In fact a number of books were sent to me in the original Stars and Stripes plastic bags.

Almost no books are non-variant with the exception of a couple of tough ones, ie Iron Man 89 and Marvel Team Up 48. By the way, I think the scarcity of these two issues is widely underestimated. But as noted previously, he had all but two westerns. He also had one of the two Sgt Furys, 134. But there were no duplicae issues (that is one in 25 cent copy and the other in 30 cent. It was either 30 cent, the vast plurality, or 25 cents, less than 5 out of about 108.

So it seems Marevl took a bit of advantage of our fine men and women in the armed services. At least some of the military bases were outlets for the 30 cent variants. He had a few 1977 issues that would have been variants and were not. So it seems these bases were excluded in the 1977 variant run.

This is the second collection I know of that had a extremely large number of 30 cent variant issues from an armed forces base. To make matters very interesting, the other collection had an extremely high percentage of Marks Jewelers inserts, leading the discoverer of it to call them "variants of variants". It really makes no sense to test-market this form of distribution, so I also had the same thought-Marvel simply tooked advantage of this captive audience to make a few extra bucks.

Should anybody happen to have a copy of Kid Colt 207, I can trade you ANY other Western title for it, with the exception of Kid Colt 206. For that matter I can trade almost anything you would like for it 893whatthe.gif...other tough 30 cent variants, any of over a dozen 35 cent variants..a plethera of high grade ASM high grade bronze issues or lower quality silver ASM issues. 893blahblah.gif

I have a pretty good lead on at least two copies, so if you need to fill any holes,now is the time to contact me. thumbsup2.gif

Whenever I choose a copy, I'll deal the remainder in a manner reflective of the help that folks have given me. Merry Christmas everybody.

I thought that this would be a good time to repost the note in which I had said that I would deal out a slew of 30 cent Westerns, once I got them all back form CGC and sorted out the best and worst.

Not yet. Could have grades any day, but the slabbing was two weeks behind last I heard, so nothing likely for about 2 1/2 weeks at least. That is on all the new Westerns, a bunch of other 30 cent stuff and most of the 35 cent issues. All told I have 160 books coming.

I'll post it all when I get it, as well.