• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this SA DC

14 posts in this topic

Submitted for your consideration...and abject heckling. Robin Hood Tales #11 from 1957. Ross Andru cover. A couple of points:

- There's only one serious flaw with this otherwise very tight, clean book... there's an 'impact tear' (?) at the bottom edge (on Marian's dress). Not as much torn as appears, much of what you see is a crease.

- Given that the highest graded copy is a FN+ 6.5, would this be worth slabbing, depending on the board's consensus grade? Does anyone collect these second-tier DC titles?

345056-Robinhood11fc.jpg.jpg.39f185f7ab6702b8e601ad758c4b1e87.jpg

From what I can see... Damage to the top of the spine (looks rounded from the front, definite light impact on the back), possible small crease top right corner (?), possible stress around the staple holes, and of course the defects already mentioned. You never know how CGC's sliding scale is going to slide on older books, but I'd say you have a real shot at a 7.5. Go for it.

Thanks for the opinions...

- Brian, this is a SA book, so doubt I'd get the "GA nod" from CGC on this one...

- Yes, there's a small (1/8") corner crease in URC

- very minimal damage around top staple - both staples are firm and the cover is tight.

I do think this would net a FN/VF 7.0 at the least... but is it worth slabbing? Even if it came back VF- 7.5, would anyone pay more than 50% of guide for such a book?

I collect these sort of books, but not this particular title (I'm tempted to start). I get the impression that of the few people that do buy them, there aren't many (any ?) high grade nuts. When you do see slabbed copies, they don't go much above guide and sometimes go for less. I always think anything from about F- to F/VF is a hard grade to sell and even 7.0 might struggle around the $120 to $135 mark raw.

The other thing with books like this, is that whoever buys it will probably bust the slab on receipt ro read it, so the idea of paying a premium for a graded book is fairly unappealing.

Anything prior to 1960 is, to me, a golden age book.

I probably would submit the book and see what happens. Sometimes those niche market collectors really bid the hell out of each other when a low census book comes out that they want.

Brian

Sometimes those niche market collectors really bid the hell out of each other when a low census book comes out that they want.

Brian

Good point, Brian - and there's only one other copy slabbed (at 6.5), so mine's bound to be the second-best at worst smile.gif The key is whether spending ~$30 to get it slabbed is gonna be worthwhile...