• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Banning.

52 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Meth is banned until... well, I guess until whenever. He's proved incapable of moderating his own posts to avoid personal attacks - primarily because he feels that he has to respond to baiting rather than simply flagging offensive posts for moderation. He has also proved to be incapable of accepting being moderated without feeling like a martyr and lashing out.

Personally, I don't have any real issue with Meth other than the fact that he has a temper that owns him rather than him owning his temper - a somewhat regrettable way to go through life. I've given him abundant chances on these boards to bring himself under control. Whatever his other sins or virtues may be in the collecting world, the only thing I happen to care about is his conduct on these boards. And the bottom line is that although many of his posts are interesting and comics-related, far too many others are just plain offensive. The most recent posts that landed him for a brief stay in the penalty box were, in fact, vastly improved from the kind of junk he used to produce. Nonetheless, as is his usual pattern, they got worse over the course of the thread due to his tendency to respond in a constantly escalating manner. That, however, is not what got him banned. What got him banned was the fact that on being given a little penalty box time to check himself, he just went off the deep end with his signature line and profile.

I've told him before that he wasn't going to have many more chances when it comes to profanity, personal threats and various other garbage. So that's it.

I'm explaining all of this not out of some desire to justify the move. I'm explaining it because I believe that the community should be kept aware of the standards being enforced and have input into them as well as be aware of what each of you are being asked to live up to.

Meth might be back. Who knows. He's a colorful poster who is clearly passionate and informed about comics and capable, when not pissed off, of contributing well to the discussions here. But the bottom line is that you can't keep ignoring the board rules repeatedly and expect there to never be any consequences.

All of that having been said, I do believe that a number of you out there have baited him on occassion. Usually you manage to keep your posts just this-side of the line while egging him on to step over it. Cut it out. You're giving me a head ache. If Meth had done the right thing, and reported your posts with the "notify moderator" button in the "Post Extras:" menu under each post instead of responding to them, it's likely that you would have been the ones getting warned instead of the other way around. Or, if he'd responded to his penalty box time by understanding where the line was crossed instead of flipping out, he'd be back in cirulation and perhaps reporting some of the initial posts he had a problem with right now.

However, it is difficult for me to trace these little hissy fits to their source as I don't (believe it or not) read every post on the boards. So without people calling specific attention to the issues it's even harder.

The fact that someone may have issues with someone else here does NOT make these boards a soap box for personal attacks. Perhaps some of you should re-read the board rules and Terms of Service linked at the bottom of every page.

The goal is not, by the way, to sanitize these boards into complete boredom or to censure people. Things get a little interesting now and then. Fine. But that kind of stuff just shouldn't go over-the-top and should not take over the contents of these boards to the point where we spend more time reading the posts of people having tantrums against each other than reading about comics.

The last thing I want is to create a chilling effect on the feeling that you can all converse openly on these boards. It defeats the purpose of putting up these boards and it would be a disservice to the community to lose the sense of independence of thought here. But let's just use a little common sense please.

Arch

I just like baiting them. And occasionally, they talk about something that I remember from a long time ago.

If nothing else, they post more, so it's easier to get responses over there. Even with the increased number of coin posters, our boards are still relatively dead.

Gunsmoke,

I'm just too classy to point out that you had to be reading the Comic Boards to notice my posting habits. laugh.gif

I've managed most of Meth's posts. Usually because Arch has deleted them by the time I see them, so I haven't really experiences his antics.

I am glad that you didn't point out that I've been reading the comic posts. Hate for that to get out and ruin my reputation smirk.gif

Like you, I find the comic forum to be a busier place and enjoy hanging out here. Of course, it helps that I grew up reading comics, plus I have those darn CGC coupons that I hate to waste so I'm hanging out hoping to find a "raw" deal to slab and sell.

It's too bad we can't trade those coupons around. I've got those coin coupons that I will probably not use. Maybe I'll send in some random quarters from my pocket, just to see them on the census.

But it woudl be far more beneficial if I could trade them to you guys and get three more comics slabbed.

I think it would be practical if we could specify what type of coupons we receive. Strictly comics, strictly coins, strictly cards, or a mix. Take your pick. No wasted coupons stuck in limbo.

Think of the current revenue savings. Nobody is sick enough to collect coins, comics, and cards, so they won't ever have to pay up on ALL the coupons. laugh.gif

Arch;

I enjoyed many of Meth's posts, but I do think that the signature line was over the top. I can certainly understand why you felt the need to remove him this time. I hope he can get it together and convince you to let him come back, but if he doesn't, I can accept that too. The rules are here for a reason and I don't think they are overly intrusive on anyones ability to post openly. So, in short, I am not gonna kick up a big stink this time smile.gif because I think it was called for in this case.

Phil

heeeeeeeeee's back as anonymous in the silver-age fan back? thread in the silver comics section threatning and egging again. can we please not have anonymous posters anymore? but it's not as bad as it was in the summer with anonymous posters. i don't have a problem with meth, he just has foot in mouth disease, and doesn't know when to shut up. ask him a simple question and he'll freakout into the "green eyed monster".....quoting shakespeare for those who don't know. tongue.gifwink.gifgrin.gif