• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Repair Kit by Restoration Lab circa 1978

29 posts in this topic

While it's probably water soluble, it isn't very archival sounding! Got a staple tear?...DUCK it!

Bill obviously made the switch to japan mending tissue and wheat paste at some point. But we are talking 1978 here, and I doubt ANYONE was too worried about being able to reverse the work done on a book, even professionals.

I also love in his add how he lists "rust proofing staples" as part of the class. Did he spray something on them?

Hmm, I just noticed the staples in the pic. In actuality, they are clean. I don't know why the came out like that in the picture. They must be stainless, though, since they aren't magnetic.

Interestingly enough, I just received a CGC book. In the original seller's photos the bottom staple looked really rusty, but the seller said, "no - it's just the photo". I got the book and the bottom staple is really clean and shiny - no discoloration or rust at all.

I wonder if that's some common photo or scan problem. :shrug:

I think sometimes they do scan dark when in fact they are sparkling. I normally ask when purchasing just in case.

I still cannot believe those don't have some major rust going on.

Do you remember if the kit you ordered was one of many different ones for sale? It sounds like this one was just a straight forward staple/centerfold repair kit. And I am surprised it didn't come with wheat paste as I thought Sarill always used it. wtf is Duckbond Glue anyways?.. :eek:

I'm only guessing on the term Duckbond, but I'm pretty sure.

As far as the different types of kits, I only remember this one type. A friend and I each bought one.

I think I figured out the stapled thing. If you look at the 2 clips, they are reflecting the side of the box. I think the staples are doing the same, but at a different angle and across the ridges of each individual staple in the stack.

:gossip:(sounds good, Mike says to himself)