• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Repair Kit by Restoration Lab circa 1978

29 posts in this topic

Going through my box of comic peripherals(), I came across this item from when I was a wee lad. I remember ordering this through the mail, probably from an early CBG that I subscribed to. The main items missing are a bottle of white glue(which I believe was called Duckbond) and a sheet of repair material that was referred to as gossamer. It was a thin sheet of spun material that was used like rice paper. I do remember fixing a few loose centerfolds way back then.

Items pictured are a couple of paint brushes for applying the glue, a double ended teflon coated spatula, 2 stainless steel clips, and a few stainless staples. I doubt they sold too many of these, but does anyone remember this item?

resto0001.jpg

HPIM0887.jpg

HPIM0888.jpg

Going through my box of comic peripherals(), I came across this item from when I was a wee lad. I remember ordering this through the mail, probably from an early CBG that I subscribed to.

That's a cool bit of nostalgia. Did the kit not include a "how to" pamphlet? I'd be great to read some 'ground zero' thinking and attitudes, see how it's evolved since then.

Going through my box of comic peripherals(), I came across this item from when I was a wee lad. I remember ordering this through the mail, probably from an early CBG that I subscribed to.

That's a cool bit of nostalgia. Did the kit not include a "how to" pamphlet? I'd be great to read some 'ground zero' thinking and attitudes, see how it's evolved since then.

Although I don't see it anymore, it must have had a little instruction sheet or something, because I remember reading how to coat the snip of gossamer with the glue, front and back, before placing it over the tear or staple pull.

Going through my box of comic peripherals(), I came across this item from when I was a wee lad. I remember ordering this through the mail, probably from an early CBG that I subscribed to. The main items missing are a bottle of white glue(which I believe was called Duckbond) and a sheet of repair material that was referred to as gossamer. It was a thin sheet of spun material that was used like rice paper. I do remember fixing a few loose centerfolds way back then.

Items pictured are a couple of paint brushes for applying the glue, a double ended teflon coated spatula, 2 stainless steel clips, and a few stainless staples. I doubt they sold too many of these, but does anyone remember this item?

resto0001.jpg

HPIM0887.jpg

HPIM0888.jpg

I love that the staples are rusty! :roflmao:

Unfortunately...

CGC + Pressing =Profits = Danny D

I follow the synchronicity ;)

Um, i dont.

CGC=reputable business

Pressing=accepted practice (or at the very least, accepted with disclosure)

profits=Capitalism and our basic economic model

Danny D=crook and a shyster of the ultimate magnitude

Nope, i dont see the connection

Hmm, I just noticed the staples in the pic. In actuality, they are clean. I don't know why the came out like that in the picture. They must be stainless, though, since they aren't magnetic.

Interestingly enough, I just received a CGC book. In the original seller's photos the bottom staple looked really rusty, but the seller said, "no - it's just the photo". I got the book and the bottom staple is really clean and shiny - no discoloration or rust at all.

I wonder if that's some common photo or scan problem. :shrug:

Unfortunately...

CGC + Pressing =Profits = Danny D

I follow the synchronicity ;)

Um, i dont.

CGC=reputable business

Pressing=accepted practice (or at the very least, accepted with disclosure)

profits=Capitalism and our basic economic model

Danny D=crook and a shyster of the ultimate magnitude

Nope, i dont see the connection

doh! Oh for the love of Pete. There's no way after five years and 18 thousand posts you still have no inkling Dupak, Ewert, etc. upped their game when CGC label-mania kicked in.

:news: Paper Mechanics tweak CGC grades for profit. Black Hat tweaker or White Hat tweaker, it's what they do. :news:

What a totally cool time capsule Mike, just goes to show how peoples acceptance of a "repaired" comic was back in 1978 compared to today.

Do you remember if the kit you ordered was one of many different ones for sale? It sounds like this one was just a straight forward staple/centerfold repair kit. And I am surprised it didn't come with wheat paste as I thought Sarill always used it. wtf is Duckbond Glue anyways?.. :eek:

And as I understand it, both Susan and Matt trained under Sarill, and Susan eventually worked with and then bought the Restoration Lab from Bill. I think.