• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I Slab this Avengers #4

14 posts in this topic

I have had this Avengers #4 for 25 years, stored in a climate controlled facility.

http://tumacder.com/comic_gifs/avengers_4.jpg

The other day I brought it to dealer and he said that it was touched up on the lower left spine with a black marker and slightly bleed thru the page. W'ell obviously when I was 13 I made mistakes that still haunt me but this really pisses me off. Yeah, I know you guys are laughing out there, but back in the '70's I would have never thought about selling a key book and wanted my precious ones to look their very best. Hey, it only cost me $20.

So what should I do if I want to sell on Ebay, slab or no slab. I understand that I will get a restored rating. I would grade the book a 7.5 - 8.0 without the restoration. What will CGC charge me?

Just to let you know, I am very honest with my buyers on Ebay, and have sold a couple issues stating they had touch ups. Few of my books suffered at my so called artistry but I am paying for my mistake. I sold at a heavy discount a an X-men 2 in fine condition for $150.00 with touched pencil coloring in the title, and a Daredevil 2 in fine condition for $30 with cover touchups....Does anyone out there have a gun I can borrow?

I also welcome any inquires to buying the book.

Sell it raw and note the resto. CGC would cost you money in the long run, as the PLOD would keep the bidding low. You'd probably get (close to) the same amount raw or slabbed on resto, so why pay the slabbing costs? JMO.

Nice looking book, BTW. Still really white! I think you'll be able to sell fairly easy.

Chris

Personally I wouldn't submit a restored book unless it was high ticket Golden Age or has had professional restoration.

For Silver age and later, the purple label is a stigma that will kill any potential selling price, even if the restoration is minor and does not alter the grade.

I'd just sell it raw and note the color touch in the text and with a detailed scan.

Hmmm...guess the scan fooled me as far as the staple....IMO....if you know that there is definate color touch on the book and you are determined to sell I would say sell it "raw" and note the color touch....

If it were my book though I would just keep it.... thumbsup2.gif

LT, that's a real pisser. It's a nice copy of a big book and to keep the thing for 25 years only to find some 893censored-thumb.gif got one over you, 893frustrated.gif

Don't slab. Put it back in the climate controlled facility for another decade or two and just treat it as a long term investment. The market for 'restored' books now isn't too healthy, but who's to say how that will change in 10 or 20 years.

I would grade the book a 7.5 - 8.0 without the restoration.

Personally, I would list it as a 6.0 or 6.5 depending on the back cover. 7.5 and above may be a bit optomistic.

Tomega

Agree. This book is in the fine range. Restored+mid grade = don't slab it. gossip.gif

If I was you..I would set up a different Ebay account...with private feedback and hidden bidder identitys, and a new CGC account... maybe call yourself " Slammer" or..." Mr. Spice"..... and sell the book as a 9.4. Sorry, long time forum reader in-joke.. , as far as broken hearts go, we all have them...at least you didn't pay big bucks for it. grin.gif