• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck, Mile High II and Prices...

39 posts in this topic

First, in case you haven't heard, more CGC graded Mile High II books are showing up at MH's site.

I know everyone's opinion of Chucks' pricing scheme, but I felt the need to call this to your attention, because it's a new level of zaniness from MH.

Probably everyone is already aware that Chuck has 2 pricing levels, standard high prices for CGC books, and of late, extra high prices for the books he is consigning for Dallas Stephens. Well now Chuck has added a new price tier ladies and gentlemen, the "new" Mile High II designated books have prices that dwarf what he is asking for the Dallas Stephens books.

Here is an example: Strange Tales 149, a fairly common issue of ST (8 9.4's):

Dallas Stephens CGC 9.4 full asking price $180, Not unreasonable really

Mile High II CGC 9.2 Asking $450, but hey, on sale for a mere $270...

Here is what really bugs me: $180 for a 9.4 and $270 for a 9.2 OF THE SAME BOOK? Huh? But wait... lest you think this is an oversight, a mere isolated incident, this pricing scheme continues...

Some more examples

ST 154 CGC 9.4 $291, but on sale for $175... reasonable price with the sale

ST 155 MH II CGC 9.6 $1600!?! On sale for $960

ST 156 MH II CGC 9.4 $800, on sale for $480

and finally ST 149 MH II CGC 9.6 $1200, sale price $720. Yes, thats the same book he is offering for $180 in 9.4

???

Remarkably, some board regulars are discussing buying some of the latest slabbed MH II books ... these are people who regularly slam Chuck for his prices and his epic tales of triumph and his tendency to hype anything related to Chuck.

These prices are ridiculous, and the sales absurd. Why the original pricing at all? Is Chuck hoping some rube will wander in with the money he made selling his last cow, and trade it for some "magic comics" ? I'd be ashamed if anyone did actually pay 'full price' as Chuck determines full price. Even with his 60% discounts, he's making out like a bandit.

Chuck is SQUARELY marketing to the rubes! I was out of comics for most of the past 10 years, but when I jumped back in just over a year ago I jumped at purchasing a few if these 'On Sale' issues (Wow - what a deal! 30% off!!!) Luckily it was only about a $25 or so purchase. Being the savvy consumer that I am I picked up on his dealings quickly!

Then again, I'd like to think that this board is made up of 'one-percenters' - you know, we're in the 99th percentile of comics intelligence! That leaves a LOT of folks to be picked on!

Looks like old Chuckles is trying really hard to make the MH2 collection a bonafide pedigree.

Here's a thought...he could be trying to hook 'newbies' (ie, speculators) who have heard of the original MH collection. They can't afford/find/whatever any of those books, but they know the outrageous prices they command. Specu...I mean, newbie, goes on Chuck's site and see's "MH 2 Collection" and figures since they missed the boat 30 yrs. ago, they better jump on this one quick....

Chuck is a dumb-arse, but he's no fool. (Does that make sense?)

Chris

Just own a current OS guide, subscribe to GP, scan eBay for raw sales (carefully check the scans to make sure the grading was in the ballpark), and post here.

That should put one in the 99th percentile, no? wink.gif

Agreed, Chuck's prices are just plain crazy. Agreed, CHUCK is just plain crazy smile.gif

However, slam me all you want, but I picked up 2 MH II bronze age books that I really needed, and paid no more than I would have buying them raw and sending them into CGC. 893whatthe.gif

It's not just that Chuck has his 30, 40, or 50% off sales each week, it is combining his sales with the on-going BARGAINS 30% sale that he only advertised in Marvel comics released in October, and then get free shipping on purchases over $75. Most people are unaware that you can combine the two sales, and actually do pretty well on your purchases.

Call me nuts to deal with the master of trickery and deceit, laugh at the MH II 'pedigree' (I do grin.gif), but don't call me stupid for getting a good deal out of Chuck. Personally, I think you have to have some wits about you to get a 'bargain' out of him... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

However, slam me all you want, but I picked up 2 MH II bronze age books that I really needed, and paid no more than I would have buying them raw and sending them into CGC.

I hear ya, and I wasn't slamming you w/ my post. Heck, I've even been known to buy from Chuck ( 893whatthe.gif). Like you said, there are some deals to be had. But, what others and I were talking about is the collective prices of the MH2 books.

Look at the gouging in the above post. Take a look at Rob's website. It's documented that "in general" Chuck is waaaaaay high. That he's upped the prices on the "MH2" books is laughable. He's trying to get pedigree status for a warehouse find.

What books did you buy from him?

Chris

For fun, here's some MH2's that I saw..

ASM 158 CGC 9.6 777.75 dollars on sale for 466.65

ASM 200 CGC 9.6 313.25 dollars on sale for 187.95

This is just price gouging, nothing more. It's a shame that he does stuff like this.

Brian

WAIT! I found something even better.

Rawhide Kid #66 9.6 for a mere, piddly, insignificant $768.00 - was $1280.00.

If that's too rich for your blood, he has a 9.4 for $384.00

I don't know if I'm more scared by this or the American Idol Christmas Special that't on TV right now.

Nobody's taking into consideration the desirable UNIQUENESS of this important pedigree! 893naughty-thumb.gif Once he sells this round of Mile High 2s...there's probably only another few hundred of each issue to search through and submit! shocked.gifsorry.gif

Nobody's taking into consideration the desirable UNIQUENESS of this important pedigree! 893naughty-thumb.gif Once he sells this round of Mile High 2s...there's probably only another few hundred of each issue to search through and submit! shocked.gifsorry.gif

That's the problem I have with this new round of MH2 submissions. First he says that only a few, and the best, of the warehouse buy were getting the designation. People at the time paid a premium to get these with certificate. Then years later he finds a pallet that he set aside and starts submitting to CGC with the MH2 notation.

So essentially he's screwed over, or at least was deceptive to, those collectors that bought the collection initially.

And who's to say he's not just submitting comics he bought at Motor City Con last month?

I'm staying far far away for these MH2s.....

Jim

slam me all you want

Not slamming, but wondering why you'd want to support the devil.gif himself! I know it's easier to get that particular book at that grade at that moment from Chuck, but I gotta believe in 99% of cases, you can find the same book in grade from someone - anyone - else.

slam me all you want

Not slamming, but wondering why you'd want to support the devil.gif himself! I know it's easier to get that particular book at that grade at that moment from Chuck, but I gotta believe in 99% of cases, you can find the same book in grade from someone - anyone - else.

Yeah, I'm not saying I didn't feel dirty about it - but in the two years I have actively been searching for these 2 comics, they have not shown up on Ebay graded and I have not seen them at any shows I have been to, so I took the deal when it presented itself.

Just to clarify, most of the graded comics Chuck is selling are outrageously priced even after the discounts, and there doesn't seem to be much sense behind the variance in prices. I just found these 2 at the right price at the right moment and pulled the trigger, and I am sure others could find a decent deal too if they searched hard enough. And, as I said earlier, the MH2 'pedigree' means nothing. juggle.gif

Merry Christmas! grin.gifflowerred.gifangel.gif

Alrightee, one crack pipe coming right up. ooo.gifooo.gifooo.gif

I guess I really got a STEAL by getting mine for only $300!!!! confused-smiley-013.gif I figure there's ALREADY dozens of unidentified MH2 copies of this book out there, because it's very common as compared to the other issues around it.