• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,077 posts in this topic

One Timely before I head out to San Diego...

allwinners2.jpg

I hate this cover (Sub-Mariner looks STUPID), but the interiors are pretty awesome. Unfortunately, it is encapsulated so no one will ever be able to see them.

You are right Richard, it is stupid looking, but not nearly as stupid looking as All-Winners #3 or #4!

But, if you gotta have one, yours is the one to have!! :golfclap:

Bill,

I might agree with you on #3 (a little bit) but #4...

allwinners4.jpg

...is one of the all-time classic Timely covers!

Richard, do you have a nice # 5? That's another of those "Love it or Hate it" Avison covers.

Anytime I see a Timely or Nedor cover not done by Schomburg, I think "man, Schomburg could have done that SO much better".

While I agree that Schommy's covers, by and large, were superior to other artists who worked on the many of the same titles it is not absolute by any means.

The Exciting comics run from issue 9 to 21 by Wexler were outstanding! I don't think they need any improvement. The next set of covers until Schomburg takes over are excellent as well. In fact, the whole run looks great.

Nedors as a whole had strong cover art, with some notable exceptions. And the non-Schomburg Captain America covers are about as good as they can get.

2c

Edited by ciorac

Richard, do you have a nice # 5? That's another of those "Love it or Hate it" Avison covers.

I have a pretty nice one, but I can't get to it to scan and post it until after San Diego. Leaving first thing tomorrow morning. Be back Wednesday, August 1st.

Hopefully there will be a bunch of new stuff to scan and post!

I have a pretty nice one, but I can't get to it to scan and post it until after San Diego. Leaving first thing tomorrow morning. Be back Wednesday, August 1st.

Hopefully there will be a bunch of new stuff to scan and post!

Have fun Richard :busy:

I see an All Winners #2, 4, & 5. Can my #3 9.6 copy join in?

West

398846-Allwinners3.jpg

West,

Wow! What an incredible book! Is this a pedigree? If not where on earth did you come across a book so perfect. Truely amazing to me to see a book in 9.2 from this era, let alone a 9.6 which looks the part in every way. (worship)

Paul