• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,079 posts in this topic

hey LF..

thanks...as a matter of fact, I am almost done with my Amazing Man run and my Keen Detective Funny run and I have already started on my Funny Pages run...love those Centaurs!...though, you are absolutely correct, they are considerably more of a challenge than DC or Timely...and, me being a vg/fn kind of guy, I do have more to pick from that if I was high grade motivated (which, I am not, thank goodness!)

just love dem funny books!

gator

That's right........I had forgotten about your Centaur runs. doh!

Was it you or Win that beat me out on the Funny Pages #9 in the last Heritage auction? (tsk)

Anyways, when you turn your sights onto the AMF run and you find some of the HG copies (at a resonable price) out of your collecting grade range, be sure to let me know. lol

Any plans to go Fox hunting in the near future?

it must have been Win...I am concentrating first on the Mad Ming and Arrow covered FP (I have a few early ones, getting one from ciorac soon too)...AMF will be "4th", but that is likely waaaayyyy down the road (got to sell some more action figures first)...

I love Fox as well (All Top, Phantom Lady and Jo Jo GGA, I think Blue Beetle down the road, I just sold my Fantastic #1 to Fuelman, but that is a run I will revisit, the Flame is cool...) but the 2 runs I would love to work on , are of course, Mystery Men and Wonderworld ! followed closely by Weird Comics (just looks so cool)...

I don't really have any interest right now in the Big 3, etc...

rick

Edited by Detective27Kid

I love Fox as well (All Top, Phantom Lady and Jo Jo GGA, I think Blue Beetle down the road, I just sold my Fantastic #1 to Fuelman, but that is a run I will revisit, the Flame is cool...) but the 2 runs I would love to work on , are of course, Mystery Men and Wonderworld ! followed closely by Weird Comics (just looks so cool)...

rick

Rick;

I must say that you have very good taste when it comes to selecting your runs to collect. (thumbs u

By far....the best 2 runs in the Fox titles are Mystery Men and Wonderworld. I've got my run of MM complete from #1 to #11, but gave up on the WW run as I was never able to find a copy of the classic cover #7 issue.

In fact, I even sold off a couple of my WW books back when CGC first came onto the scene around 2000 to test the market. I believe Bedrock now has my old Allentown copy of WW #13 which is still probably the highest graded Fox book out there after all these years with a grade of 9.6 old label. :cloud9:

rick

Rick;

I must say that you have very good taste when it comes to selecting your runs to collect. (thumbs u

By far....the best 2 runs in the Fox titles are Mystery Men and Wonderworld. I've got my run of MM complete from #1 to #11, but gave up on the WW run as I was never able to find a copy of the classic cover #7 issue.

In fact, I even sold off a couple of my WW books back when CGC first came onto the scene around 2000 to test the market. I believe Bedrock now has my old Allentown copy of WW #13 which is still probably the highest graded Fox book out there after all these years with a grade of 9.6 old label. :cloud9:

wonderworld13.jpg

Lou,

The next book on my want-list is the Allentown Mystery Men 10! (Or any high grade copy. I want one bad! I absolutely love that cover.)

Richard

rick

Rick;

wonderworld13.jpg

Lou,

The next book on my want-list is the Allentown Mystery Men 10! (Or any high grade copy. I want one bad! I absolutely love that cover.)

Richard

great stuff....

I can hardly wait....i am selling my batman 1-103 in the comic link Sept-Oct auction...will use proceeds to complete MMC and Captain America, and then what Centaur and Fox I can initially grab....

I get a little pay out in Dec/Jan, and from there, I will run at some more...

this is fun stuff, isn't it!

rick

wonderworld13.jpg

Lou,

Richard

Richard, that is an OUTSTANDING book!! High on my want list , because of its crazy monster cover... but very hard to find in collectable condition. I always seem to just miss it when it does come up for sale. But your copy is (worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Thanks Ryan. From what I've seen, if you are really wanted one just for the cover you should just paint one.

Thanks Ryan. From what I've seen, if you are really wanted one just for the cover you should just paint one.

lolhm , it would actualy be a great one to paint! minimal text, and great imagery! hero, girl and monster!

(is it true there is a Fred Guardineer story i that issue? if so, what strip does he do?)

....i am selling my batman 1-103 in the comic link Sept-Oct auction...will use proceeds to complete MMC and Captain America...

You're selling your Batman run? faint2.gif

I would've guessed that was untouchable and you were planning to keep it forever. :gossip:

lolhm , it would actualy be a great one to paint! minimal text, and great imagery! hero, girl and monster!

(is it true there is a Fred Guardineer story i that issue? if so, what strip does he do?)

(shrug) slabbed :( sorry to say I haven't read it :blush: but it sure looks pretty :cloud9:

(I've now officially given up on trying not to use these emoticons)

....i am selling my batman 1-103 in the comic link Sept-Oct auction...will use proceeds to complete MMC and Captain America...

You're selling your Batman run? faint2.gif

I would've guessed that was untouchable and you were planning to keep it forever. :gossip:

hello all...

yes, it was a tough decision made a little easier...I completed batman 1-100 back in the early 90's....and when I got back into collecting a couple of years ago, I decided I was going to get the Detective run 27 up (after all Batman is my favorite, and action and batman was kind of like "been there, done that")...my good friend was in my office and we were watching an old videotape I had made of my action and batman run's 1-100, and he said he would love to put a batman run together....so, we struck a deal...I would initially finance it, and he would pay me per month, etc (bulk purchasing, opportunities, etc)...so, "my" run started out really not as my run...only after about 6 months, did we determine that he could not finance it, and I "took" over (The completist mentality in me) and made it my mission to complete it...

so, last month, when I got to looking for funding sources to continue buying books that I had never owned, the logical choice was to sell the batman run that 1)I had already completed 2)that I could complete a 3rd time down the road if I so choose, 3) utilize those proceeds to finish and collect books I had never previously had (Timely's and Centaurs)....

now, my tec run, will be the "last" run I would ever sell (only a Ferarri 288 GTO would preceed in my desire, and cause me to prematurely sell my prized comics)...

so, keep the faith with the detectives, but know that half the fun for me, is the hunt!, but when you have no guns to hunt with, well, you know what you have to do...

gator

I'll check my copy.

If there is one, I'll post a photo of the splash page.

Thanks BZ... I think I got that info from Overstreet, so who knows how accurate it is.

wonderworld13.jpg

Lou,

Richard

Richard;

Yes.....that's the copy of WW #13 that I was talking about. :cloud9:

Funny thing is........that was the last Fox book I picked up and the first one that I sold. Harley had both the Allentown WW #13 and #14 at the time at a show in the Northwest back around 1996 or so. I should have picked up both of them instead of just settling for one of them at the time. doh!

Managed to pick up the book for what amounted to something like $1,150 in cash and trade. Saw the #14 being advertised by Metro about a month later at something like $2,100. :screwy: I guess you win some and you lose some.

As for the Allentown MM #10, unfortunately for you (and fortunately for me), I don't think you'll be able to acquire this copy in the near future. lol:baiting:

Managed to pick up the book for what amounted to something like $1,150 in cash and trade.

I was lucky enough to pay a ton more for it a couple of years ago. Happy to do it!

As for the Allentown MM #10, unfortunately for you (and fortunately for me), I don't think you'll be able to acquire this copy in the near future. lol:baiting:

I have tons of patience. So please keep me in mind! I would love to see it some day. I just think that cover is the bomb!

...my good friend was in my office and we were watching an old videotape I had made of my action and batman run's 1-100

That must have been spine tingling, edge of your seat, thrill-a-minute viewing!

...my good friend was in my office and we were watching an old videotape I had made of my action and batman run's 1-100

That must have been spine tingling, edge of your seat, thrill-a-minute viewing!

it actually brought back some fond memories!....one by one, on my kitchen counter top (was the same heigth as the video camera stand)...I would video, pause, replace comic, and repeat...

been meaning to get ponseti to transfer the video to digital for me....

rick

Managed to pick up the book for what amounted to something like $1,150 in cash and trade.

I was lucky enough to pay a ton more for it a couple of years ago. Happy to do it!

From what I heard, at least you was also lucky enough to pay a ton less than the buyer who picked it up from the Greg Manning auction for $5,750 back in 2000. :o

I have tons of patience. So please keep me in mind! I would love to see it some day. I just think that cover is the bomb!

I actually attempted to make a scan of this book a few months ago when AdamStrange was asking me to scan it. I either must have the worst scanner in the world or don't know what I am doing since the scan just looked like krap. Actually, it's probably a lot of both. lol

I actually attempted to make a scan of this book a few months ago when AdamStrange was asking me to scan it. I either must have the worst scanner in the world or don't know what I am doing since the scan just looked like krap. Actually, it's probably a lot of both. lol

My scanner is pretty good. I'd be happy to do it for you.

(no pressure, really)