• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,082 posts in this topic

One of two copies from The Williamsport find.

Jack

My wife sold the other one CaptainAmerica781-1.jpg on me.

very nice copy, mc!

Adam,

Did the Mile High Subby 32 sell before Chuck published his 1977 catalog? Look at those prices - would have bought the lot. devil.gif

And collector's complained about the Chuck's prices. Christo_pull_hair.gif Oh, to have a time machine!

I assume that the book sold before the lists but don't know so. Given the quantity of books I've thought there might well be a number of that the weren't sold and weren't listed -- that Chuck may have held some back to sell at a later date. I have not done any homework on this -- just gut feel -- so I'd be interested in what other more diligent board members think. Our own jbcomicbox used to have the Church Subby 32 (warning: outrageously biased editorial remark coming up cloud9.gif ).

Adam,

Did the Mile High Subby 32 sell before Chuck published his 1977 catalog? Look at those prices - would have bought the lot. devil.gif

<center>

milehighcatalogp44.gif<br><br>

</center>

takeit.gif

I've tried to look over these before, but my eyes have always glazed over by the time I got this far in the catalog. I notice the Superman 1 is listed as F. Didn't the Church Superman 1 sell a few years ago for six figures? It was far better than a Fine. Were there books in this catalog that didn't come from Church? I know there were some duplicates--so was there another Superman 1? What's the deal? : confused-smiley-013.gif

Edited by Weird Paper

Chuck had a particular semi mathematical way of grading the Church books that I will explain in the Pedigree book. The MH Superman #1 was CGC Graded 8.0 (VF). Keep in mind that VF did not even exist as a grade in 1977!

West

VF most certainly did exist in 1977 - it existed in the early 70s when I was collecting the first time. I don't recall if it was listed in the Oversteet grading definitions, but I'm guessing it was. I also recall using (+) grades in the 1970s, don't recall (-) grades so much. Split grades were more controversial, and not really accepted by some until the decimal grading system used by CGC came into acceptance.

Of course many boooks graded a s VF in 1977 would probably be closer to a FN today - unusual the other way around.

VF most certainly did exist in 1977 - it existed in the early 70s when I was collecting the first time. I don't recall if it was listed in the Oversteet grading definitions, but I'm guessing it was. I also recall using (+) grades in the 1970s, don't recall (-) grades so much. Split grades were more controversial, and not really accepted by some until the decimal grading system used by CGC came into acceptance.

Of course many boooks graded a s VF in 1977 would probably be closer to a FN today - unusual the other way around.

Overstreet #7 (1977) lists grades - GD FN MT

I may be wrong, but I thought the Supey 1 had been "tinkered" with a bit. Perhaps that helped it along to a VF?

I may be wrong, but I thought the Supey 1 had been "tinkered" with a bit. Perhaps that helped it along to a VF?

gossip.gif It was de-tinkered.

SubMariner34fc.jpg

Williamsport copy. The other Timely Superhero were in the VG+F range.

Jack Juka

Very nice copy, mc, thanks for posting!

When you say the other books were in the vg+f range were you referring to the 1950s issues?

gossip.gif It was de-tinkered.

I see. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ciorac - what grades do they define in the front of the 1977 edition? I believe Overstreet has always aknowledged more grades than they list prices for.

ciorac - what grades do they define in the front of the 1977 edition? I believe Overstreet has always aknowledged more grades than they list prices for.

MT, NM, VF, FN, VG, GD, FA, P.