• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,079 posts in this topic

You learn quite quickly how to post -- and we're the beneficiaries!

Great looking books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I guess its about time I posted a few more then. Not that I mind. Where else can I brag, my wife thinks there stupid, my boys are both under 3 and would just assume color on them. So I am hopelessly stuck here on the boards pine'nin for attention. I am such a geek! Cap17.jpgYoungAllies5.jpgIMG_0440.jpgIMG_0441.jpgIMG_0442.jpgIMG_0437.jpgIMG_0438.jpg

You may be a geek...but you are OUR kind of geek!! Thanks again for sharing. 893applaud-thumb.gif

My sentiments exactly... first time i have seen PGX restored slabs.. are you thinking of cracking them, or maybe get them CGC'ed instead? (excuse my brainwashed question tongue.gif)

Am i the only who thinks they look nicer than the PGX designated grade on the slabs? confused-smiley-013.gif which fits well in the observation that they were tigh as H.ELL on midgrade books ..

They look more or less just right to me as opposed to undergraded. A lot of cgc 4.0s, certainly SA books, are very nice books too confused-smiley-013.gif . Maybe pgx is just grading them with less of a "GA bump." Actually the one thing I am curious about is the young allies above being noted as professional resto. Unless my eyes deceive me there is clown-college type color touch on the spine. Unless that's the back cover wrapping to the front (?) although either way it looks like there is some color bleeding? All in all though the grading looks pretty good. I do wonder about the resto check though, it would be interesting to send in some very slightly restored books and see if they catch it.

I'm having real fun on these boards and it's nice to share this hobby with you guys. I thought I'd tell you the story of my favorite Timely, Young Allies #4. As a kid, I'd visit my family in California. My Uncle Bill collected (still does) comics and took me to my first con in San Francisco in 79', when I was twelve. He'd always let me look through his golden-age books... after a thorough hand-washing. After the All Stars, Centaurs, and Disneys, this issue leaped out.

Back then, I was really into the Kirby Cap books. To me, there was nothing cooler than a Red Skull cover from the golden age. My uncle said I could pick one book that he'd leave me in his will. My uncle's a great guy, but his memory is lousy. I'd remind him of his statement every 3-5 years and he'd say, "I said that?" I'd think to myself, "aarrgh!" So, the comic bug never went away and I started bothering him to buy the book. He finally broke down in 99'... sending it to me, unbagged, in a manilla enevlope with a piece of cardboard for $800. "Wow, you came up with the money real fast," he stated. It probably would have graded a f/vf before the trip, but at least I finally have the greatest comic associated with my own "golden age"... that isn't a Byrne X-Men.

It's been off the market for thirty years and probably will for another 30, but I'll show it to all my new pals on the boards. Yes, I took advantage of an express grading and slabbed it, but it might be coming back out soon. cloud9.gif1607256-ya4.jpg

1607256-ya4.jpg.a628380803a4ea01640bfcb8654f19e2.jpg

I'm having real fun on these boards and it's nice to share this hobby with you guys. I thought I'd tell you the story of my favorite Timely, Young Allies #4. As a kid, I'd visit my family in California. My Uncle Bill collected (still does) comics and took me to my first con in San Francisco in 79', when I was twelve. He'd always let me look through his golden-age books... after a thorough hand-washing. After the All Stars, Centaurs, and Disneys, this issue leaped out.

Back then, I was really into the Kirby Cap books. To me, there was nothing cooler than a Red Skull cover from the golden age. My uncle said I could pick one book that he'd leave me in his will. My uncle's a great guy, but his memory is lousy. I'd remind him of his statement every 3-5 years and he'd say, "I said that?" I'd think to myself, "aarrgh!" So, the comic bug never went away and I started bothering him to buy the book. He finally broke down in 99'... sending it to me, unbagged, in a manilla enevlope with a piece of cardboard for $800. "Wow, you came up with the money real fast," he stated. It probably would have graded a f/vf before the trip, but at least I finally have the greatest comic associated with my own "golden age"... that isn't a Byrne X-Men.

It's been off the market for thirty years and probably will for another 30, but I'll show it to all my new pals on the boards. Yes, I took advantage of an express grading and slabbed it, but it might be coming back out soon. cloud9.gif1607256-ya4.jpg

Sharp !

It's been off the market for thirty years and probably will for another 30, but I'll show it to all my new pals on the boards. Yes, I took advantage of an express grading and slabbed it, but it might be coming back out soon. cloud9.gif

Great story Mike!

You may be a geek...but you are OUR kind of geek!! Thanks again for sharing. 893applaud-thumb.gif

My sentiments exactly... first time i have seen PGX restored slabs.. are you thinking of cracking them, or maybe get them CGC'ed instead? (excuse my brainwashed question tongue.gif)

I had not considered regrading them, I really only had them entombed for protection. I consider myself to be a very strict grader, so on a few issues, I would say a little tight but overall I think they have been real accurate. The Young A. book with M P does have a little red felt pen action(def amt.) but also some professional work. I hope you still enjoy them even though they are not CGC, Comics are still comics.

I had not considered regrading them, I really only had them entombed for protection. I consider myself to be a very strict grader, so on a few issues, I would say a little tight but overall I think they have been real accurate. The Young A. book with M P does have a little red felt pen action(def amt.) but also some professional work. I hope you still enjoy them even though they are not CGC, Comics are still comics.

Of course. I could care less about the grading, I can grade for myself.. keep posting these great books 893applaud-thumb.gif

not only do i enjoy them my friend, i envy them 893applaud-thumb.gif I was asking since i crack all CGC'ed golden age i have bought, even in the 9.0-9.2 range, and i so i assumed since they are midgrade you kept them slabbed for liquity and possible resale reasons, which didnt make much sense in a PGX slab, given the "sligth" market favouring of CGC. Offcause if you sent them in yourselfes you would allready have had that experiecence.

Keep them coming thumbsup2.gif

I know if i had them my cracking fingers would itch for holding the raw beautiful pages in my steady hands cloud9.gif

not only do i enjoy them my friend, i envy them 893applaud-thumb.gif I was asking since i crack all CGC'ed golden age i have bought, even in the 9.0-9.2 range, and i so i assumed since they are midgrade you kept them slabbed for liquity and possible resale reasons, which didnt make much sense in a PGX slab, given the "sligth" market favouring of CGC. Offcause if you sent them in yourselfes you would allready have had that experiecence.

Keep them coming thumbsup2.gif

I know if i had them my cracking fingers would itch for holding the raw beautiful pages in my steady hands cloud9.gif

I actually did slab them all, I really prefer the holer for safety, I have in fact broke all that came in CGC and put in other, all but one graded the same by the way, The one that didn't I thought was undergraded, and so did seller. Guess what it was came back a 7 from a 6.5.

Well I guess a few more are in order!

65, 69, 67 are not quite "in order" but I think we can forgive you. wink.gif Very nice, Mr. Schomburg! 893applaud-thumb.gif

There's something very appealing about Lilliputian-themed covers but what the heck is that hand reaching for?

Cap69.jpg