• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,065 posts in this topic

mystic2.jpg

Just a little sumpin' to test whether my posts are working. Got this at the 1981 San Diego Comic-Con from Ron Pussell (Redbeard's). I remember he had it priced at $1500, a lot of dough back then. More than I paid for Mystic #1. Esoteric books were all the rage in the early "80s and Ron was specializing in them. From me he took stuff like Lars of Mars 11, a Frazetta Movie Romance, and two high grade copies of Complete Book of True Crime. There was more and I am sure he made a boatload of money off of them but I still think I got the better end of the deal. That's the sign of a good trade!

Holly Hanna! What a superb copy, thank you for sharing the book and history.

Paul

mm46.jpg

Got this from the Heritage White Rose sale. This was before Crippens were such a big deal. The original holder had "D Copy" on it. (I used to crack everything out of the holders, but a divorce, and grimey comic geek hands, changed my thinking.) While I know there are rarer Marvel Mystery issues I don't think any are as tough to pry out of people's hands as the issues from 36 - 48. All have GREAT covers and all are really undervalued in the guide. I paid over $6000.00 for this but I had never seen a copy (yes, I said any copy) available in high grade. I think this may still be the highest on the census. No, it ain't for sale!

mystic3.jpg

I used to work at a comic store while I was in high school in the late '70s in Houston called Camelot. It was owned by Burrel Rowe (the guy who loaned Chuck the money for....). I would work on the weekends and holidays for credit. There was a warehouse room upstairs and all I did was sort comics all day. I found this in a stack. It cost me $100.00 in work trade. That was about 25 hours. Heck of a deal.

Sweet. Keep those babies coming. 893applaud-thumb.gif

believe me, he can keep those babies coming until your retinas are but burned-out cinders. of course, you can still thumb and smell your books thereafter.

mm46.jpg

Got this from the Heritage White Rose sale. This was before Crippens were such a big deal. The original holder had "D Copy" on it. (I used to crack everything out of the holders, but a divorce, and grimey comic geek hands, changed my thinking.) While I know there are rarer Marvel Mystery issues I don't think any are as tough to pry out of people's hands as the issues from 36 - 48. All have GREAT covers and all are really undervalued in the guide. I paid over $6000.00 for this but I had never seen a copy (yes, I said any copy) available in high grade. I think this may still be the highest on the census. No, it ain't for sale!

Good lord that's a sweet book. Just stunning.

mystic4.jpg

I honestly don't remember where I got this book. It was in the early '90s. It was the last one I needed to complete the run. It wasn't sold to me as the San Francicso. The Tom Reilly stamp is buried in the black and white back cover and you really have to look to find it. Matt Nelson pointed it out to me one day when he was going through my books. Frisco or not it is an IMPOSSIBLE book to get in grade. I think the next highest is a 4.5.

submariner32.jpg

Someone asked for a post of this a few weeks back after Pons-Con. I got this from Rob Hughes two years ago. He got it a few years before that from Bob Casali. I believe Bob has another nice copy. And I know the Ohio copy is maybe nicer. It may not be as tough as people think, but who's selling?

believe me, he can keep those babies coming until your retinas are but burned-out cinders. of course, you can still thumb and smell your books thereafter.

If Billy asks you to smell his thumb......DON'T

submariner32.jpg

Someone asked for a post of this a few weeks back after Pons-Con. I got this from Rob Hughes two years ago. He got it a few years before that from Bob Casali. I believe Bob has another nice copy. And I know the Ohio copy is maybe nicer. It may not be as tough as people think, but who's selling?

I absolutely love that book, use to drool over it on a daily basis with Rob had it on his website and was sad to see it go. Of course if you ever want to down grade to a nice 5.5 copy I'd be more than happy to work a deal out. flowerred.gif Fabulous books. hail.gif

Here is a lesser grade, but equally cool book for all of you Timely fanatics. daring4.jpg

if only mine was of such a "lesser" grade. this is the daring most reminiscent of early marvels--after #1, my favorite of the run.

and as to i being a fanatic, i spent a good deal of time coming up with the perfect rejoinder: so?

two pretty books sir, congrats.

Thanks, but they were both sold in unhappier times. I had the scans in a file and thought the folks in this thread might enjoy them. However, I don't want to misrepresent anything, so I will only post scans of books currently in my collection from now on. thumbsup2.gif

It would be amazing! I am sure.

So I am starting to think that everything I ever thought about GA comics is wrong. I was reading the Tom R. thread, I think there are some amazing books out there tucked away in collections, and we may not see these for another 10-20 yrs depending on how long some of these collectors live. I think there may well be many more copies of some of these books out there, but they arn't and will not be for sale for a while.

Paul

submariner32.jpg

I absolutely love that book, use to drool over it on a daily basis with Rob had it on his website and was sad to see it go. Of course if you ever want to down grade to a nice 5.5 copy I'd be more than happy to work a deal out. flowerred.gif Fabulous books. hail.gif

Richard was kind enough to talk with me about this book at Mega-Con. Let's just say it would take your 5.5 AND a REALLY big wad of cash to get him to part with it. thumbsup2.gif

If Billy asks you to smell his thumb......DON'T

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

mystic4.jpg

I honestly don't remember where I got this book. It was in the early '90s. It was the last one I needed to complete the run. It wasn't sold to me as the San Francicso. The Tom Reilly stamp is buried in the black and white back cover and you really have to look to find it. Matt Nelson pointed it out to me one day when he was going through my books. Frisco or not it is an IMPOSSIBLE book to get in grade. I think the next highest is a 4.5.

i was there when it was pointed out--wasn't mattie. it was a bird from a more northern clime. a very excitable bird.

Richard was kind enough to talk with me about this book at Mega-Con. Let's just say it would take your 5.5 AND a REALLY big wad of cash to get him to part with it. thumbsup2.gif

If i was going to unload a big wad of cash it certainly would be for this book. Are you saying a might have a glimmer of hope. cloud9.gif