• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,103 posts in this topic

mm 72, 6.5.

story: this is the first timely bedrock ever owned. but then he became possessed by the mint-monster, and jilted his first love for a painted-lady-hi-grade.

he did put his buddy into this one with the promise that if i ever upgraded, this goes back to him. so, tho' not exactly faithful, he's not entirely bereft of loyalty, either. i guess that's really even more than we could expect from a texan.

mm72.jpg

mm 73, 4.5. i'm always looking to upgrade my timely run, but i've passed on many ops on this one--just don't care for the cover. i think i like 77 better, notwithstanding subby's head.

I don't know Mr. Parker but I do like this cover. It's an unusual theme in those covers to show monster, like these werewolves. Typically, the weird menace is left to be discovered on the inside and not trotted out on the cover. That the werewolves are on display attracts me for a Timely of that period.

mm 73, 4.5. i'm always looking to upgrade my timely run, but i've passed on many ops on this one--just don't care for the cover. i think i like 77 better, notwithstanding subby's head.

I don't know Mr. Parker but I do like this cover. It's an unusual theme in those covers to show monster, like these werewolves. Typically, the weird menace is left to be discovered on the inside and not trotted out on the cover. That the werewolves are on display attracts me for a Timely of that period.

With regards to the MMC #73, I have a feeling the cover was supposed to be the splash page. Think about it. This is not a Schomburg cover nor is it a typical Marvel Mystery cover. I have a feeling Schomburg was late getting Timely a cover this month so they had to scramble and use what was available, that being the intended splash page.

DSC02198.jpg

Possibly. We'll have to ask Billy what the splash looks like to see if it's the same (or is his copy also slabbed?). I really like the contrast of the black to the red flames and the eerie colors to the werewolves. I'm easily pleased I guess.

Love the goofy mummy fun cover on the 71 :thumbsup:

i'll check the splash tonite.

mm 71, 6.5. love joe's store-stamp.

mm71.jpg

My copy, ...graded 7.5 (Matt Nelson assures me that getting Joe's store-stamp means an automatic grade bump if resubmitted ;):grin: )...

img_MarvelMystery71_071.jpg

Notice that the price was left off of #71 by mistake; that has to be a rare production slip-up. :gossip:

mm 72, 6.5.

story: this is the first timely bedrock ever owned. but then he became possessed by the mint-monster, and jilted his first love for a painted-lady-hi-grade.

he did put his buddy into this one with the promise that if i ever upgraded, this goes back to him. so, tho' not exactly faithful, he's not entirely bereft of loyalty, either. i guess that's really even more than we could expect from a texan.

mm72.jpg

Bought this copy at one of the early Houston Cons ('73 or '74) from Tanner Miles for $25.

I decided that Billy should have it so that when I visited we would have something to talk about.

I like the cover as well -- much more subtle than the typical cover in the run.

You've been posting some outrageously nice Timely's lately, West! :cloud9:

With regards to the MMC #73, I have a feeling the cover was supposed to be the splash page. Think about it. This is not a Schomburg cover nor is it a typical Marvel Mystery cover. I have a feeling Schomburg was late getting Timely a cover this month so they had to scramble and use what was available, that being the intended splash page.

DSC02198.jpg

Now I wonder if Bedrock is holding an 8.0 or 8.5 hole-card for a four card straight. hm

I sold a run of Marvel Mystery from 60 - 92 through Heritage in '05. The only late issue I've replaced is #72, for sentimental reasons...

mm72.jpg