• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,099 posts in this topic

This one hasn't even arrived yet. Doing the Billy Parker style thing anyway :applause:

cap62.jpg

Love that book. Congrats Jimbo :applause:

Thanks Billbo :hi:I've even got an undercopy to sell next month. Nothin' special, just a 4.5 blue :)

Nice pages? :wishluck:

I once owned the Chicago Mystic #9 in 9.4 Qualified with a centerfold detached I sold it at a premium through Heritage a few years ago in favor of my blue label 8.0.

Wondering now if I made the right choice... What do you guys prefer,,, a higher graded Qualified book or a 8.0 or 8.5 blue? Just wondered...

I'd rather have the Chicago. A loose centerfold doesn't bother me as much, and that book is gorgeous.

I'm with the geek on this one.

This one hasn't even arrived yet. Doing the Billy Parker style thing anyway :applause:

cap62.jpg

Love that book. Congrats Jimbo :applause:

Thanks Billbo :hi: I've even got an undercopy to sell next month. Nothin' special, just a 4.5 blue :)

[font:Comic Sans MS]That's a very pretty copy of Cap #62, and one of the best Shore Cap covers! Congrats! :applause:

BTW, it's amazing how Timely predicted Amazons cutting edge influence over America. :grin:

I know this scan is awful, but here's my copy in the raw...[/font]

img_CaptAmer62_078-1.jpg

Nice copy David (thumbs u I agree that it's one of Shores best later Cap covers!! There's a "sweet spot" in the latter part of the Cap run where I REALLY dig the covers!! I guess the 60's numbering on out for the most part. They're actually affordable in grade too!! 2 to 3 k for high grade isn't too bad :screwy:

Jumpin' Jehoshaphat! (worship)

I loved this cover as a kid,,, most of my attraction to Timely covers came for me as a kid after having Steranko's history of the comics... I had never seen golden age covers before that... this one was one of my favorites.

In the days before CGC a loose centerfold was never that big a deal as a tear on a page was once considered more of a defect, now it's the opposite.. Also, staining or foxing came second to the structural integrity of a book i.e. tear or crease, now it's the opposite.. We used to grade on the aesthetics of a book, it's eye appeal i.e., gloss and color, the whiteness of a book over a loose centerfold, but now its all different. So I sold my 9.4 Chicago Mystic 9 green. Grading standards are no longer pluralistic

.I was just wondering how many of you out there would just rather have a 8.0 blue label with notes.. or a green 9.4 with notes? Which would command more value in the market?

It's hard to tell with this book as there isn't a lot of recent sales data on this one to go on but typically a green label = discount. I feel that when you spend thousands of dollars on a book that you have no choice but to factor in the investment aspect and I personally feel that the high end collector might be turned off by a green label and would rather have a lower but still high grade universal (like you in '05 for example?). Granted the comparison is a VF blue vs. a NM green but I feel the VF would be more desirable within the investment collector crowd although a loose centerfold would be mighty tempting for a possible re-attatchment and flip but that's another story. I think you made a good call. Here's my copy btw.

129731.jpg.15951d544dab58af5ef17583648ce1cc.jpg