• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,063 posts in this topic

I'd love to see any information about the provenance of a book on the label. Let the market decide whether a particular "pedigree" deserves a premium. (I was toying with the idea of selling my Cap 10 to pay for recent purchases - some scoundrel bid me way the heck up on the Catman 13 I bought - but it's a tough decision now that I know a little bit more about where the book might have come from.)

I'd love to see any information about the provenance of a book on the label. Let the market decide whether a particular "pedigree" deserves a premium. (I was toying with the idea of selling my Cap 10 to pay for recent purchases - some scoundrel bid me way the heck up on the Catman 13 I bought - but it's a tough decision now that I know a little bit more about where the book might have come from.)

[font:Times New Roman]I know that scoundrel all too well, and yes, he's a rascal. groucho.gif

Full provenance is often difficult to ascertain given the number of times a book may have changed hands since entering the market, pedigree status notwithstanding. Also, the premium placed on pedigrees is all over the map with the exception of a few legendary collections.

Condition, including PQ and overall eye appeal, influence my buying habits a lot more than pedigree status, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in acquiring pedigreed copies.

One last bit of advice. If you can, hold onto your Cap 10 awhile longer as it's a blue ribbon title with a lot more potential, IMO. [/font]

But who's to say how many high grade books there are in a collection relative to quantity that should qualify?

[font:Times New Roman][font:Times New Roman]That's a good question! I'm guessing that the legal term for this would be preponderance of the evidence, but I'll need to confer with Straw-Man before daring to apply a courthouse definition to such a whorehouse process.[/font][/font] lol

i never got the sense that there was much weighing of "preponderance of the evidence" going on with cgc's determinations of ped/not a ped. instead, i felt they were more like justice potter speaking to the issue of obsenity in movies---"I know it when I see it."

I'd love to see any information about the provenance of a book on the label. Let the market decide whether a particular "pedigree" deserves a premium.

[font:Times New Roman]

Full provenance is often difficult to ascertain given the number of times a book may have changed hands since entering the market, pedigree status notwithstanding. Also, the premium placed on pedigrees is all over the map with the exception of a few legendary collections.

Condition, including PQ and overall eye appeal, influence my buying habits a lot more than pedigree status, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in acquiring pedigreed copies.

[/font]

When I mentioned the provenance, I was really thinking "original owner". To me it makes a book a little more interesting if I know that information, even if it doesn't add any value. I agree that it definitely doesn't trump grade or freshness!

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the Selkirk collection... mostly high grade books with snow white pages... A smattering of titles ... when I saw the list I thought it was partial...When Tracy the son to the original owner tried to get pedigree status with CGC he had already sold many of the books raw... so CGC might not have seen the best examples, I don't know? Anyway.. my point is that CGC might not at times be able to "see it ( a complete collection, in order) to know it"... I think its a great idea to establish the original province of a collection.

Edited by sartre

But who's to say how many high grade books there are in a collection relative to quantity that should qualify?

[font:Times New Roman][font:Times New Roman]That's a good question! I'm guessing that the legal term for this would be preponderance of the evidence, but I'll need to confer with Straw-Man before daring to apply a courthouse definition to such a whorehouse process.[/font][/font] lol

i never got the sense that there was much weighing of "preponderance of the evidence" going on with cgc's determinations of ped/not a ped. instead, i felt they were more like justice potter speaking to the issue of obsenity in movies---"I know it when I see it."

[font:Times New Roman]Is that anything like Harry Potter waving a wand over the books?[/font] hm

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the Selkirk collection... mostly high grade books with snow white pages... A smattering of titles ... when I saw the list I thought it was partial...When Tracy the son to the original owner tried to get pedigree status with CGC he had already sold many of the books raw... so CGC might not have seen the best examples, I don't know? Anyway.. my point is that CGC might not at times be able to "see it ( a complete collection, in order) to know it"... I think its a great idea to establish the original province of a collection.

Here is one book from the collection. Bought through eBay.

batman_10s.jpg

Does anyone know why Cookeville books were never given pedigree status by CGC?

High grade specimens like the Caps you and Jimbo posted are the exception rather than the rule. The Cookeville collection was certainly large enough and vintage enough to qualify as a pedigree, but the vast majority of the copies I've seen are in the VG to VF range. In fact, Overstreet used the Marvel Tales #93 I posted earlier as an example of a VG+ book in the First Edition of his Comic Book Grading Guide.

Here's my only book from the Cookeville collection:

superman24cgc7.0.jpg

On the subject as to what constitutes a collection versus a Pedigree....according to Borock quantity was never the issue. I asked him specifically as to why the Williamsport collection was not considered a pedigree. There was a vast run of high grade books from the 50's with many books grading well above 9.0. They were bought off the stands by the father. Borock insisted that the #1 issues needed to be in very high grade. The early issues in the Williamsport collection (purchased by the father) were well read and the issues were given relatively low grades. The son continued to buy the books but never read any leaving a very high grade comic collection. Thus, Borock insisted, it's a collection and with the dearth of high grade 1's couldn't be considered a pedigree.

Does anyone know why Cookeville books were never given pedigree status by CGC?

High grade specimens like the Caps you and Jimbo posted are the exception rather than the rule. The Cookeville collection was certainly large enough and vintage enough to qualify as a pedigree, but the vast majority of the copies I've seen are in the VG to VF range. In fact, Overstreet used the Marvel Tales #93 I posted earlier as an example of a VG+ book in the First Edition of his Comic Book Grading Guide.

Here's my only book from the Cookeville collection:

superman24cgc7.0.jpg

On the subject as to what constitutes a collection versus a Pedigree....according to Borock quantity was never the issue. I asked him specifically as to why the Williamsport collection was not considered a pedigree. There was a vast run of high grade books from the 50's with many books grading well above 9.0. They were bought off the stands by the father. Borock insisted that the #1 issues needed to be in very high grade. The early issues in the Williamsport collection (purchased by the father) were well read and the issues were given relatively low grades. The son continued to buy the books but never read any leaving a very high grade comic collection. Thus, Borock insisted, it's a collection and with the dearth of high grade 1's couldn't be considered a pedigree.

That's quite a book :applause:

[font:Times New Roman]Beautiful indeed! Sartre's high grades are absolutely killer. smiley-shocked015.gif

I can follow-up Steven's MM #15 with a nice raw cover-cleaned copy of MM #16.

This is one of my favorite early Schomburg Torch covers... [/font]

933a7ec6-98ff-4124-a4a7-b5a11ba9bcca_zpsd0f418f5.jpg