• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,102 posts in this topic

xxx

I'm always curious about the provenance of books. 12 years ago I bought a Cap #10 from you on E-Bay (after you had upgraded). That book has a cursive "SN" written on the big "M" in pencil. Your #48 has "SN" printed in the same spot. It stands to reason that the books may have had the same original owner. Do you have any idea who that S.N. might have been? (Do you remember the Cap 10?)

136491.jpg.385d0282562b30076149a0735b4aa337.jpg

136492.jpg.96d0b92672db350b85126616bfb9e8d3.jpg

yes I do remember that book... I bought it at a comic con here in NYC about 15 years ago... I have seen that marking on many Timely books especially Caps... I remember bringing it to the attention to Steve Fishler... the origin was a mystery to him as well.. here is another from my collection with the SN ..

136493.jpg.71903cd5e93d1deeb7a6985db2cb3f7d.jpg

Interesting! I guess it'll remain a mystery.

SN books (at least those coded similar to Sartre's Cap 67) are part of the Cookeville, TN collection discovered by Overstreet.

SN books (at least those coded similar to Sartre's Cap 67) are part of the Cookeville, TN collection discovered by Overstreet.

I guess my Cap 10 is the oddball, with the cursive SN. I'll have to keep an eye out for similarly marked issues.

I guess my Cap 10 is the oddball, with the cursive SN. I'll have to keep an eye out for similarly marked issues.

I don't think adamstrange was implying that your Cap is not a Cookeville copy. There are Cookeville copies with a printed SN (most common), a cursive SN, and/or sometimes both (like the Marvel Tales #93 shown below). The SN may be a distributor code (similar to the Omaha News ON code found on the early Larsons) rather than the owner's initials.

MT-93-Cook.jpg

I think you called it! I just read about the Cookeville collection on another site (comicbookpedigrees.com), and it said the owner's name was Leroy Mackie. So apparently the SN was some kind of distributor's mark. It seems like I learn something new about this hobby every day!

I don't think adamstrange was implying that your Cap is not a Cookeville copy.
Correct. I'm not up to speed enough on all of the SN distributor markings to know whether or not Jimbo's is a Cookeville.

I'm quoting from old threads:

From Matt Nelson:

"Named for its point of origin (Cookeville, Tennessee) the collection was acquired in the 1990's by Steve Geppi, who integrated copies he needed into his personal collection and placed the rest in the Diamond Gallery stock. Cookevilles are very easy to recognize because of the "SN" mark. Sometimes the owner's name, Leroy Mackie can be found on the cover as well. The Cookeville collection runs the gamut of nearly every genre, totalling about 2000 comics from the early 1940s to the early 1950s."

Borock said it was more of just a collection of books... he even calls it the Cumberland collection.

Does anyone know why Cookeville books were never given pedigree status by CGC?

High grade specimens like the Caps you and Jimbo posted are the exception rather than the rule. The Cookeville collection was certainly large enough and vintage enough to qualify as a pedigree, but the vast majority of the copies I've seen are in the VG to VF range. In fact, Overstreet used the Marvel Tales #93 I posted earlier as an example of a VG+ book in the First Edition of his Comic Book Grading Guide.

But who's to say how many high grade books there are in a collection relative to quantity that should qualify?

[font:Times New Roman][font:Times New Roman]That's a good question! I'm guessing that the legal term for this would be preponderance of the evidence, but I'll need to confer with Straw-Man before daring to apply a courthouse definition to such a whorehouse process.[/font][/font] lol