• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

People's thought on Spiderman 145 cover on Heritage?

36 posts in this topic

That Sub Mariner still shines, Dan.

It's possible the Kane 145 pencils exist on another board though I've never seen them. Pencil marks can also be erased during the inking process so you can't always be sure. It's been over 10 years since I owned the cover, and I don't remember if there were any pencil marks on it. There may not have been.

Again, my feeling is that it's Romita Sr's inks that gives this cover it's value.

The ASM cover is an A cover in every way - meaning the perfect art team on the character you want with an A villain and in perfect condition. The vellum is not really a factor on this particular cover. I know, because I used to own the cover and I miss it. I sent it to Gordon Christman to have it restored when the vellum was not quite adhered properly. Gordon cleaned it and placed it back on the board and replaced the stats that had yellowed. The cover is completely original, with the exception of the logo and stats, and displays beautifully. It does not look anything like a typical vellum cover. It's one of the finest examples of a Kane/Romita ASM cover in existence IMHO.

I think there are two reasons that vellum gets a bad rap. The first is the condition as has been discussed here. The second, is that usually there are two artists that are involved in creating a cover. With a board cover, generally one artist lays down the pencils and another artist draws the inks over them. With a vellum cover what tends to happen is the inker places the transparent vellum over the pencils and then inks the piece. So the published vellum piece may not have the original pencils underneath by the penciller. This doesn't matter when you've got the artist you want doing the inks, like here in the case with Romita Sr. But if the penciller were say Kirby and the inker Giacoia you might value the piece much less knowing that Kirby never touched the piece you are buying.

It's this kind of uncertainty coupled with qustionable condition that makes buying vellum less desirable for some collectors.

But there are some great vellum covers and this is one of them. I foolishely sold Dan Forman one of the other great vellum Romita covers in my younger days that I want back. :)

Glen Brunswick

Well, consider me a better informed newbie! Thanks for such a great post!

While every piece is different, the problems with vellum will be evident as soon as you see the item. I once owned a Romita Super Story house ad where the vellum was glued onto the bristol paper. The only problem was the "rippling" effect when he didn't smooth out and flatten the vellum completely when being pasted onto the bristol.

Cheers!

N

I loved that page... too bad I didn't have the scratch to buy it from you.

I was excited when I initially saw it, but then read about the replacement portions and vellum and was not quite so excited. Has anyone seen this cover? I would love to hear more about it.

spiderman_145.jpg

The bidding has begun! Going to be interesting to watch/participate

I was excited when I initially saw it, but then read about the replacement portions and vellum and was not quite so excited. Has anyone seen this cover? I would love to hear more about it.

spiderman_145.jpg

I'm gonna bid....I've got deep pockets....deep EMPTY pockets lol GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

spiderman_145.jpg

I'm gonna bid....I've got deep pockets....deep EMPTY pockets lol GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Didn't this end? Thought it was at $25k and assumed it finsihed. Any discussion? or did it get discussed in a different thread?

I personally think the cover at 20K was a bargain.

- it may be above issue # 100 but the cover layout is great with a decent villian from Spidey's rogue gallery. This may be one of my top 10 classic Spidey covers from an artistic design viewpoint (not historical storyline significance).

- the cover is from the flagship ASM title.

- even if there are no Kane pencils underneath, it's all Romita art and the published cover.

- the vellum looks to be in great shape.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

N

I personally think the cover at 20K was a bargain.

- it may be above issue # 100 but the cover layout is great with a decent villian from Spidey's rogue gallery. This may be one of my top 10 classic Spidey covers from an artistic design viewpoint (not historical storyline significance).

- the cover is from the flagship ASM title.

- even if there are no Kane pencils underneath, it's all Romita art and the published cover.

- the vellum looks to be in great shape.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

N

You forgot the most important aspect of this OA piece; this particular Spidey issue contained the sought-after Marvel value Stamp #100 featuring Galactus!!!! :D