• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full Tuska Story-- 1953. Should I sell on Ebay or Heritage or other?

7 posts in this topic

I have a three page George Tuska story from 1953 called, "The Helmsman". It was originally published by Standard in "The Unseen" #12. It is pre-code horror though there is nothing terribly horrific about it and I don't think it would have scared anybody. The pages are very large in size with a 12" by 18" work area and large borders. They are in very nice condition with nothing really wrong with them. The first page has two punched holes in the margin which may have been put there by the publisher or printer. They are not browning or marred in any way.

I will put the pages up as images but it will be a battle scanning them because they are so big.

Now I want to get rid of these and make as much money as I can. What is the best way to sell them? I am used to ebay but I am used to buying and selling comics there. I have seen Heritage. Would they take this sort of thing? Would I be better off after they take their fee? Does my selling from Canada effect me on this sort of deal.

Does anyone have a wild guess as to what these things are worth? I have very little knowledge of the art market.

So pre-code horror by Marvel Silver Age artist George Tuska, three page full story in excellent condition-- What do you think?

Don't forget Comic Link. It's certainly worth considering since they've got their next auction about to hit. I don't know what they charge, though.

Ebay has become such a fee hog -- and they want you to use their fee-hoggish Paypal, too -- that it's hard to feel good about using the site. They'll hit you hard.

Heritage, as I understand it, doesn't want you knocking at their door unless you've got $5K of material to sell. I don't see the Tuska story as $5K of happiness.

I consign to Heritage all the time with no problems, and those minimum values everyone is throwing around are incorrect. Go look at Heritage yourself, and you will see stuff valued from $50 to $50,000.

Heritage is THE place to sell...instead of guessing, why not just contact them? Lon Allen is a great guy and very helpful.

I've sold drawings worth $125 there, up to art worth $20K.

Thanks for the information about Heritage. I will contact them as well as comiclink. I have never purchased from Heritage because I can't afford it and for that reason it seems like a bad habit for me to get into. Selling, though, may be a different story. I buy and sell on ebay and though I have been disappointed with some of ebay's policies, I have for the most part been satisfied. Also, I have no idea what the value of these three Tuska pages are. I would guess $300 at the low end and $2500 at the top. That is quite a range. Does anyone have any experience with this type of art? I have none. The little exprerience I have with any original art, is dated. I assume that Heritage would give me an estimated value but I also assume that they would be doing this not for my benefit but for their own-- either to get people to come out and bid or to get me to consign with them.