• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know this has been discussed to death...

10 posts in this topic

But the new CGC ''modern tier shift'' really touches us Bronze collectors the most. With what would seem to be a potential for far fewer submissions of marginal titles from the late 70's, do you guys think the already paltry population of utlra high grade slabbed books will increase in value at all?

I'm not expecting too much. Most of the books from 1975-79 aren't particularly valuable in 9.8 even if they are scarce. Supply will probably slow to a trickle but the demand for these books doesn't seem such that it will cause a price spike.

We may see a crazy price here and there for a "one-and-only" 9.8 by someone who doesn't want to wait for more 9.8 copies to turn up (or has convinced himself that they never will).

I'm not expecting too much. Most of the books from 1975-79 aren't particularly valuable in 9.8 even if they are scarce. Supply will probably slow to a trickle but the demand for these books doesn't seem such that it will cause a price spike.

We may see a crazy price here and there for a "one-and-only" 9.8 by someone who doesn't want to wait for more 9.8 copies to turn up (or has convinced himself that they never will).

I'm in no rush to finish off my Bronze X-Men because I expect the supply of 9.8s to increase. Yes there will always be a few books that are difficult to get in 9.8 due to production flaws but more people are chasing high sales at the moment and bringing more 9.8 copies to market. For example, last year at this time there were only 2 9.8 copies of X-Men 120 graded, now after just a year there are 9 in the latest census.

For example, last year at this time there were only 2 9.8 copies of X-Men 120 graded, now after just a year there are 9 in the latest census.

Very imPRESSive figures.

You read my mind. (thumbs u

Well I know BA X-men & ASM wont be affected cuz even 9.4s can generate good prices. I was thinking more along the lines of Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Monster books, etc. I dont envision too many dealers subbing random issues hoping to get 9.8s when there is no upside if they get a 9.6. So I would assume the already graded 1-2 9.8s of certain issues would probably see an upswing as there might not be anymore coming down the pipeline anytime soon.

In the next 2 years I think we'll obviously see a decrease in the amount of submissions from the '75 to '79 era and as a result I think the demand for 9.6/9.8 Caps, Thors and Avengers will go up as the movie hoopla starts. There are a decent number of issues from that era that don't have 9.8s in the census yet or there are only 1 or 2. Those are the books I think we'll see demand increase for. There are several .30 and .35 Thors that don't have any 9.8's yet for example.

I don't know if demand will rise for random BA issues due to the movies... But supply will surely dry up as completeists plug holes in their sets. Bidding could be ferocious.

But in the long-term this change will just mean less exposure of these "commons" and lower demand overall. Keys won't be affected, but mid-run issues of no importance will wither on the vine as collectors migrate to more popular and visible areas of the hobby.