• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second-Longest-Running BA Series?

54 posts in this topic

Technically, they missed dozens of books. But if you only want to include books started in the 70s that made it to 1988 they also missed Conan.

You obviously haven't read the editorial...

Jim

But if you only want to include books started in the 70s that made it to 1988 they also missed Conan.

You slam their writing, picking gnat from pepper, but can't seem to grasp the most basic part of the posted editorial?

Hint: Their start date for "since 1970" was to denote the launch of Conan.

They can't say "other than Conan" as that is a Marvel property, and would give their competition some added promotion, but it's clearly stated for anyone who knows comics.

I'm not in the business of 'realizing' the intentions of professional writers. I'll leave that to you and George Lucas fanboys. Professional writers should be able to make their intentions clear. Pretty basic stuff.

Yeah, you and JC are gonna get along just fine... :popcorn:

But if you only want to include books started in the 70s that made it to 1988 they also missed Conan.

You slam their writing, picking gnat from pepper, but can't seem to grasp the most basic part of the posted editorial?

They can't say "other than Conan" as that is a Marvel property, and would give their competition some added promotion, but it's clearly stated for anyone who knows comics.

Sorry to disagree, I didn't realize you were someone who knows comics. I can grasp the basic part of the editorial, the problem is its wrong. They can specifically say that Warlord is the only comic from DC or Marvel launched since 1970 to make it to 1988 but then they can't mention specific Marvel titles? I guess that's why they win (except for the two Marvel titles that have them beat).

They also don't want to promote Conan. Because they didn't want competition for their cancelled book. And someone reading Warlord was not already aware that there was a Conan comic?

Hint: You are wrong.

Here's a scan:

Well, it simply isn't true - Peter Parker was going on just fine in 1988.

Not to mention Web, New Mutants, X-Factor, West Coast Avengers, Alpha Flight, GI Joe, Transformers....I could go on for a long time here.

I get what they were trying to say, but if you're going to go out patting yourself on the back at least get the language right. Who edited that editorial?

:roflmao:

And New Teen Titans, and Flash and Wonder Woman and Superman and...

Whoever wrote that editorial wasn't paying attention.

"The only comic launched since 1970" covers EVERY book that published its first issue from January 1970 up to the time the editorial was published.

Of course, but like other comments, you realize that's not what the writer intended and that it's to be compared against other similar-era books. Pretty basic stuff, and we could spend decades parsing through some of the garbage posted on here, but people get the gist and move on.

But they did miss PPSSM, which is a real error.

Oh please. The editor screwed up. Badly.

Sorry to disagree, I didn't realize you were someone who knows comics. I can grasp the basic part of the editorial, the problem is its wrong. They can specifically say that Warlord is the only comic from DC or Marvel launched since 1970 to make it to 1988 but then they can't mention specific Marvel titles? I guess that's why they win (except for the two Marvel titles that have them beat).

They also don't want to promote Conan. Because they didn't want competition for their cancelled book. And someone reading Warlord was not already aware that there was a Conan comic?

Hint: You are wrong.

Wow, what basement did you crawl out of?

Did you even read comics back then? Both Marvel and DC were very hesitant to "name names" as they were in a life-and-death struggle back then, with Marvel calling DC "Brand Ecchh!" and never referring to their characters by name. Same with DC, and if Marvel ever beat them at anything, you can be absolutely sure they're not going to parade it in print for all to see.

I have seen both companies mention awards their books won, how a certain book is the 2nd/3rd./etc. best-selling title, but NEVER list the competition's higher sales totals or better awards. I have some examples if you really want your face rubbed in the muck.

If you honestly believe that it was perfectly alright for DC to state that "Conan, published by Marvel, is the longest running book launched since 1970" then you're totally deluded and have NEVER worked for a major corporation. These guys adhere to the "any publicity is good publicity" and hesitate to even mention the competition when it could make them look bad, or the competition look good.

well, except when clark kent would make a cameo in spiderman (or was it the other way around?), or when they would get together to make those treasuries or when they would get together to sell 5 million copies of X-Men/New Teen Titans...

"Wow, what basement did you crawl out of?"

I know, its sucks when some newb points out how wrong you are.

"Did you even read comics back then? Both Marvel and DC were very hesitant to "name names" as they were in a life-and-death struggle back then, with Marvel calling DC "Brand Ecchh!" and never referring to their characters by name. Same with DC, and if Marvel ever beat them at anything, you can be absolutely sure they're not going to parade it in print for all to see."

Yes I did, and I'm pretty sure that Marvel and DC were not in a life-and-death struggle in the late 80s. Marvel was quite healthy and DC was just fine. I'm pretty sure the 'Brand Ecch' thing was done in the 60s. By 1988 there had been several very successful crossovers. I wouldn't expect either company to mention how the competition had bested them, unless they are making the comparison. The editors of Warlord brought it up--they specifically mentioned Marvel Comics.

"I have seen both companies mention awards their books won, how a certain book is the 2nd/3rd./etc. best-selling title, but NEVER list the competition's higher sales totals or better awards. I have some examples if you really want your face rubbed in the muck."

Of course. If you are just saying, "we are second best", you don't have to say who is first. But the Warlord editorial said they were the best and brought the competition into it. Can you really not see the difference? Sad.

"If you honestly believe that it was perfectly alright for DC to state that "Conan, published by Marvel, is the longest running book launched since 1970" then you're totally deluded and have NEVER worked for a major corporation. These guys adhere to the "any publicity is good publicity" and hesitate to even mention the competition when it could make them look bad, or the competition look good."

I have worked for a major corporation. In fact we were second in our industry, and when number one was brought up we tried to sell our customers on how we were different from them. We didn't just make stuff up and then pretend they didn't exist.