• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why no love for New York World's Fair Comics?

60 posts in this topic

i was avoiding grails. my criteria was pre-'50, large logo where applicable, and try for a good cover [easier said than done on some of those runs]. i did have a bat 11, which i guess is a grail of sorts.

good luck on your hunt.

Mr. Parker do you ever fall of the chair laughing at some of your own posts the way I do when I read them?

:roflmao:

thanks, sir. but anyone can see that a few of those runs are awful offal.

All we need now is a "broken record" gremlin and we'd be all set (thumbs u

i was avoiding grails. my criteria was pre-'50, large logo where applicable, and try for a good cover [easier said than done on some of those runs]. i did have a bat 11, which i guess is a grail of sorts.

good luck on your hunt.

Mr. Parker do you ever fall of the chair laughing at some of your own posts the way I do when I read them?

And who wants an eyeful of awful offal?

I think the MIle Highs are only 6.0 for both Worlds Fairs. These books are really tuff in high grade for reasons already mentioned. Had the Sandmans 1st app dominated the cover of the 39 worlds fair like it does in adventure 40 the books appeal would have been enchanced greatly.The first blond Superman cover dosnt do it for me either..I dont think anyone would pick the first appearence of the sandman over his second app in this particular case.

This case is kind of like my preference for Sensation 1 over all star 8.

Oh how I wish sensation 1 was her full 1st app !

good luck on your hunt.

when you surely get rid of all of your current gremlins, soon to be replaced by a completely new set of gremlins, just make sure you get one of the broken record variety. and then hold on to it.

good luck on your hunt.

Kinda like the "Gator is rich" broken record?

Or the "Toro is gay" broken record?

Or the "Nobody buys my books" broken record? :baiting:

You should hold on to two of those graemlins, you might wear one out.

good luck on your hunt.

this is pons, typing from billy's computer:

"but y'all meanies say robin is gay!!!!!" waaaaaa-waaaaaaaaaa.-waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

From an outsiders view, ie someone who thinks it's a cool book but never had an interest in buying one.

Most are restored. Which you'd think would make the unrestored issues go for big bucks but sometimes it seems like the typical restored issues taint the specific issue overall. Anyone else notice this?

however, your restored statement of "most" couldn't be further from the reality... I would guess less than 1 in 5 are restored, making unrestored copies still very common... in fact, a quick check of the cgc census supports this (about 1 in 4 are restored) ....but, you see tons of these "raw" for sale at cons, etc...

Those big square bound, glued spine DCs can't be disassembled for restoration, so actually fewer of them are restored in relation to other comics. But the '39 World's Fair is very prone to blue color touch. To the guy with the blue Bic Banana in the '70s it must have looked like the simplest thing to do.

On the flip side , I wonder out of all the restored copies Gator mentions were restored because the cover had already fallen off.

And in your Bic Pen scenario , I doubt it would actually bleed through because of the thickness of the cover. (shrug)

Oh, and I like the book in a big goofy DC grin kinda way, mainly because I like Worlds Fair stuff.

good luck on your hunt.

pons, i can't find a 'broken record' one, but this would work, wouldn't it?

Iconviolin.gif

good luck on your hunt.

Well you almost batted a thousand there stretch....

But to be completely accurate on my broken records, it's "Gator claiming to be broke" all the time that gets me. But, that gets all of us I think...

good luck on your hunt.

But to be completely accurate on my broken records, it's "Gator claiming to be broke" all the time that gets me. But, that gets all of us I think...

but I am broke...comic broke... I have plenty of bills I pay with my "other" money lol

good luck on your hunt.

but I am broke...comic broke... I have plenty of bills I pay with my "other" money lol

beatdeadhorse8gx.gif

I think the 1939 restored over unrestored is because not many of the restored books get sent to CGC. I've seen 3 of these and all have been restored and I generally don't see a bunch of these comics. In all cases the private owner wouldn't have taken less than 2 or 3 grand for it when they were worth at most $1000.

I'd agree that a high grade blue label 6.0 and above copy would start to approach guide but that's about it IMO.

Ed

beatdeadhorse8gx.gif

We've been using that one for months in my other board! Love it!

I am the proud owner of a thrashed NY Fair '40 and I get happier I bought it all the time. I'd love to find the bottom of the market of the '39 and World's Best 1, and World's Finest 2 and 3. I guess I've always lumped them in with World's Finest, a title you hear a bunch of knocks against; nothing important happens in it, the covers are embarrassing...but I think part of the problem is "diluted key syndrome". The '39 is first, but no Batman, so it's not really connected to the rest of the run. '40 has Bats, but it's obviously a #2, "Best" isn't the real name of the title, that first shows up in World's Finest #2, which is the least desirable of this bunch. So no single key blockbuster in the run.

On the other hand, they've got to be really tough in high grade. The Sandman debuts. It's Robin's 3rd or 4th appearance? The Scarecrow 1st appears in #3. Very early Superman cover, even tho it's just a head shot. Great Simon and Kirby Boy Commando stories, and a terrific Supes/Bats cover on the 1940.

I think they're great, and I can almost afford 'em!

as far as price goes, we are already at the "bottom"...the guide doesn't reflect it, but I think selling prices on the NYWF are as low as I have ever seen (thumbs u