• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns Have Finally Passed the Benchmark...

66 posts in this topic

I hope 75% of the New Comics are F-ing Cancelled and the talent takes a pay cut like the rest of us!

I would gladly pay even another $1.00 per issue than all this .

How many absurd Avengers and X-men titles do we need. :news:

John, I hate to say it bud...but you are a f--ing insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

If he's a spoon, can I be a spork? I'm only a spoon some of the time.

I'll tell you what I should have told him.

Be careful what you wish for.

YOU ARE A SPORK!

I wonder how sales of tpbs compare. I don't buy new comics, but I buy new tpbs. I think a lot of people my age (oldish) are the same.

I don't buy single issues either. I wait for the HC trade to go on sale at a discount. I like reading the whole story in one shot as well. It seems to me that most story arcs are written for the trade format anyway.

I hope 75% of the New Comics are F-ing Cancelled and the talent takes a pay cut like the rest of us!

John, I hate to say it bud...but you are a f--ing insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

YOU ARE A SPORK!

I swear I have read this exact same post numerous times before. hm

YOU ARE A SPORK!

^^

Let's analyze this statement, shall we...

I hope 75% of the New Comics are F-ing Cancelled

Basically you are saying "Let's shut down every publisher, distributor, and 90% of the LCS". Even though you would assume that there is much drek for sale, the economies of selling comics, and the small margins involved require that the drek be available because there are folks that buy it, read it, and enjoy it.

the talent takes a pay cut like the rest of us

I really have no idea what the high end creative talent makes as on average, but the few that I do know don't make very much money. And the ones who do make a bunch of money are the guys working on the books that you don't want to cancel. Yet what incentive will they have to continue after you have cut their pay?

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here. Either you would gladly another $1.00 for a quality book. Or you would only pay $1.00 for a quality book. Either way I ask...how often do you buy new comics? Are there any books that you consider quality? Because if there are, and you think they are worth the price, please buy them and support them. If there are not, then don't buy anything. Your lack of support will be noticed by the publishers. They really do want to sell stuff, and they do listen to valid questions and criticism.

How many absurd Avengers and X-men titles do we need.

A valid question! I don't have an answer...I'm just excited to see a valid question! :golfclap:

I would happily pay $1.95 for new books, if they simply printed them on cheapo newsprint and cheapo coverstock.

They won't.

So, forget it.

Wouldn't make a bit of difference.

The cost of the paper is a few cents, no more.

Someone, somewhere would be capable of making it work. Sigh.

WOW...that's both amazing, and very sad :(

look at "the worlds greatest comic magazine" OUCH!!!!!!

the Marvel flagship for years, is selling 48K in copies!

48,378k copies times cover $2.99 = $144,650 compared to over 20 years ago 200k copies times cover .75 cents = $150,000.

so Marvel is making about the same money comic saleswise,plus if you count movies,dvds and videogames they are making more money then ever.

A valid question! I don't have an answer...I'm just excited to see a valid question! :golfclap:

I do think comics were a better read when there was only one title per month. Trying to spread everything over three or four titles waters the good stories down.

In the X titles you have Astonishing, Uncanny, Legacy, Cable, X-Factor and X-Force. I would much rather see one title written well for years to come than six titles of mediocrity.

I still enjoy a few of them though, mainly Astonishing and Uncanny. I think I am just wishing for the nostalgia of the past though.

Basically you are saying "Let's shut down every publisher, distributor, and 90% of the LCS". Even though you would assume that there is much drek for sale, the economies of selling comics, and the small margins involved require that the drek be available because there are folks that buy it, read it, and enjoy it.

I really have no idea what the high end creative talent makes as on average, but the few that I do know don't make very much money. And the ones who do make a bunch of money are the guys working on the books that you don't want to cancel. Yet what incentive will they have to continue after you have cut their pay?

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here. Either you would gladly another $1.00 for a quality book. Or you would only pay $1.00 for a quality book. Either way I ask...how often do you buy new comics? Are there any books that you consider quality? Because if there are, and you think they are worth the price, please buy them and support them. If there are not, then don't buy anything. Your lack of support will be noticed by the publishers. They really do want to sell stuff, and they do listen to valid questions and criticism.

I am assuming your playing around calling me a spoon, if not let me know.

Richard its pretty simple to me that most of DREK that we see in the marketplace is talentless shi t with no creative style what so ever and it's priced at $3.99. Back in the day we would see .25c or .50c increases. The last two prices hikes have been .75c (2.25 to 2.99) and now $1.00 (2.99 to 3.99) which is absurd.

No one in their right mind should pay $3.99 for a comic book that you can read in 1 minute now a days, so if you are going to charge a stupid amount for a comic you should make sure everything you put out is PRIMO stuff.

Soooooooooo

Take most of titles and junk them and put all your energy into the core titles like they did in the 60-70's Pump up the storylines and get new found interest in the book and I beleieve that will create in the long run a higher buy rate which in turn they can print more copies w/o having to dilute the marketplace with alot of titles that are waste.

I mean come on WW Hulk, Secret Invasion (f-ing terrible by the way), and Civil War got so many spin offs that wasted so many trees it was a disgrace.

JoeQ says the price hike is because of costs and talent.... :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Well you tell over f-ing rated Bendis to try to take his stories over to DC if he wants more money. What else is he and a bunch others going to do if they can't work for Marvel or DC? Jack is the answer.

A couple answers for ya:

I would rather pay $1.00 more per book (4.99) if 75% of the titles were gone and just the core titles remained and had good story lines and decent art.

I do buy some moderns but I will now hestitate to buy a new book for $4.00 where as in the past for $2.25 I would given it a try. Times that by thousands of other collectors and you have modern DREK just sitting where no one is enjoying it or reading it.

Marvel and DC needs to trim the fat and pick to have only the core titles and pick which artists/writers are the All stars and get rid of the rest. That will help LCS staying in business with a high quality product coming to their shelves every Wednesday and not DREK that just sits.

For God Sake just have one:

Spider-man

Iron Man

CAP

FF

X-men

Avengers

Wolverine

etc.....

Case in point we have amazig over saturation of Wolverine.....

Wolverine

Wolverine Origins

X-force

Uncanny X-men

X-men

Weapon X (I think that just started) :frustrated:

So if the talent is really driving these costs up among other expenses then they need to take a step back as well as Management and think to themselves can we survive with people accepting our new retail price issue at $3.99 or heck $4.99 which I am sure thay will happen in 2 years.

The answer is NO!

Something will have to give and quite simple it will be the collectors who will stop giving their money to LCS which is a shame.

In this economy it takes balls to think you can jump your product retail cost up by 25% and think there would be a bad response in terms of profit margin.

I understand they can now print less and still the same money, but is 100% not good for the long run.

Maybe its time for the TPB era to begin where a book like ASM comes out only ONCE a month and have 5 issues it. (shrug)

Books I will still pay $3.99 for because I feel they are well worth it.

DD

CAP

Walking Dead

Y: Last Man (if it did not end)

Green Lantern

Batman (I am actually liking it lately)

ASM

Astonishing X-men

Personal opinion Ed Brubaker is the best writer Marvel has and like Stan Lee did in the 60-70's, have Ed write half the titles along with one or two other guys and pay them accordingly. Trim the rest, sorry that business.

Pay Cut Bendis.... lol

I am sure you guys will come down on me hard for my this post and my other one, but thats the way I feel.

Like me or hate me. :hi:

(tsk) now, now, richie, all things come to an end! hm

don't go away bitter about it, just...go away (thumbs u

(tsk) now, now, richie, all things come to an end! hm

don't go away bitter about it, just...go away (thumbs u

What happened to practice what you preach? :hi:

What would you suggest be done?

I do think comics were a better read when there was only one title per month. Trying to spread everything over three or four titles waters the good stories down.

In the X titles you have Astonishing, Uncanny, Legacy, Cable, X-Factor and X-Force. I would much rather see one title written well for years to come than six titles of mediocrity.

I still enjoy a few of them though, mainly Astonishing and Uncanny. I think I am just wishing for the nostalgia of the past though.

They may have been a better read when there was only one title a month but in general that is when we were all 12-15 years old. Nostalgia is a factor but the books were also written for 12-15 year olds.

If todays books were geared towards 12 year old boys then maybe the sales would be better. Who knows, but the majority of books today are geared for the 30-40 year old fanboy and for the most part we are the biggest bunch of nitpickers and whiny biotches about every minute detail. Details that slid by when we were 12 with no big deal are now dissected on the internet.

I don't know. I like a lot of the books being printed today. There is definitely a lot of good stuff out there. I don't believe there is any more drek then there was when I was 12 if you really think about it.

I really wish they would gear the books for 12 year olds again as my son is 7 and asked to go to the comic book store the other day. I was happy as all get out as it was his decision and not the prodding of his father. Most of the books I read (In my opinion) are a little too "much" for him and the titles designed for kids seem (once again my opinion) somewhat half assed.

That is the sad part to me about the sales figures being down. In five years when my son is 12, is he going to get the same joy of reading comic books as I did? Heck, will comic books still exist in the same form? (shrug)

I agree with you to some extent, but the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix storyline could hold its own any day. It isn't nostalgia, it's just good story writing. (shrug)

No doubt. A good story is a good story. I believe that one has stood the test of time. I also believe there are stories being written right now that will be just as good 10-15 years from now as well.

There are plenty of stories back in the good 'ole days that are pure rubbish now but they were some of the most entertaining when you/I were 12.

I am assuming your playing around calling me a spoon, if not let me know.

A little...I tried to edit it.

But I do think you need to think about those kind of blanket statements. If you don't like a title, say so...and don't buy it. If you have thought of a good way to change or improve a title, say so...the publishers would love to hear it. Like I said, they would love to sell more comics.

But to just say 75% of all comics should be cancelled, and the talent should have their pay cut is just plain s t u p i d.

And to call Bendis talentless is going way overboard :sumo:

I agree with you to some extent, but the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix storyline could hold its own any day. It isn't nostalgia, it's just good story writing. (shrug)

No doubt. A good story is a good story. I believe that one has stood the test of time. I also believe there are stories being written right now that will be just as good 10-15 years from now as well.

There are plenty of stories back in the good 'ole days that are pure rubbish now but they were some of the most entertaining when you/I were 12.

Iron Fist has been great, and I'm more of a superhero ( X-Men/Avengers/Fantastic Four) kind of guy.

What would you suggest be done?

I personally look forward to the day when publishers have enough faith in the material to release it, first run, in graphic novel form. Why continue the monthlies on mini-series when most folks are now waiting for the trades. (If trade sales were included in industry figures in a way that matched apples to apples we could all see how large of a portion of the overall market theyare.) I look at the small successes of things like Sin City: Family Values, Pride of Baghdad or The Goon: Chinatown and think how cool it would be to run a real comic BOOK store.

In five years when my son is 12, is he going to get the same joy of reading comic books as I did?

The real question is when your son is 12 will he want to read a comic in the same format as you read it. That has been the hardest thing for the publishers to deal with...putting comics in a format that tech savvy 12 year olds care about.

The interesting shift in comics marketing to me is the fact that Marvel and DC, while saying they would love to get kid readers, have given up marketing to them because it doesn't work. Instead, they have chosen to market to teens and young adults. Most of the new readers we attract are in the 15 to 25 age group who have been introduced in a way that makes them think comics are cool.