• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FREE LISTING DAY ON EBAY!!!!

42 posts in this topic

Bargains will be few and far between because the sellers listing today will start their items at higher than normal prices so they don't get burned by having their low starting price auctions lost in the shuffle of a million other listings beginning, running and ending at the same time.

Free listing day may actually work against you. With so much stuff being offered and only so much money to go around, your final auction price may be lower than normal, with so many options they may place lower than normal bids so they can cover all the items they want to bid on. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Timely

Free listing day may actually work against you. With so much stuff being offered and only so much money to go around, your final auction price may be lower than normal

That's the key, and the real value is to pay the 5 cents and treat it was a Free Fixed Listing Day. That way you get the people who "want it now" and may not bid at a high price, with no guarantee of getting the item.

One thing which strikes me is that it hasn't drawn out much quality material! At least, not that I collect...no really striking Spidey, FF, X-Men, or Daredevils which weren't already circulating around anyway. Collectors are continuing to hold onto the desirable issues. mad.giffrown.giftongue.gif

I have never waded through so much dross in my life, trying to look for my few missing Dcs.

Everybody that ever listed some irrelevant comic on e-bay in the last two months and didn't sell it, is now taking advantage of the free day and listing their tedious worthless piece of garbage all over again, making it impossible to search for anything good unless it's by specific title.

Hey, some of that drek, dross, and junk is mine! sign-rantpost.gif

stooges.gif

Bargains will be few and far between because the sellers listing today will start their items at higher than normal prices so they don't get burned by having their low starting price auctions lost in the shuffle of a million other listings beginning, running and ending at the same time.

Yep, that was my perspective on it. Figured there'd be tons of listings, and stuff would get lost.

So, just mark a book at a buck or two if you don't care if it sells or not. Put the starting bid right around the price you'd like to get if it's worth more than a few bucks. Put a BIN 10-20% above that and figure someone might want to buy the item without waiting. Sounds like a plan to me...

I'd agree FF. Nothing really nice has come forth so far. I've even started looking for FF's, and Thors just to see if ANYTHING is showing up.

There's been a FEW nice books but the people auctioning them are pricing them way out of reach. Graham Cracker comics has done a quality job of this, MOST of their prices are higher than anything I've ever seen. frown.gif

Brian

OK, here are some (very unofficial) numbers.

Prior to the end-of-month slump, eBay had - on average - about 140000 comics listed.

At 11:15 pm on the 25th there were 87,160

At 7:15 am on the 26th there were 97,250

At 12:15 there were 112,956

At 4:15 there were 136,091

At 9:00 pm there were 151,430

At 8:00 am on the 27th there were 190,209

So there have to be >some< bargains available, somewhere in the mass of stuff.

Larry

Yep...

Right here:

Tomb of Dracula 10

A raw 9.0 went for $152 on Dec 12 - and the picture was too small to tell anything, so it likely was a 7.5.

Mine is a real 9.0..maybe 9.2 with a humonguous scan.

Did I just sound like PT Barnum? Sorry - that was my Gollum/Used Car Salesman personality.

So there have to be >some< bargains available, somewhere in the mass of stuff.

Oh there definitely were, and I emailed about 6 sellers to confirm Canadian shipping, and while all were positive, the items were long gone.

I swear, if I was in the US, I could make a part-time living buying and selling on EBay. 893frustrated.gif

And please don't ask me why I didn't just bid anyway, as I've already covered that off with Negs, insane shipping quotes, etc.

JC, forgive the prying but what sort of items were they? (I don't particularly blame you for being careful).

Question: Has anyone found any bargains re the free listing day, or is it really stupidly priced stuff we've seen before? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who got lucky.

Free listing day may actually work against you. With so much stuff being offered and only so much money to go around, your final auction price may be lower than normal

That's the key, and the real value is to pay the 5 cents and treat it was a Free Fixed Listing Day. That way you get the people who "want it now" and may not bid at a high price, with no guarantee of getting the item.

Yup, that's definitely the best way to take advantage of it... I threw up a bunch of [!@#%^&^] that I had lying around and I'm surprised but 30-40% of it has sold already.. amazing what people are willing to pay when there is price certainty. 893whatthe.gif I might try more fixed price listings in the future!

JC, forgive the prying but what sort of items were they? (I don't particularly blame you for being careful).

A couple of CGC Byrne X-Men (natch) along with a few CGC Starlin Captain Marvel's and Strange Tales/Warlock.

What's your E-Bay ID? I've got a shortbox of 7.0 to 9.4 Silver/Bronze Marvels I almost listed but didn't, and I'm interested in seeing how some of you people did with these fixed-price listings.

The reason I didn't list them is I don't think VF range raw books sell well at auction but eventually sell via the right venue with a fixed price on them.

bronty99 . That epic 4 which you can't sell raw for $10 sold for $130 and the 9.4 eerie 81 which only garnered $130 at auction for the 9.8 sold for $100 for the 9.4. Guess the buyer didn't have gpa.. not that I'm complaining. blush.gif

Dan