• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am gettin' mighty sick of this!! RANT AHEAD

311 posts in this topic

You know, the comic book industry is full of crooks and cheaters and I try to steer clear of them as much as possible. I've had my run-in with Robojo and l learned my lesson (the last book I bought from him was listed at NM and just came back 7.5). But to have books I bought from reputable guys as raw NMs come back as 6.0s & 7.0s?? Who's a guy supposed to trust in this industry?? I'm not an expert grader, far from it, but I expect guys who are listed as OSPG advisers to at least have some semblance of expertise... Trimming, color touch, overgrading, it's enough to make me want to swear off this whole hobby forever!!! I'm tired of getting swindled!!

THANK GOD FOR CGC AND THE WORK THEY DO AND FOR THESE BOARDS FOR EXPOSING THE FRAUDS THAT ARE OUT TO TAKE YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY!

I am done with buying raw books, actually, I am done paying anything remotely close to guide for raw books!

You got something to sell me? Send it to CGC first! Then we'll talk.

Rant over... for now.

I'm not an expert grader, far from it, but I expect guys who are listed as OSPG advisers to at least have some semblance of expertise... Trimming, color touch, overgrading, it's enough to make me want to swear off this whole hobby forever!!! I'm tired of getting swindled!!

Examples please.

Cheers.

I'm taking it easy on raw books myself after some bad experiences through the winter. Unless it's at what I think is a deep discount, I tend to stay away from raw. I don't blame you one bit!

You know, the comic book industry is full of crooks and cheaters and I try to steer clear of them as much as possible. I've had my run-in with Robojo and l learned my lesson (the last book I bought from him was listed at NM and just came back 7.5). But to have books I bought from reputable guys as raw NMs come back as 6.0s & 7.0s?? Who's a guy supposed to trust in this industry?? I'm not an expert grader, far from it, but I expect guys who are listed as OSPG advisers to at least have some semblance of expertise... Trimming, color touch, overgrading, it's enough to make me want to swear off this whole hobby forever!!! I'm tired of getting swindled!!

THANK GOD FOR CGC AND THE WORK THEY DO AND FOR THESE BOARDS FOR EXPOSING THE FRAUDS THAT ARE OUT TO TAKE YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY!

I am done with buying raw books, actually, I am done paying anything remotely close to guide for raw books!

You got something to sell me? Send it to CGC first! Then we'll talk.

Rant over... for now.

I know how you feel. I've purchased books that I have come to find out that were restored (luckily none of them were high dollar books) and returning them turned out to be such a huge hassle with the sellers. through all of their faults, I always feel better buying cgc books, especially higher dollar books.

I'm not an expert grader, far from it, but I expect guys who are listed as OSPG advisers to at least have some semblance of expertise... Trimming, color touch, overgrading, it's enough to make me want to swear off this whole hobby forever!!! I'm tired of getting swindled!!

Examples please.

+1

I understand where you are coming from and it can be frustrating.

Bought 3 SA Thors (128-129-130) from Harley Yee at a con in Montreal all listed in the NM-/NM range he charged me a crudload of money and wouldn't budge on the prices. I told myself, Hey he's in my OSPG, there's his pic, you can trust him. I paid and today my books came back 6.0, 7.5, & 9.0 a far cry from NM.

Bought 3 SA Thors (128-129-130) from Harley Yee at a con in Montreal all listed in the NM-/NM range he charged me a crudload of money and wouldn't budge on the prices. I told myself, Hey he's in my OSPG, there's his pic, you can trust him. I paid and today my books came back 6.0, 7.5, & 9.0 a far cry from NM.

The 6.0 and the 7.5 have to be water damage or interior defects. No one could mistake a 6.0 for a NM/Nm- on its face.

now that's a surprise!

:o

Examples please.

+1

I understand where you are coming from and it can be frustrating.

Buy off these boards.Nik and Nick(FT) are dead on graders,amongst many others.

Should have inspected the books before buying.

:o man I see his ebay listings, his high prices, but kinda thought the same thing you did.

I've contemplated buying some of his listings but now I think i'll steer clear.

The biggest mistake you will make is to base everyone else the same due to a bad experience.

When buying online, it can be a gamble and rewarding at times, and other times, not so much.

When buying in person, you need to educate yourself the best that you can, because I hate to say this, but you can;t blame anyone but yourself.

The 6.0 and the 7.5 have to be water damage or interior defects. No one could mistake a 6.0 for a NM/Nm- on its face.

Agreed. 6.0 / 7.5 are a far cry from NM-/NM

I hear ya. I rarely will buy a raw book, since some of the ones I've gotten were PLOD's, or not anywhere near the grade the person says. CGC books on the other hand I feel secure in buying since hey, that's what they are. No surprises and such. :)

I have to ask, what grades did you think they were before you bought them?

Regardless, 6.0 is a far cry from NM no matter what individual grading standards one applies, but I simply cannot see Harley making this big an error. He had to have missed something. The 9.0 one doesn't really count, but what are the notes on the 6.0 and 7.5?

Also did you contact him about this disparity before coming public like this?

YES HE SHOULD HAVE!! The burden shouldn't have to fall on the buyer. He's selling to me, I'm just a shmo who buys comics, it's HIS BUSINESS, he should know better.

Could also be staining and rusty staples. I bring a magnifying glass to cons now. I don't trust my own eyes anymore, let alone someone elses.

YES HE SHOULD HAVE!! The burden shouldn't have to fall on the buyer. He's selling to me, I'm just a shmo who buys comics, it's HIS BUSINESS, he should know better.

Wrong, he could have in good faith thought they were as advertised or even flat out over graded them.., so as a buyer you need to not take on faith what anyone says unless it is understood up front that you can return the book if CGC does not agree with his grade.

On Ebay I can see the frustration, but you saw the books in person so there is as much, if not more responsibility on you to use due diligence and educate yourself as to what it is you are buying, or as you mentioned earlier..buy books that are already slabbed.

While I am sorry to hear about your frustration, I just do not agree all the blame (for lack of a better word) lies at Harely feet. Which he cant see btw.. :blush: