• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 pulp mags from 30's need help with info

12 posts in this topic

ok a dealer/friend picked up a collection and these 2 books were found in it, if he decides to sell them, i'm the buyer.

what i need is info and aprox. price these would go for, grade/condition would be nice too but not needed

all info provided from my dealer

ok 1st what is known about the 1st book

the cover is detached about 3in from top and bottom of book, but conected in the middle. Tape on bottom corner where soliders head is.

Amazing Stories vol. 8 #6 1933

contains story that was insperation for creation of superman

th_AmazingStoriesF.jpgth_AmazingStoriesB.jpg

2nd book, this is a bit longer

Paris Nights vol. 15 #10 Jan 1938

on page 39-44, 74 chacter in story is named Bruce Wayne, he is a dective in the story

he thinks it might be the insperation for...well Bruce Wayne

finger pointing to the Bruce Wayne name

on pg70

he thinks it's a Bill Everett drawn pic of Sub-Mariner, if true it might pre date Subbys 1st GA app, he does have pointy ears, and i love this part, from his keens down is backwards...look at the direction his feet are pointing

th_ParisNightsF.jpgth_ParisNightsB.jpgth_IMG_2135.jpgth_IMG_2134.jpg

any info would be nice

ty

In Guide,

Paris Night is $12 in Good and $30 in VG and $60 in Fine (Pulp hobby grading scale). Since it is an attractive cover IMO, on eBay, I could see it go for about $35 to $40, a little higher than others ... even though it is a late cover for the title. Generally early books are more desirable so it being from 1938 will put a cap to value.

Amazing Stories Oct. 1933 is the first issue of regular pulp size. Guide values on it are $16 in Good, $40 in VG and $80 in Fine. You're looking at a $20 - $25 pulp there.

Others' opinions are welcome. Fuelie?

I have a few issues of Paris Nights or at least a couple of covers but I wouldn't pay big bucks for an odd figure or a coincidence. I would stick with Scrooge's recommended prices. Sounds like good advice if you want to collect pulps for fun.

bb

Paris Nights are weird, pricewise... a cover that two or more people decide they want can get up to around 100.00... It's kinda random, I've seen covers that I thought were uber-cool go for 10 bucks in the same grade as yours, and covers that I didn't particularly like go for stupid money... This one is cool, but not overtly sexual (which tends to bring the stupid money)... I'd say Scrooge nailed the low end, and twice that would be the high end. The guide is almost 4 years out of date, and the girlie pulps have been doing quite well for a couple of years now...

As for the Amazing Stories... meh... short of a bidding war, maybe 1.5 times guide at max.

This one is cool, but not overtly sexual...

Wow - Saturday night at your place must be fun. Generally my wife isn't thinking of playing scrabble when she greets me like that... :blush:

In Guide,

Paris Night is $12 in Good and $30 in VG and $60 in Fine (Pulp hobby grading scale). Since it is an attractive cover IMO, on eBay, I could see it go for about $35 to $40, a little higher than others ... even though it is a late cover for the title. Generally early books are more desirable so it being from 1938 will put a cap to value.

Amazing Stories Oct. 1933 is the first issue of regular pulp size. Guide values on it are $16 in Good, $40 in VG and $80 in Fine. You're looking at a $20 - $25 pulp there.

Others' opinions are welcome. Fuelie?

I'd say you pretty much got it. (worship)

This one is cool, but not overtly sexual...

Wow - Saturday night at your place must be fun. Generally my wife isn't thinking of playing scrabble when she greets me like that... :blush:

Check out the monkeys and the radio...she is just exercising in loose fitting workout gear.

:gossip: