• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New sales forum format..Fun? Not fun?

Fun? Not fun?  

339 members have voted

1. 1. Fun? Not fun?

145 posts in this topic

I like the new format. I can look at my areas of interest(gold,silver) very quickly now. That's a plus for me. You can really see the difference it made taking the modern/copper out of those sections. (thumbs u

Maybe the buyers like it better and the sellers don't? Hmmmmm?

If we waited on your $$$$ to drive the machine, we would run out of gas before we left the garage.

I'm just a small cog in the overall mechanism, and I'm just stating that in a case like this, the very last person you want input from is the general seller population.

In a scenario like this, quality books from quality sellers are going to benefit, while the rule-breaking, over-grading, thread-bumping, thread-hyping sellers are going to be hurt because most people will lose half of those guys by staying in one sub-forum.

In my case, while I respect the Modern/SS/variant/etc. seller's right to parlay his goods, I am very happy not to have to parse through it every morning just to get to the vintage comics. I am sure the opposite holds true as well, and Modern fans appreciate not having to wade through all the "moldy older books" to find their gems.

The only people this hurts are the poor sellers who abused the previous format. Everyone else will do just as good or better.

My only question is,

I want to list about 100 or so books but they very from SA to MA and I have no desire to list them in separate forums.

So where do I list them according to the new format?

I normally don't buy copper or moderns, but before the change would occasionally make a spontaneous purchase. Now I find myself not looking in the copper/modern section at all. It also seems like overall there have been less sales threads since the change.

I agree. Less fun, more work,. I especially don't like that the post counter on the main index page doesn't reset to zero when you click into the main selling forum and then back out. I know JC and some other will harp on this, and it is a minor thing but still, just another annoyance now.

I have to click on all the sub forums to reset the counter to know if there are new posts (ie, start from zero rather than start from some arbitrary number that I'd have to remember from the last time I was in there).

That's interesting, as I have seen the opposite.

Really? I can't count how many "Great Books", "Killer Slabs" or similar generic thread titles I clicked on in the "old format" only to find a pile Modern books or SS stuff, which totally wasted my time and kept me from finding the "good stuff".

The sheer number of threads also kept me from locating my group of "regulars" since there was a real race to bump threads to the front page and take up valuable real estate. That in-fighting doesn't happen so much anymore, since the volume has been split.

Now, I can easily find the books and sellers I want to look at just by hitting the GA/SA/BA forum in the morning, and checking out the announcement thread for upcoming sales. And if someone uses "Killer Books" as a title there, it's probably something I'll at least want to look at.

I agree. Less fun, more work,. I especially don't like that the post counter on the main index page doesn't reset to zero when you click into the main selling forum and then back out. I know JC and some other will harp on this, and it is a minor thing but still, just another annoyance now.

My point is that it functions as designed, and totals the new threads from the sub-forums. If it zeroed them out, it would be crippling a very useful feature, as it would zero out the sub-forum counters as well (as the main forum page reads those).

I do understand what you're asking for, it's just that you'd need to cripple the software to attain it, and harm other user's functionality.

Personally, I don't even look at the main page, and just link directly to the Marketplace and then see how many new threads in GA/SA/BA there are.

Well, I have to agree with Bill (Blue) that I too hate...let me repeat HATE the sales forum now.

I bought and sold pretty actively on the sales threads, bought a lot more than I sold. It was fun. FUN. And I'll tell you what. I have about 5 personal friends, one who regularly posted on here a lot, who wont' even sign on anymore because he's so mad about the changes.

To me it was fun, because I'm both a buyer of SA/BA books and I'm not a snob about kewl modern stuff. I'd mostly buy SA/BA stuff, and would have fun thinking about or picking up cheap moderns. These days, for whatever reason, I have no inclination to look at any of the threads anymore.

My point is that it functions as designed, and totals the new threads from the sub-forums. If it zeroed them out, it would be crippling a very useful feature, as it would zero out the sub-forum counters as well (as the main forum page reads those).

I do understand what you're asking for, it's just that you'd need to cripple the software to attain it, and harm other user's functionality.

Personally, I don't even look at the main page, and just link directly to the Marketplace and then see how many new threads in GA/SA/BA there are.

I look at the main page and look for new posts.

I don't see why it would be impossible to zero the main page but keep the sub forum count at whatever it is at when you click in. Then again I know zero about computer language and coding any more (basic anyone?)

To my logic the sub forums are no different than new posts in threads. Those (lets say new threads in the General forum) don't stop being being highlighted as new threads when yo click in and bacl out in the main index, it just resets the counter.

R.

I'm speaking as a buyer and I do not like the new format at all. I buy Spidey books in all age groups and miss many due to the spilt.

I have seen a drop off in the number of books I would buy. Are the two related only time will tell. I will say that I have spent more money on Clink (Auction) and e-bay than I have here since the spilt.

John

I will agree that the sub forums do seem a bit slower but I think it's a good thing.

There seem to be fewer updates because there seem to be fewer people wandering around saying 'wow great book wish i could afford it' or 'great book good luck with that price' or the like.

I only buy a couple books a month so I can't say the changes have impacted me all that much and I almost never look for modern books here anyway.

What has surprised me is that before the break-out I thought there were more BA and older threads than there really were. Now it's clear that Coppers and Moderns rule the Marketplace. Not a bad thing but surprising nonetheless due to the what alot of people here collect...

Yet the GA/SA/BA subforum has 11 pages of threads to the Copper/Modern's 5 pages? hm

Sure it's not the exact opposite?