• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this by Dave McKean (I say yes)?

28 posts in this topic

So, community, whadayareckon? Now it's been suggested I think it very well could be Dave McKean.

Obviously we could do with a signature that's similar. Looking at the multitude of his sketches online his signature is often sloppy and never the same (unlike a lot of artists).

Signature aside looking at the line work I reckon it's plain to see it's him (eg. look at the stalactites, the bat shadow outline, was there a series called Blood painted by him with similar line work?)

The sketch was obtained at UKCAC88, he was there and I don't have an autograph elsewhere by him (and believe, I got pretty much everyone on the bill), my vague memories are being slightly disappointed by it's speed/quality and wondering why he'd done batman (him not being a batman artist). We know in hind site that he was soon to do Arkham Asylum and had perhaps started work on it by then (or at least was turning his thought to it).

I say YES, what say thee?

CIMG0418.jpg

Signature aside looking at the line work I reckon it's plain to see it's him (eg. look at the stalactites, the bat shadow outline, was there a series called Blood painted by him with similar line work?)

You're thinking of Kent Williams, sir.

-e.

One thing against it being mckean is the short ears on batman, hmmm, I dunno know. I'm only 60% sure it's mckean now \(I was 70% before), I think some of the line work is a give away (in favour) and if we were to have a similar signature...

It got a lot of flak on the other discussion thread, but if it is mckean suddenly it don't look so bad.

Respectfully, I see nothing in the linework of the piece that remotely indicates McKean.

If this was post-Arkham and he was inundated with throngs of fans, I could see him letting something so-so out of his grasp, but frankly even Dave's "off" days are so much more refined than this, and when he's slammed, he does what most do and reverts to a headsketch, rather than a whole Batcave scenario.

I'd look elsewhere to another artist.

-e.

Wrong. This is not called negativity.

This is called "logic"...since we already have a thread, correct me if i am wrong.

And regarding the linework. I don't see any great linework.

It is a public forum and this is my take.

If I would see something....anything....I would say it.

And like I had mentioned before, I wish you nothing more than being able to identify who drew this...as well as I hope it is someone great.

Thats it...

LAST POST FROM WURSTIS regarding this !

Nice one, Wurstis, me too. I think we've all agreed from the beginning that it's pretty rubbish piece (even if/when it turns out to be a top artist)...

btw, it's the first time i've joined a chat group thingy, I didn't realize I'd offend by starting a new thread for goodness sake, in fact the whole experience has been pretty wak, from the back biting sarcasm thinking I was you guy's returned enemy (wtf!!!) to the negativity (adding when you've squat to add). It's everything I feared from people who live in chat rooms.

Anyway, being slightly unfair cos some guys have been proper helpful. Many thanks.

Hey, we're just exploring the McKean thing, I'm a hung jury now, talked myself out of it specially cos his ears are short (obvious really).

Hmmm, anyone?

Are you even sure it's a professional artist? I know it's from a book you carried around with you at a convention twenty years ago, but maybe someone just doodled in it? I mean, as you've stated yourself, it's pretty beat. I'd give my kid a pat on the head if he drew that for me, but I wouldn't shell out for the primo art lessons...

As for your irritation, I know where you're coming from. I haven't been here long myself, but I've already seen some of the shady stuff folks try to pull occasionally.

I know your feelings guys (or girls..hate to assume) I left the comicart-l yahoo thing, because not only was it a board but you would get emails EVERY TIME someone wrote something and 90% was absolute . Here at least you have the option of what to look at. There are a lot of less desirables out there (as there are anywhere) and there could be people who think I am one of them... but I can also say I have met some great people in this hobby and on these boards and I hope to continue to do so....

Speedy-D, I just spent a week in Brooklyn about 3 weeks ago and was depressed for two days after I got home because I missed NYC so much. That is one heck of a city you have there. I love it and hope I can someday spend part of my life living there...

Yeah, fellas. Thanks. Well, the question's out there so someone might come through. I am certain it was somebody of note who did it, terrible quality aside I still admire it for the detail (meaning all the stuff other than bats, seems quite unique in that respect and does I think deserve credit), I remember being a bit disappointed at the time and also wondering why they drew batman... but twas long ago.

I think my annoyance came when I realized my initial optimism from the massive response was misfounded as a couple of the cats were being just plain rude due to me, as I said, stumbling into their warzone and them being pretty certain I was their nemesis.

All good fun though.

Hey, dumur, you made the mckean suggestion, I don't think you're crazy, I'm still wanting to prove or disprove it, there's definate pro AND cons, can I see the signature you have if you have a mo'?

Regards.

OK ok......it was not my last post.

Just want to say that I don't want this thread to have a negative taste.

We are (I am) happy that you joined this board.

And I guess we all want to help each other out.

So if anybody can help you....that's what it is all about.

I don't see that anybody did anything bad regarding responding to posts.

And to me nobody tries to pull any shady stuff on here and certainly not in your post.

So all good.. I am happy that you have joined.

More art fans...more chalanges....isn't that what we all want ?

So let's see if we can figure out who did this...next time we only start one thread regarding one piece of art and all is well.

OK ?

Welcome...

Sorry I don't have a close up of the sig. But this is the piece

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=141488&GSub=35785

Now, don't get me wrong, i don't think the signature is THE SAME. I just think there is a similarity...and in your piece you can almost make out a "d" at the beginning and an "n" at the end. And I have seen REALLY ROUGH sketches by Dave that aren't unlike this. NO, the ears aren't the same...and I am not even saying I think it is him...I was just throwing out there as a possibility.

Good luck though.....

I really doubt that is a Dave McKean. Neglecting the problems with the signature, the gesture quality is just too mediocre. I have a hard time believing he would chose to draw an entire batcave scene instead of a nice batman face or bust... especially around that time period. I would think his goal would be to express a lot with minimal use of line. This sketch has overused line. But you never know?

Hey, Dumur, that mckean you have is beaut.

It's all getting a bit moot now, I'm 50/50, signature wise that is a "d" on the sketch... but it will always be debatable unless another as-rough sketch with very similar signature from 88 is found and if someone has a mckean batman sketch with the coin and flag drawn similar (I still stand by that background stuff making this piece pretty cool).

Anyway, keep it up fellas, in the mean time I'm gonna go through the UKCAC88 list to rule out other possibles.

Also, to add a new line of enquiry, could this be by a writer? Little bells in my mind are saying"oooh, explore that one." Here's the UKCAC list again from the other thread...

Confirmed overseas guests

John Byrne

D. Giordano

Steve Leialoha

Mike Mignola

Gilbert Hernandez

Jaime Hernandez

Jerry Ordway

Matt Wagner

Ted McKeever

Trina Robbins

Confirmed British guests

Mick Austin

Jim Baikie

Martin Barker

Brian Bolland

John Bolton

Mike Collins

Allan Davis

Jamie Delano

Steve Dillon

Phil Elliott

Hunt Emerson

Brett Ewins

Carlos Ezquerra

Glenn Fabry

Neil Gaiman

Dave Gibbons

Ian Gibson

Denis Gilford

Alan Grant

Myra Hancock

John Higgins

Dicky Howell

Barry Kitson

Garry Leach

David Lloyd

Martin Lock

Dave McKean

Pat Mills

Grant Morrison

Kevin O’Neill

David Pugh

John Ridgway

Ron Smith

Lew Stringer

Bryan Talbot

I'm very doubtful this is McKean as well - I have a bunch of small sketches & signatures in various books from that time period, and Eric's right on the money when he says that even McKean's fastest sketches are much, much better than this ...