• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just completed another Silver DC set

52 posts in this topic

Congrats to everyone who has finished a set! It took me some time to change to 'focused collector'. I wish I could be unfocused but it is just to expensive!

I am trying to put together a Wonder Woman set from her 'mod series'. At times it is really frustrating when you are trying to get those last few books but it is awesome when you do finally find it!

I'm not rich, so not too high grade. I used to be happy with 4.0, these days it's more like 5.5 - 8.5, or probably really 6.0 - 8.5 unless it's a pricey comic.

In my younger days of collecting I was the same way. VG copies were perfectly acceptable. But in recent years with the internet...I try to keep my low grade collecting to 6.0. But I still have many 4.0's in my collection. Now I'm getting more picky with my Superman Family titles and some of my other faves. 7.0 or better on the SA stuff.

Congrats to everyone who has finished a set! It took me some time to change to 'focused collector'. I wish I could be unfocused but it is just to expensive!

I am trying to put together a Wonder Woman set from her 'mod series'. At times it is really frustrating when you are trying to get those last few books but it is awesome when you do finally find it!

Don't forget her and I-Ching's app. in Superman during the same non-red white and blue outfit phase.

Okay, I do have one complete set that comes to mind: Aquaman. He was my favorite character in my childhood, and I managed to track down all the issues at the few conventions that came our way here in central Ohio back in the 70's. I also got his 4 Showcase appearances.

I'm missing 15 Fantastic Fours to complete a run well into the BA (not sure what issue). Predicatbly most of the missing issues are below #20, including number one. :cry:

I'm down to 8 of the Infantino Adam Strange issues of Mystery in Space. I'm trying to get them in good shape, so that's taking some time.

I have a little more than half of Flash 105-150. Missing 105 and 106 though.

I probably have a little more than half of the first 50 issues of Brave and the Bold. Still need the first eight issues and 28, so lots of work left there.

Then there are many other series that I have 20-30 percent of certain 10-cent runs, like DC sci-fi and Action.

I don't have many Silver Age full sets, Aquaman, Anthro and Teen Titans spring to mind as some I have completed.

Earl.

Those are all fun titles Earl. I love the early Teen Titans issues. Anthro is totally different and only a handful of issues. Thanks for sharing.

Okay, I do have one complete set that comes to mind: Aquaman. He was my favorite character in my childhood, and I managed to track down all the issues at the few conventions that came our way here in central Ohio back in the 70's. I also got his 4 Showcase appearances.

I'm missing 15 Fantastic Fours to complete a run well into the BA (not sure what issue). Predicatbly most of the missing issues are below #20, including number one. :cry:

I'm down to 8 of the Infantino Adam Strange issues of Mystery in Space. I'm trying to get them in good shape, so that's taking some time.

I have a little more than half of Flash 105-150. Missing 105 and 106 though.

I probably have a little more than half of the first 50 issues of Brave and the Bold. Still need the first eight issues and 28, so lots of work left there.

Then there are many other series that I have 20-30 percent of certain 10-cent runs, like DC sci-fi and Action.

Aquaman was probably the first Super-Hero title I completed. Or was it Hawkman. hm I do know rthe first 3 were Aquaman, Atom and Hawkman..as they are the shortest runs of all the Supoerheroes. Unless you count Metamorpho..which I must have at least 2 runs of. lol

Don't forget her and I-Ching's app. in Superman during the same non-red white and blue outfit phase.

I didn't know about that one. I have the World's finest where she teamed with Supes but not a Superman book. Do you happen to know the issue?

I guess I am just that much further away now! :)

Here's 25 Silver DC runs that I need less than 10 issues each to complete.

The # in parentheses is the count I need.

Action Comics 221- -383 (2 copies needed)

Adventure Comics 229-387 (3)

Advs. Of Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis 32-40 (4)

Atom & Hawkman 39-45 (1)

Big Town 41-50 (4)

Binky’s Buddies 1-6 (2)

Blackhawk 108-243 (1)

Buzzy 73-77 (4)

Challengers of the Unknown 1-70 (2)

Debbi’s Dates 1-4 (1)

Flash 105-211 (1)

Flippity & Flop 29-47 (5)

Frontier Fighters 7-8 (1)

Green Lantern 1-81 (1)

Leave it to Binky 56-69 (6)

Mr. District Attorney 53-67 (4)

New Adventures of Charlie Chan 1-6 (2)

Peter Panda 19-31 (9)

Raccoon Kids 61-64 (1)

Real Screen Comics 103-128 (9)

Sg. Bilko’s Pvt. Doberman 1-11 (7)

Superman 109-221 (1)

Three Mouseketeers 4-26 (3)

Unexpected, The 105-116 (1)

World’s Finest 84-190 (9)

Can you post the issue numbers of the ones you still need? I may be able to help you complete some of these runs or at least reduce the amount you need. (thumbs u

I didn't know about that one. I have the World's finest where she teamed with Supes but not a Superman book. Do you happen to know the issue?

I guess I am just that much further away now! :)

It get's worse...Actually these are among my fave Superman stories. Superman #240 I-Ching visits Clark Kent and introduces himself. Wonder Woman actually just Diana prince at this time appears in Superman 241 and wraps up the year long Superman Sandman saga with issue #242. I-Ching helps Superman get rid of the entity that is robbing him of his Super-Powers. A story line that begins in the ultimate Superman classic issue #233. If you love the Diana Prince new Wonder Woman that ran for about 2 years...you gotta get these Superman issues. But you'll want the entire set from #233 to 242 to get the entire story. To this day one of the all time great Supey Classics that kicked off the Bronz-Age.

Even though I'm not really a DC collector, I do have complete runs of 11 different DC Silver Age titles. The other 2 I'm looking to complete one day are:

Flash 105 thru 350 (still need 105 and 106)

Lois Lane 1 thru 137 (still need 1,2,3,4 and 9)

Even though I'm not really a DC collector, I do have complete runs of 11 different DC Silver Age titles. The other 2 I'm looking to complete one day are:

Flash 105 thru 350 (still need 105 and 106)

Lois Lane 1 thru 137 (still need 1,2,3,4 and 9)

LL #9..that's the Pat Boone cover isn't it?

What condition are you looking for on these?

I'll shoot you a PM on the ones I need to complete those 25 titles.

My 6 SA titles are coming along nicely. I think I'm closest to completing Batman with 8 issues needed for 103-217. All are between 107 and 118.

:golfclap:awesome....I have a long way to go on my Bats

I have Flash 105-180, but only plan to go to 232. Not sure how many I need between 181-232, maybe 10-15 issues.

Why not go to 350? You got all the tough ones?

Green Lantern is about 2/3 done. I mostly need 47-75.

Take your time....the GL's I've seen you post in the past are all awesome copies. I still have some upgrading to do in my GL 1-89 set.

I just completed 1-32 on JLA which means I got a long way to go to finish. I'm only going to 125 I think.

I'm also a long, long way from finishing Detective 236-394. I'm mostly lacking in the 236-299 range though.

Strange Adventures 205-216 needs only about 4 or 5 issues to complete. I'm taking my time though trying to get a 8.5-9.2 range on all.

Strange Adventures Deadman run...I love those. I need to check the condition of my run. Most are very nice copies as I recall.

I think I'm just trying to save space when it comes to completing runs. Along with Batman and Detective, I have all of the modern runs of Flash, Justice League(everything from 1986 on), and Green Lantern.

The only one I've managed to complete is Legends of Daniel Boone 1-8. Got nearly all of them from a guy on ebay maybe 8 years ago?

That's impressive. I have 3 #1's and only a couple of the others. The actual silver-age run would be 7 & 8. But I collect all the 50's short runs. Like the Robin Hood tales I have completed. The Charlie Chans I still need 3 & 4. Frontier Fighters I still need about half of. I need most of the 50's Phantom Strangers. These are some of the toughest titles. Congo Bill, I only have the first issue.

No complete SA runs. I do have nice copies of every Fourth World book and my pride and joy; Plop! is complete!

Hail PLOP! (worship)

I still have the original 24 issues I purchased off the stands in the day. The Basil Wolverton covers are hilarious.

It get's worse...Actually these are among my fave Superman stories. Superman #240 I-Ching visits Clark Kent and introduces himself. Wonder Woman actually just Diana prince at this time appears in Superman 241 and wraps up the year long Superman Sandman saga with issue #242. I-Ching helps Superman get rid of the entity that is robbing him of his Super-Powers. A story line that begins in the ultimate Superman classic issue #233. If you love the Diana Prince new Wonder Woman that ran for about 2 years...you gotta get these Superman issues. But you'll want the entire set from #233 to 242 to get the entire story. To this day one of the all time great Supey Classics that kicked off the Bronz-Age.

Thanks for letting me know (I think). It was an era that always intrigued me and I have fun, for the most part, trying to get the run. I knew of the Brave and the Bold issues; the Giant sized #5; the World's Finest; the Justice League; the Lois Lane cover; and the Jerry Lewis book as appearances but I had no idea about the Superman books. I was doing pretty well only needing one B&B; the Jerry Lewis book (which is extremely difficult to find) and a better copy of the Lois Lane book from the 'extra titles'. Within the Wonder Woman set I am only missing 4 but they are a hard four to track down! I have only seen one #178 in 9.4 or better come on sale in the last year and I missed it.

Thanks for letting me know (I think). It was an era that always intrigued me and I have fun, for the most part, trying to get the run. I knew of the Brave and the Bold issues; the Giant sized #5; the World's Finest; the Justice League; the Lois Lane cover; and the Jerry Lewis book as appearances but I had no idea about the Superman books. I was doing pretty well only needing one B&B; the Jerry Lewis book (which is extremely difficult to find) and a better copy of the Lois Lane book from the 'extra titles'. Within the Wonder Woman set I am only missing 4 but they are a hard four to track down! I have only seen one #178 in 9.4 or better come on sale in the last year and I missed it.

Good luck. Which Jerry Lewis is it you need? Diana does not appear on the Superman covers by the way. Interiors only.