• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just completed another Silver DC set

52 posts in this topic

Finally scored a so so copy of the final issue of DoDo and the Frog #92. Overstreet lists as scarce. This makes my 49th complete DC Silver-Age run. I have about 21 other SA DC runs I'm working on that need anywhere from 1 to 5 issues to complete. That leaves another 45 SA DC runs that I need more than 5 books each to complete.

How many of you are approaching filling the final gaps to complete some nice Silver-Age runs. Condition is not the issue here. It's a complete collection that your content with whether it's low or HG.

Not neccessarily #1 up of a run. Any run that begins Sep 1956 and goes no later than Dec, 1969 for myself. Action Comics SA run is 221-383. If you believe the SA should go to a month in 1970 or '71. Then make that your SA run target. Not getting into a debate about where the SA ends.

So how many books do you need to complete a set?

The final issue of Dodo (Dunbar) and theFrog (Fenimore).

DodoFrog92.jpg

I think I have zero complete DC SA runs. For one thing, I'm too much of a unfocused collector. For another thing, I mostly stick to the 10-centers so my runs don't come close to going until the end of the SA.

That's an amazing collection you've got going there Seadevils!

I'm not always so focused myself. Being I have some 66 titles to complete out of 115 I always manage to find issues I do not have. I spend just as much time upgrading as I do filling holes. John, you may not have a complete run yet....but you have an awesome collection. Many of your books are nicer than my copies.

(thumbs u

But the question was...how many runs are you close to completeing? Within say 1 to 10 issues.

Here's 25 Silver DC runs that I need less than 10 issues each to complete.

The # in parentheses is the count I need.

Action Comics 221- -383 (2 copies needed)

Adventure Comics 229-387 (3)

Advs. Of Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis 32-40 (4)

Atom & Hawkman 39-45 (1)

Big Town 41-50 (4)

Binky’s Buddies 1-6 (2)

Blackhawk 108-243 (1)

Buzzy 73-77 (4)

Challengers of the Unknown 1-70 (2)

Debbi’s Dates 1-4 (1)

Flash 105-211 (1)

Flippity & Flop 29-47 (5)

Frontier Fighters 7-8 (1)

Green Lantern 1-81 (1)

Leave it to Binky 56-69 (6)

Mr. District Attorney 53-67 (4)

New Adventures of Charlie Chan 1-6 (2)

Peter Panda 19-31 (9)

Raccoon Kids 61-64 (1)

Real Screen Comics 103-128 (9)

Sg. Bilko’s Pvt. Doberman 1-11 (7)

Superman 109-221 (1)

Three Mouseketeers 4-26 (3)

Unexpected, The 105-116 (1)

World’s Finest 84-190 (9)

I'm not always so focused myself. Being I have some 66 titles to complete out of 115 I always manage to find issues I do not have. I spend just as much time upgrading as I do filling holes. John, you may not have a complete run yet....but you have an awesome collection. Many of your books are nicer than my copies.

(thumbs u

But the question was...how many runs are you close to completeing? Within say 1 to 10 issues.

Lois Lane (3 more)

Superboy (4 more)

Action 250-414 (5 more)

World's Finest 85-225 (6 more)

112..but I actually won one at Ebay and it hasn't come in yet. So when it does I'll X it off the list. I'm thinking it's gonna be just 5.5 to 6.5 type copy. I really would like a nicer copy of that particular issue. So I'm sure I'll still be looking for an upgrade.

Hey, I just finished the entire Flash run, 105 - 350. 112 was the last issue I needed along with 106, both of which I got in February. I completed the Atom (1 - 38 I think it is) a couple weeks ago, and Atom & Hawkman a long time ago, but that's only 6 issues.

I'm working on Mystery in Space, Aquaman & Green Lantern, but I've got a ways to go on all three, especially Mystery in Space. They're really hard to find in decent shape, especially the Infantino issues which are my favorites.

I have all the Flashes from 105 to 350 as well...that is when the 112 arrives. I'm only counting the SA issues on this thread though. Most all the SA titles I collect I also have most all the Bronze issues.

Congrats on the Flash run. That is a awesome set to hold. For some reason I'm missing the last Atom & Hawkman issue #45. Could sworn I had it. It may be misplaced.

One of the toughest runs for me to complete on into the Bronze age was all the 36 issues of Swing with Scooter.

I think the only complete SA run I have is Green Lantern. Back in the 1980s when I was establishing the boundaries of my collection I determined to start JLA with #20, since the earlier stories could all be found reprinted in the 80 Page Giants, 100 Page Super Spectaculars and the like. GL though had never been as thoroughly reprinted (until the Archives rolled out a decade later). As a consequence, I always had the ambition to get the complete run in order to be able to read all the stories.

About 5 years ago or so, that ambition was realized. Predictably, this was the final issue to fall in to place...

454777-gl1.JPG

Edit: I do have some of the latter-day DC SA complete, like Atom and Doom Patrol. With Hawkman, I'm not interested in the post-Schwartz issues, so my run stops short of the end of the Silver Age.

I still have to replace my GL #1. I sold off a number of HG books in the late 80's to do some remodeling on a rental property. I have every Green Lantern from Showcase 22 up to the end of the original run before it became GL Corps. And then the late 80's early 90's set as well.

GL and Flash are among my faves for the Super-hero titles. Batman and Detective are the only 2 Super-Hero titles that I need several issues to complete. I mean like 35 or 40 issues each. All the rest are either completed or just lack 1 to 3 issues.

My 6 SA titles are coming along nicely. I think I'm closest to completing Batman with 8 issues needed for 103-217. All are between 107 and 118.

I have Flash 105-180, but only plan to go to 232. Not sure how many I need between 181-232, maybe 10-15 issues.

Green Lantern is about 2/3 done. I mostly need 47-75.

I just completed 1-32 on JLA which means I got a long way to go to finish. I'm only going to 125 I think.

I'm also a long, long way from finishing Detective 236-394. I'm mostly lacking in the 236-299 range though.

Strange Adventures 205-216 needs only about 4 or 5 issues to complete. I'm taking my time though trying to get a 8.5-9.2 range on all.

My 6 SA titles are coming along nicely. I think I'm closest to completing Batman with 8 issues needed for 103-217. All are between 107 and 118.

:golfclap:awesome....I have a long way to go on my Bats

I have Flash 105-180, but only plan to go to 232. Not sure how many I need between 181-232, maybe 10-15 issues.

Why not go to 350? You got all the tough ones?

Green Lantern is about 2/3 done. I mostly need 47-75.

Take your time....the GL's I've seen you post in the past are all awesome copies. I still have some upgrading to do in my GL 1-89 set.

I just completed 1-32 on JLA which means I got a long way to go to finish. I'm only going to 125 I think.

I'm also a long, long way from finishing Detective 236-394. I'm mostly lacking in the 236-299 range though.

Strange Adventures 205-216 needs only about 4 or 5 issues to complete. I'm taking my time though trying to get a 8.5-9.2 range on all.

Strange Adventures Deadman run...I love those. I need to check the condition of my run. Most are very nice copies as I recall.

Spectre 1-10 are an awesome run. Awesome covers. Looks like your about to cinch up a few DC silver runs also. But we'll always find the next run to collect. Seems no matter how much of our wantlists are filled....we always want more....

Silver Age DC is pretty much where I'm at these days. I pick up Actions & Batmans & Detectives & World's Finests here and there, at some point I['ll start on real runs for those ... but there are so many it's a little intimidating.

Next up for me will be Showcase and Brave & the Bold I think. O, and Hawkman.

Silver Age DC is pretty much where I'm at these days. I pick up Actions & Batmans & Detectives & World's Finests here and there, at some point I['ll start on real runs for those ... but there are so many it's a little intimidating.

Next up for me will be Showcase and Brave & the Bold I think. O, and Hawkman.

What grade range do you try to stay in?