• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE: SS Books from NYCC

119 posts in this topic

If you were happy with the books in their raw form, why are they now essentially worthless to you?

Oh wait, I forgot where I was. Sorry. :baiting:

Sweet. Could you forget again?

I think that's doable. Since you can consistently forget to add wit to your posts, I guess anything is possible.

:hi:

If you were happy with the books in their raw form, why are they now essentially worthless to you?

I am let down that for whatever reason the one bok was dropped to an 8.0. It was a solid copy, and I really dont remember anything substantial enough to bring the book down. It was meant for my registry set, 9.0 being the common number. So I of course wanted a 9.0 in the set.

The 6.5 looked like an 8.0, I just didnt notice the small tear on the bottom cover until after it was signed. The tear is super clean, with no white around it. Which is why I hadnt noticed when I purchased. And as stated I have a habit of buying, and boxing. (which I need to stop) I guess the book was just hammered hard for that defect.

And the reason I say they are now essentially worthless to me is that combined they are now valued at roughly 35-40% what I have in them. And neither are grades that I would have in my collection for those particular issues.

Like I said earlier, it's the new black.
Share with the rest of the class?

I forget who has/had it in their signature line, but there was a statement "Today's 9.9's are the new 9.8's" or something along those lines. Didn't understand until I started buying recent books a certain shift may have taken place in that "competitive edge" some folks talk about.

:eek: Ouch.

I was sweating bullets as I sent in a couple of books for a forumite for sig series. He wanted me to pull out two 9.8s and thankfully they both came back SS 9.8s for him :foryou:

Magic Touch :acclaim:

I think that's doable. Since you can consistently forget to add wit to your posts, I guess anything is possible.

It's not worth the effort anymore. :(

It's not worth the effort anymore. :(

:sorry:

I had three CGC 9.8 modern books signed in New York. Two are now CGC 9.6 SS books. :(

I had 15 CGC 9.8 modern books signed at Emerald City. I am a bit nervous about the results. :wishluck:

:shy: Mutantkeys got one CGC 9.6 book signed for me recently in NYC. It is now a CGC 9.8 SS book.

Sorry to hear, Pat :foryou:
Thanks Danny. But I blame you :baiting: If only you would have helped me..
I'll make it up to you. Next time you want to submit something for SS, I'll give you a special discount :foryou:

Like I said earlier, it's the new black.
Share with the rest of the class?

I forget who has/had it in their signature line, but there was a statement "Today's 9.9's are the new 9.8's" or something along those lines. Didn't understand until I started buying recent books a certain shift may have taken place in that "competitive edge" some folks talk about.

That's from Phigam's signature.

The reason we see modern 9.9's (and 10.0's for that matter) much more frequently these days has absolutely nothing to do with a change in CGC's grading standards - it's first & foremost because more books are produced with heavy cardstock covers that are exceptionally well-suited for those minty grades.

I had three CGC 9.8 modern books signed in New York. Two are now CGC 9.6 SS books. :(

I had 15 CGC 9.8 modern books signed at Emerald City. I am a bit nervous about the results. :wishluck:

:shy: Mutantkeys got one CGC 9.6 book signed for me recently in NYC. It is now a CGC 9.8 SS book.

:headbang: