• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE: SS Books from NYCC

119 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear, Pat :foryou:
Thanks Danny. But I blame you :baiting: If only you would have helped me..
I'll make it up to you. Next time you want to submit something for SS, I'll give you a special discount :foryou:
Too bad there will be no one at philly for me. I am really just trying to get as many Tec' artist signatures as possible. The 403 just didnt meet the grade requirements for the set though. I will have to try again.

Like I said earlier, it's the new black.
Share with the rest of the class?

I forget who has/had it in their signature line, but there was a statement "Today's 9.9's are the new 9.8's" or something along those lines. Didn't understand until I started buying recent books a certain shift may have taken place in that "competitive edge" some folks talk about.

That's from Phigam's signature.

The reason we see modern 9.9's (and 10.0's for that matter) much more frequently these days has absolutely nothing to do with a change in CGC's grading standards - it's first & foremost because more books are produced with heavy cardstock covers that are exceptionally well-suited for those minty grades.

Yep. There are a few books that are plentiful in 9.9 and 10.0. Doesnt make them much less special when they arrive though

I had three CGC 9.8 modern books signed in New York. Two are now CGC 9.6 SS books. :(

I had 15 CGC 9.8 modern books signed at Emerald City. I am a bit nervous about the results. :wishluck:

:shy: Mutantkeys got one CGC 9.6 book signed for me recently in NYC. It is now a CGC 9.8 SS book.

Don't tell me it is a certain book starting with "S" you won lately, is it?

That's from Phigam's signature.

The reason we see modern 9.9's (and 10.0's for that matter) much more frequently these days has absolutely nothing to do with a change in CGC's grading standards - it's first & foremost because more books are produced with heavy cardstock covers that are exceptionally well-suited for those minty grades.

Not sure if I agree with you completely Michael on that statement, IMHO. After buying over 200 CGC books over the past six months, I've had a healthy sampling of books at certain periods coming out of the CGC process.

And since CGC doesn't publish grading standards, how does anyone "absolutely" know those standards have not changed other than CGC staff?

Sorry to hear, Pat :foryou:
Thanks Danny. But I blame you :baiting: If only you would have helped me..
I'll make it up to you. Next time you want to submit something for SS, I'll give you a special discount :foryou:
Too bad there will be no one at philly for me. I am really just trying to get as many Tec' artist signatures as possible. The 403 just didnt meet the grade requirements for the set though. I will have to try again.

I thought Danny was headed to Philly?

Jim

I had three CGC 9.8 modern books signed in New York. Two are now CGC 9.6 SS books. :(

I had 15 CGC 9.8 modern books signed at Emerald City. I am a bit nervous about the results. :wishluck:

:shy: Mutantkeys got one CGC 9.6 book signed for me recently in NYC. It is now a CGC 9.8 SS book.

Heh. No, it's a Miracleman book (thumbs u

Heh. No, it's a Miracleman book (thumbs u

Now that is another impressive 9.8 series to have. Way to go!

And as stated I have a habit of buying, and boxing. (which I need to stop) I guess the book was just hammered hard for that defect.

Remember my first submission Pat? A couple of real stinkers in there that I had failed to look at properly and they got hammered. Fortunately I didn't have a lot in the books but they were for my registry set and one of them added a huge three points.

:tonofbricks:

If I'd have had them SS witnessed prior to slabbing I would have been as mad as you are now. Thing is though mate you've openly admitted you've learned your lesson and identified yourself as the weak llink in the books getting lower grades than expected. That takes balls to admit you didn't look over them properly, it's always easy to point the finger somewhere else.

So now you've learned that lesson what are the chances of it happening again? Never? I would guess so. My last submission of moderns as you know all came back at the least acceptable (9.6), but over half came back as 9.8, even though one was gifted. That was because I sat down and looked at the books before they went in the box. I'm glad I've learned it the hard way, albeit at a much smaller price than yours, but sometimes we all need a kick in the ass to remind us not to take the funny book business for granted (thumbs u

And as stated I have a habit of buying, and boxing. (which I need to stop) I guess the book was just hammered hard for that defect.

Remember my first submission Pat? A couple of real stinkers in there that I had failed to look at properly and they got hammered. Fortunately I didn't have a lot in the books but they were for my registry set and one of them added a huge three points.

If I'd have had them SS witnessed prior to slabbing I would have been as mad as you are now. Thing is though mate you've openly admitted you've learned your lesson and identified yourself as the weak llink in the books getting lower grades than expected. That takes balls to admit you didn't look over them properly, it's always easy to point the finger somewhere else.

So now you've learned that lesson what are the chances of it happening again? Never? I would guess so. My last submission of moderns as you know all came back at the least acceptable (9.6), but over half came back as 9.8, even though one was gifted. That was because I sat down and looked at the books before they went in the box. I'm glad I've learned it the hard way, albeit at a much smaller price than yours, but sometimes we all need a kick in the ass to remind us not to take the funny book business for granted (thumbs u

That, and never put a submission together at 2 AM in the morning.

That, and never put a submission together at 2 AM in the morning.

Agree with both posts. Now I will just continue waiting for my crummy books. So they can go on ebay, and the only memory will be in this thread.

Agree with both posts. Now I will just continue waiting for my crummy books. So they can go on ebay, and the only memory will be in this thread.

Well, at least you know there are a few 9.6 Detectives waiting for a good home. :baiting:

Well, at least you know there are a few 9.6 Detectives waiting for a good home. :baiting:

But they arent 9.8's :baiting:

Now you and I know that dog don't hunt when the "9.8 quest" has brought bupkis, and folks are not accepting wooden nickels, hand carved by you or not.

Now you and I know that dog don't hunt when the "9.8 quest" has brought bupkis, and folks are not accepting wooden nickels, hand carved by you or not.

I passed on the few I have seen. I missed the last 9.6 a few days ago.