• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lost in the Mail...

58 posts in this topic

During my recent sale of Journey into Mystery books, I had a buyer buy 3 books for about $800. I shipped the books insured priority Mail on 12-19. Then I received this email from the buyer (name and phone number removed):

Hi;

Have not received the books yet. I did receive a notice of an attempted delivery for package # VD 325290925 US. It looks like this package is lost as my post office cannot locate it and has placed a search on it. Is this your package? Could you please e-mail me a scan of the PO insurance receipt and I will present it to my post office. If you could also please contact your PO about this matter. Thanks,

And then this email today:

Hi Ross:

Went again to the post office today, looks like the package was lost and I was told that you need to file a claim in order to get a refund. You may have to wait 30 to 60 days, in order to see if it is returned to you before they will pay you. Please let me know what your PO say's because I really do not want to wait two months in order to get my money back. Sincerely,

After the first email, I sent him the scan of the insurance receipt. He gave me his phone number, so I called him and asked how I could help. He said I should go to the Post Office and fle a claim. I said sure. Then he said once I file a claim, I should refund him the $800 myself, and then I should wait for the Post Office to refund the claim, because he shouldn't have to wait the 30-60 days.

I explained that I will be happy to file the claim, and when I recieved a refund from the Post Office, I would be happy to refund him the $800; but I did not think I should have to put the money out myself, especially since the merchandise is gone. He disagrees. We are both being civil about the matter, but I said I would go to the boards and get a second opinion.

Opinions? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No matter what way you go, I would not give out any money before the PO confirms they cannot find the comics. I think there is a point where the claim is "approved" and after that, you could feel confident enough to refund.

The horror story would commence if you refunded the money, the package showed up, and your claim was declined. 893whatthe.gif

I worked at the P.O. for 12 years. Don't send any money until they approve your claim.

1 example...insured package was a delivered (insured with P.O. does not include delivery confirmation, always use this) on a doorstep, customer comes home claims he never received the package. After a long search by the P.O. they say they can't find it. Sender files a claim assumes he will get a refund so sends buyer a refund. Then days go by the postal inspectors get involved on the claim and they find out the guy did receive the package. The guy now has a refund from you and your out the items plus the cash. Only way to get your money back is court. So if you send money to buyer and then discover your claim was denied you will be out the cash.

Always use delivery confirmation when using Post Office.

Hope this helps.

I worked at the P.O. for 12 years

That's where all those lost Silver Age Keys went foreheadslap.gif

Seriously, thanks for the advice so far. How much time in between filing, then a claim being "approved", then the issuing of a refund? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would without a doubt, NOT send him the money. There's still a chance the book could show, and there's still a chance the book DID show and he's just not saying it did. Either way, it's not your fault the books were lost in the mail and you shouldn't be out the money for it.

Brian

unfortunately this time of year things get real slow due to many lost packages or claims made. On average refund would be between 3-4 weeks depending on if the P.O. has had claims made from the same person in the past. Buyer or Seller.

When you file the claim if you haven't yet ask how long and check at least once a week. They seem to rush things when you become a pain in the arsh. thumbsup2.gif

The Post Office usually makes you wait 30 days before a claim can be filed. If he received an attempted delivery notice it's obviously not your fault the Post Office lost the package afterwards (if they did). I wouldn't refund anything until you actually go through the process and get your refund "approved". Until then, your buyer will just have to wait. I wouldn't be surprised if the package doesn't show up before then. Good luck!

I explained that I will be happy to file the claim, and when I recieved a refund from the Post Office, I would be happy to refund him the $800; but I did not think I should have to put the money out myself, especially since the merchandise is gone. He disagrees. We are both being civil about the matter, but I said I would go to the boards and get a second opinion.

Sadly, your USPS is the WORST in the world.

I have never ever ever known a package get lost by FedEx or DHL or UPS.

Last Christmas my Mother, who lives in Florida, sent me a package of ten tapes to watch of shows we cannot get in England. She sent them Air Mail Express insured, and yet they NEVER turned up to this day.

A few months ago, Jef Hinds sent me a big box of DC comics by air mail insured. After four weeks they still hadn't showed. He put in a claim, I started buying copies elsewhere of comics that were in the box, FINALLY they turned up after nearly five weeks.

On 19th November, Joe Nacca, who was suggested to me by someone on these very boards, sent me 26 DCs off my ever dwindling wants list - irreplaceable stuff like Ozzie And Harriet, Everything Happens To Harvey, Comic Cavalcade, Miss Beverly Hills, Scribbly, several Date With Judy's etc etc, and I begged him, literally BEGGED him to make sure they were trackable. His post office said they couldn't insure him unless he sent them air mail insured, and that way they weren't actually trackable.

And yet again, lo and behold, nearly six weeks later, no sign of the comics, and already I've spent a few hundred dollars replacing six of them, with no trace or lead of the other twenty, or any current hope of replacing them.

I HATE YOUR USPS.

it's an utter absolute disgrace.

If you're sending comics, FIND ANY OTHER WAY, BUT AVOID THE USPS LIKE A PLAGUE.

IT STINKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I mean it.

There is always someone in here at my house, and no way anyone has tried to deliver any parcel and not gotten a reply.

Like I said, THE SERVICE STINKS !!!!!!!!!!

I had a very similar situation happen this past August. A buyer in Nebraska bought a Fantastic Four #92 from me for $40. I purchased insurance on it and sent the book to him. When he received it, a staple had popped out. I filed the insurance claim on September 2, and it went to the PO in Beatrice, NE. The post office there denied the claim, saying it was a "shipping issue." I was later told they had made a mistake, and that only the post office where the claim was filed had the authority to adjudicate the claim. I told my buyer that as soon as I received the book back, I would send him a full refund. He of course wanted the refund immediately. Long story short, I never received the book back, and had to repeatedly ask my post office to check the status of the book. Finally, on December 10th, my post office admitted the book was probably lost and that I had waited long enough, so they paid the claim. I sent my buyer a refund two days later.

I did not feel comfortable sending a refund without receiving the book back. For all I knew, the buyer and the PO worker in Beatrice were in cahoots, and the book was in the condition I sent it, assimilated into someone's collection. So I would strongly advise you to not send any money until your claim is paid, particulary since you are dealing with $800 vice $40.

Sadly, your USPS is the WORST in the world.

II HATE YOUR USPS.

it's an utter absolute disgrace.

If you're sending comics, FIND ANY OTHER WAY, BUT AVOID THE USPS LIKE A PLAGUE.

IT STINKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I mean it.

There is always someone in here at my house, and no way anyone has tried to deliver any parcel and not gotten a reply.

Like I said, THE SERVICE STINKS !!!!!!!!!!

confused-smiley-013.gif Guess I got lucky then...over 300 parcels sent from the US to my house and none have ever gone missing. Ok, one took about three months, but it did weigh almost as much as my first car...

99% was sent using USPS...never insured, hardly ever registered and never express...most take 3-4 days and they arrive like clockwork

i'm with you!!!!!

almost 300 purchases and the only thing that ever got lost was coming from Canada. (now there's a postal service that seems to have some issues).

and don't get me started on the french - only kidding.........

I've sent approximately 7000 packages via USPS since I've started selling on eBay and have lost a grand total of zero, including sending books to such interesting locales as Croatia, Vanuatu, Hong Kong, Ukraine, Belarus, Nepal(!), Andorra, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Ohio and Iowa. As long as you send things GLOBAL PRIORITY MAIL you should be OK. Most everybody accepts it - Italy doesn't, for some strange reason.

almost 300 purchases and the only thing that ever got lost was coming from Canada. (now there's a postal service that seems to have some issues).

We only employ the top 10% of halfway house criminals up here. thumbsup2.gif

I've sent approximately 7000 packages via USPS since I've started selling on eBay and have lost a grand total of zero

Then how do you explain my disastrous experience of three in a year ???????

Do you BLAME me for feeling let down ???????

I've sent approximately 7000 packages via USPS since I've started selling on eBay and have lost a grand total of zero

Then how do you explain my disastrous experience of three in a year ???????

Do you BLAME me for feeling let down ???????

Its just you, Ian. grin.gif

Seriously, if they didn't send your stuff GLOBAL PRIORITY MAIL you're hosed.

Can't you use FexEx International?

Sure, if you want to pay $30 customs fees.

It's really not as bad as I make it out to be, though at Christmas, things do get a bit hairy, and their "criminal holiday workers" do tend to scam quite a bit.

Through the rest of the year, it's rock solid, and I have yet to lose a package any other time of the year.

Can't you use FexEx International?

Sure, if you want to pay $30 customs fees.

Well I meant for expensive items that are irreplaceable.

Well I meant for expensive items that are irreplaceable.

Well I think it's safe to say that All Funny 11, Comic Cavalcade 46, Everything Happens To Harvey 6, Miss Beverly Hills 7, Scribbly 15, Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet 5, All American 50, as well as a ton of 1950s romance comics are pretty much bordering on irreplaceable.

Otherwise I wouldn't be feeling so embittered.

It's the hours and hours spent searching for them.

I spent sixteen hours wading through e-bay yesterday to find one overpriced high grade All American 89 at double guide, and I'm still wading through the junk that was put up on their horrible "free day" trying to catch up. And therefore feeling even worse about my missing box of twenty six comics.

It's just not worth it.....................