• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone see the *spoon* Tracy daily on Antiques Roadshow ?

18 posts in this topic

Was it this past Monday's episode? If so, I have it recorded to my DVR but haven't watched it yet. They've had a bit of OA on there: Peanuts dailies, Milton Caniff OA (That was nice), Dick Tracy dailies, and a some others.

I did see it and thought it was pretty cool. Admittedly I know very little about original comic strip art but it was nice to see.

It was a 1930s era original piece of Tracy art so I would expect it to be fairly pricey.

Ya alot of the golden age strip are is that big. Not sure when they started to use smaller stock for strip art. I think all of my strip art prior to the 70s is around that size. It is in the 80s where I start to see small size stock.

Was it this past Monday's episode? If so, I have it recorded to my DVR but haven't watched it yet. They've had a bit of OA on there: Peanuts dailies, Milton Caniff OA (That was nice), Dick Tracy dailies, and a some others.

6 or more years ago a guy brought in a 2 or 3 Little Nemo pages by Winsor McKay. Very impressive.

I caught it. I remember it was one of the few examples from 1932... maybe some more will surface. The owner kept calling it a "cartoon".

Does it really matter if there are few examples from 1932 when there are many (according to the show) from 1931? I can understand a collector of these trying to get the earliest possible example but fail to see why it would matter if there were few from a particular year if the piece wasn't significant otherwise.

I think he was just underlining that it was fresh to market / not suspected to exist by virtue of the 1932 date.... otherwise I don't see why it would matter as you say

I never understood the "fresh to market" thing. It has been argued that the last few years comic art has gone nuts in part due to CAF and people posting what they have. The fresh to market theory is the exact opposite of the CAF theory. They can both be true ....can they?

I guess that's open to debate but the appraiser clearly believes in it. I've heard it mentioned on AR in other areas too, even pottery and so on, so whether its right or wrong its not just a comic art thing.

I caught it. I remember it was one of the few examples from 1932... maybe some more will surface. The owner kept calling it a "cartoon".

Does it really matter if there are few examples from 1932 when there are many (according to the show) from 1931? I can understand a collector of these trying to get the earliest possible example but fail to see why it would matter if there were few from a particular year if the piece wasn't significant otherwise.

i'd guess that 1932 was still very early in the scheme of tracy, so that would be of interest to the strip collectors. if it was 1942, well that's no gould.

you had to watch the episode, but the appraiser was implying that 1932 was more valuable than 1931 (because there were known 1931's and no known 1932s).