• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The art of selling...

43 posts in this topic

While I am hardly an expert on such matters, I am bothered every time I see a seller state, "...I am not going to give the stuff away for free" or "...I know what this is worth...". Does the seller realize that statements like that come off as being hostile? Personally, I see this and run the other way because it denotes hints of an unreasonable person behind the sale.

Setting a price for a product is an art form and sellers should really be aware of their audience and product demand. If there are pricing guides offered for your product, you should perhaps take a look at them but they are not the end all and don't necessarily dictate current market conditions. Use recent sales, etc and do some homework first before trying to gouge the very place you are using as a selling resource.

Not directed at anyone particular but just wanted to get that off of my chest.

End of rantrant

It shows a tin ear and misunderstanding of internet communication. It's real simple to learn the art form. Pretend like you are either Tiffany's, Target, or Walmart depending on the type of wares and style you want sell. Would either of these three use that as a technique? How about flashing animation or large pastel letters? No return policy?

And if you don't see that from a seller, it is a red flag of sorts, not that it means fraud or some such, but it is a warning.

Ed

The low-ballers can be an irritation. They are entitled to offer whatever they feel comfortable with, and you as the seller are entitled to accept what you feel comfortable with.

The problems, though, come in two forms. One, you get the habitual low-ballers, the guys and gals that, no matter what you might ask for an item (200% or 10% of Guide), always want to chisel that little bit more. No valid financial reason...not that the price isn't fair (or bargain basement, for that matter), or that they can't afford it otherwise...just that they want to take you for a few more dollars.

The other issue is with the folk who want to argue with you if you turn down their 'generous' offer. They'll quote debateable facts and figures for as long as you let them, sometimes getting more and more irritated as the back-and-forth progresses. I actually had a guy who wished to offer me less than 10% of Guide on a batch of stuff that I had priced at 30% of Guide (that's of, not off). Low- to mid-grade SA stuff, admittedly, and nothing that you couldn't find elsewhere within 10 minutes. However, my respectful declining of his offer was met with a 'well, you won't get a better offer anywhere else, and you won't shift them otherwise'.

Well, I did, and at pretty much at my asking price. doh!

All of this can be irritating, and extremely time-consuming, and sometimes you know going in that you're not prepared to budge more than a few dollars...maybe give a hand with the shipping, but little else...and so you want to cut down on the static, hence a polite heads-up to your prospective buyers.

Now, there are way and means of getting this across and a 'if you don't like the price, just off' sort of attitude is going to win you few friends. However, a 'I've got quite a bit in these, so there isn't much wiggle-room' approach is appropriate, and 100% inoffensive.

IMHO, of course. :insane:

While I am hardly an expert on such matters, I am bothered every time I see a seller state, "...I am not going to give the stuff away for free" or "...I know what this is worth...". Does the seller realize that statements like that come off as being hostile? Personally, I see this and run the other way because it denotes hints of an unreasonable person behind the sale.

On the other hand, as happened to me at the last VCC, you can discount comics significantly from guide and still have a potential buyer infer that your prices are still too high and that he has seen the same books in similar grades for less elsewhere.

Did I say to him "I am not going to give the stuff away for free?"

No, but I did think it.

I have no problem selling comics for less than guide but I do have a bottom line and I'm extemely reluctant to go below it.

EDIT - Nick said it better. :grin:

I dunno, I don't usually buy from threatening people, there are just too many things available...if I make an offer, it's usually what I think I can sell the book for, IF I need to get rid of it. If it's something I HAVE to have and I don't care if I can get rid of it, I may just grab it, but threats, just make me close the thread.

I feel like I'm in a used car lot..NOTHING wrong with used cars...but I like to avoid pushy sellers, I usually think something is missing

Was on ebay one day and saw a book I wanted. Listing had a BIN with Best Offer. I made an offer and the response from the seller was along the lines of "I've sold this book for more than that" Denied! No counter offer, nothing.

Certainly any seller can charge what he/she wants. I'm not knocking that, but why have a listing with the best offer option if you aren't even going to make a counter offer? Just list the thing with a BIN only and be done with it if you aren't willing to listen to offers.

I think there is a level of unprofessionalism when I see those type of quotes used in an ad and personally would rather deal with some else. I would feel that if I had an issue with the product, that those type of sellers would not be easy to deal with once they had my money in hand.

I have had low ballers and many buyers contact me to deal outside of ebay (when I sold more on ebay). I would just give them a blanket email and be done with it. I guess it is time consuming but it never really bothered me that much. It's the nature of collecting everyone wants a bargain and needs to have it.

I don't really get that BIN feature either. Supposely, the seller sets some type of threshold so that it is accepted instantly (within a minute) else the seller has to intervine in the transaction and approve or deny. But I am not convinced that it works. I am cheap with shipping so if the seller only approves one book when I did offers on 5 then I am stuck with shipping cost for only one book.

Thanks all for posting not really sure what replies I expected but they were interesting.

While I am hardly an expert on such matters, I am bothered every time I see a seller state, "...I am not going to give the stuff away for free" or "...I know what this is worth...".

I will take this any time over the snake-oil salesman, the carnival barker, or the abject practitioner of the dubious art of hucksterism.

While I am hardly an expert on such matters, I am bothered every time I see a seller state, "...I am not going to give the stuff away for free" or "...I know what this is worth...".

I will take this any time over the snake-oil salesman, the carnival barker, or the abject practitioner of the dubious art of hucksterism.

Touche

No offense to anyone who does this but I always run when I see the dreaded "you can convince me to part with it for..."

that almost always garuntees the book is way over gpa. the seller knows it's overpriced, but he will give you the "it's one of my favorites...it's a key...I love the cover, etc... to try and explain why he's pricing it so high. I understand you can ask whatever you want for a book, but come on, I see some use this technique and price a book well above the gpa all time high. Why even bother listing if it means soo much to you. (shrug)

I just like someone (seller) to post the price they want for the book. NO MORE AND NO LESS.

Is that too much to ask for?

Why do so many that sell comics, have to imitate the car salesman myth (?).

Go to a car lot and pay what he/she initially asks for a vehicle and you are either rich or stupid. (there are very few exceptions)

Go to a comic book dealer (LCS or CON) and pay what the seller initially asks, and you are either rich or stupid. (there are very few exceptions).

I know that I will get flamed over this posting, because there are so many dealers here. But my point is not to denegrate dealers. My point is to denegrate people (us) in general. We are always trying to squeeze that extra nickel out of the other guy. Why can't we just say "this is the price this item costs"? No more, no less.

Not that I haven't attempted to barter with anyone for cars or comics (and houses), but why do "we" so often, ask for more than we will sell for? The answer is the pursuit of the extra nickel.

Sad really, but the way it is.

As to the initial posting about language in sales threads. What about GPA quotes for raw books? Do they make sense? ...........................................................I guess they can't hurt.

No offense to anyone who does this but I always run when I see the dreaded "you can convince me to part with it for..."

that almost always garuntees the book is way over gpa. the seller knows it's overpriced, but he will give you the "it's one of my favorites...it's a key...I love the cover, etc... to try and explain why he's pricing it so high. I understand you can ask whatever you want for a book, but come on, I see some use this technique and price a book well above the gpa all time high. Why even bother listing if it means soo much to you. (shrug)

Honestly, have never really come across this with a seller. I know what I am willing to spend on an item (comic or any other type of collectible) and I don't feel like anything I want is that rare. I am pretty resourceful and have luck finding it or something similiar to it.

I just like someone (seller) to post the price they want for the book. NO MORE AND NO LESS.

Is that too much to ask for?

Why do so many that sell comics, have to imitate the car salesman myth (?).

Go to a car lot and pay what he/she initially asks for a vehicle and you are either rich or stupid. (there are very few exceptions)

Go to a comic book dealer (LCS or CON) and pay what the seller initially asks, and you are either rich or stupid. (there are very few exceptions).

I know that I will get flamed over this posting, because there are so many dealers here. But my point is not to denegrate dealers. My point is to denegrate people (us) in general. We are always trying to squeeze that extra nickel out of the other guy. Why can't we just say "this is the price this item costs"? No more, no less.

Not that I haven't attempted to barter with anyone for cars or comics (and houses), but why do "we" so often, ask for more than we will sell for? The answer is the pursuit of the extra nickel.

Sad really, but the way it is.

As to the initial posting about language in sales threads. What about GPA quotes for raw books? Do they make sense? ...........................................................I guess they can't hurt.

I would never think about going to an LCS and start haggling over price. But that is just me. You do have a valid point about americans looking for the lowest possible price and it has been stated that this is really damaging our economy. Just look at the mom and pop stores that have gone out of business to make room for the Home Depots and Wal-marts. Kinda sad when you think of it. But that is another topic probably one that is best handled at the water cooler.

Honestly, have never really come across this with a seller. I know what I am willing to spend on an item (comic or any other type of collectible) and I don't feel like anything I want is that rare. I am pretty resourceful and have luck finding it or something similiar to it.

it's happen to me a couple of times where I was looking for a particular issue. Even though I knew they were asking a ransom, I made a reasonable offer (based on gpa) to no success. They gave me the "I have no problem keeping, it's one of my favs"...

Here's a technique that even Strunk and White would be proud of

Comic A - $100 Firm

For the seller willing to take offers

Comic A - $100 Or Best Offer

Would you take $85 for Comic A? :baiting: