• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The art of selling...

43 posts in this topic

I aggree with the "no reserve" aspect on Ebay also. I have sold everything from Amazing Fantasy #15 to ASM #300, with no reserve on Ebay. I have lost money on several items, but that is the chance you take with an auction versus an item for sale outright. IMHO.

That is what an auction is. Highest bidder gets the item. Not highest bidder over this mark.

Even though I am an investor in comic books, I just can't lower myself to beg or conive for that extra nickel.

My ebay selling policy is pretty much £0.99 starting bid, no reserve, returns welcome. Let the market dictate the price. :sumo:

Actually, those days are long gone for me. I just won a comic for .99 ¢ and feel bad for the seller as he also charged straight shipping too. Ebay fees are .35¢ and then paypal (I think) .30¢ plus 2.9% of the transaction. When all said and done, you are really giving the stuff away for free. :eek:

I would never think about going to an LCS and start haggling over price. But that is just me.

:o

I'm not going to haggle over a $1 book that I'm picking up, but if it's a more expensive issue (or I'm buying in bulk), I have no problems whatsoever asking for a discount. The worst they can do is say no.

Do you pay full guide for all your comic books in general? :insane:

The funny thing is, I have never asked or haggled on a price for a book. I go to shows, go to dealers I never met, pull books, and they just discount them without me asking.

Must be that Greek charisma kicking in :banana:

What's fun is posting a 50-book lot for $100.....and having someone offer me $10 for the top five books. :cloud9:

Wicked fun lol

Almost as fun as PMs with low ball prices coming in from certain people, especially quoting the lowest GPA selling price, only to see them ask for the highest GPA price when its their turn to sell.

Gotta love that.

I would never think about going to an LCS and start haggling over price. But that is just me.

I'm not going to haggle over a $1 book that I'm picking up, but if it's a more expensive issue (or I'm buying in bulk), I have no problems whatsoever asking for a discount. The worst they can do is say no.

I guess you missed my other thread - Are you above paying guide (or something like that. I cannot find it)

I purchase in bulk, I do not feel comfortable approaching the store owner for a discount. I don't go into a bookstore and expect one or a clothing store unless they are having a sale. My old LCS was really good to me throughout the years that I would never think to ask because in the long and short it all wash out.

Now, I am not a high grade comic purchaser but I can see haggling over a book that is in the high hundreds or thousands. But I am nowhere in that market.

What's fun is posting a 50-book lot for $100.....and having someone offer me $10 for the top five books. :cloud9:

Wicked fun lol

Almost as fun as PMs with low ball prices coming in from certain people, especially quoting the lowest GPA selling price, only to see them ask for the highest GPA price when its their turn to sell.

Gotta love that.

:roflmao:

I love the sellers that price based on all-time GPA highs...not even the highs of the current of previous years.

I'd say 90% of Ebay stores are selling their books at either all time highs or multiples of GPA...It's really ridiculous. And the ones that accept offers will flat out reject the offer if it's 12month or lower.

The low-ballers can be an irritation. They are entitled to offer whatever they feel comfortable with, and you as the seller are entitled to accept what you feel comfortable with.

The problems, though, come in two forms. One, you get the habitual low-ballers, the guys and gals that, no matter what you might ask for an item (200% or 10% of Guide), always want to chisel that little bit more. No valid financial reason...not that the price isn't fair (or bargain basement, for that matter), or that they can't afford it otherwise...just that they want to take you for a few more dollars.

:hi:

I'm "one of those guys." I always...always...want to feel like I'm getting a better deal...even if it's only 5%...than some Joe Blow off the street.

But...I counter that in two ways:

1. I buy a lot. So, if I'm asking for a discount of any kind, it's nearly always because I've got a stack of 30 in my hand. I never, ever, ever ask for a discount on a onesie-twosie basis.

2. I tend to mitigate the "screaming deals" by buying stuff that isn't so screaming...so, when I finally found a GI Joe #155 NM for $2 last week...yeah, really....I also bought 25 other books, including an Amazing Spiderman #36 (9/11) in VF for $10, which is essentially FMV for the book. I didn't press the discount issue.

I guess you missed my other thread - Are you above paying guide (or something like that. I cannot find it)

I purchase in bulk, I do not feel comfortable approaching the store owner for a discount. I don't go into a bookstore and expect one or a clothing store unless they are having a sale.

There's a world of difference between a store that sells new merchandise at fixed prices, and stores that sell USED merchandise.

Can you negotiate with your local Kroger, Barnes n' Noble, or Ikea? No, because they're selling new items at fixed prices.

Can you negotiate at Goodwill, Grandma's Antiques, or the Local Comic Book Store? Sure, it's generally welcome.

Comic stores are special in that they can sell both new and old items, back issues natch. Would anyone take a new book and ask to buy it for 50 cents? Doubtful. But would someone take a handful of back issues that aren't selling and ask to buy them for 50 cents each? Sure, why not?

If you're buying new, you generally can't negotiate. If you're buying used, you generally can.

There's a world of difference between a store that sells new merchandise at fixed prices, and stores that sell USED merchandise.

Can you negotiate with your local Kroger, Barnes n' Noble, or Ikea? No, because they're selling new items at fixed prices.

Can you negotiate at Goodwill, Grandma's Antiques, or the Local Comic Book Store? Sure, it's generally welcome.

Comic stores are special in that they can sell both new and old items, back issues natch. Would anyone take a new book and ask to buy it for 50 cents? Doubtful. But would someone take a handful of back issues that aren't selling and ask to buy them for 50 cents each? Sure, why not?

If you're buying new, you generally can't negotiate. If you're buying used, you generally can.

I understand what you are saying and storefront businesses I don't haggle on price. I see it and if it is within my price point for whatever it is, I buy it. Last year, I went "antiquing" and all my purchases were haggle free. Someone has to pay for the brick and mortar.

Now at a flea market or garage sale, no problems haggling prices. Again, that is only if I feel that the item should be lower. If the seller has priced it nicely, I have no problem just handing over the cash.

The low-ballers can be an irritation. They are entitled to offer whatever they feel comfortable with, and you as the seller are entitled to accept what you feel comfortable with.

The problems, though, come in two forms. One, you get the habitual low-ballers, the guys and gals that, no matter what you might ask for an item (200% or 10% of Guide), always want to chisel that little bit more. No valid financial reason...not that the price isn't fair (or bargain basement, for that matter), or that they can't afford it otherwise...just that they want to take you for a few more dollars.

I'm "one of those guys." I always...always...want to feel like I'm getting a better deal...even if it's only 5%...than some Joe Blow off the street.

1. I buy a lot. So, if I'm asking for a discount of any kind, it's nearly always because I've got a stack of 30 in my hand. I never, ever, ever ask for a discount on a onesie-twosie basis.

2. I tend to mitigate the "screaming deals" by buying stuff that isn't so screaming...so, when I finally found a GI Joe #155 NM for $2 last week...yeah, really....I also bought 25 other books, including an Amazing Spiderman #36 (9/11) in VF for $10, which is essentially FMV for the book. I didn't press the discount issue.

Oh, I've got no problem with anyone asking for a bit of a tickle on a purchase...I do it myself from time to time. But every time? Even when the deal on the table is more than fair?

Nope.

If it's a fair price on an item, a price that I'm happy to pay, and I have the appropriate coin, I'll just give a straight :takeit: Call it personal karma.

However, asking for a helping hand on 'bulk' deals is, IMHO, perfectly acceptable. The problem there is how you define 'bulk'. To my mind, two ing books does not equate to 'bulk'. doh!

Oh, I've got no problem with anyone asking for a bit of a tickle on a purchase...I do it myself from time to time. But every time? Even when the deal on the table is more than fair?

Nope.

If it's a fair price on an item, a price that I'm happy to pay, and I have the appropriate coin, I'll just give a straight :takeit: Call it personal karma.

However, asking for a helping hand on 'bulk' deals is, IMHO, perfectly acceptable. The problem there is how you define 'bulk'. To my mind, two ing books does not equate to 'bulk'. doh!

Not even two of those bulky 100-pagers :baiting:

Nope.

Not even two of those bulky 100-pagers :baiting:

meh

lol

I generally only ask for some kind of deal if two things have happened: 1.) The book or books have been languishing for quite a while with no bites and 2.) If there are multiple items that I want in the sales thread that can be packaged to make the deal palatable to both parties. I've asked for a deal on higher ticket items a couple times.

I get what the OP is saying though, there's definitely an art to both buying and selling. I'm always a bit amazed at folks that get all uptight when their deal is refused.

I generally only ask for some kind of deal if two things have happened: 1.) The book or books have been languishing for quite a while with no bites and 2.) If there are multiple items that I want in the sales thread that can be packaged to make the deal palatable to both parties. I've asked for a deal on higher ticket items a couple times.

I get what the OP is saying though, there's definitely an art to both buying and selling. I'm always a bit amazed at folks that get all uptight when their deal is refused.

I think both your reasons are solid justification for making an offer...I would never have any problem thrashing something out with a prospective buyer in these circumstances. (thumbs u

However, the usual suspects guys who PM you 47 seconds after you post a 9.4 sub-#100 JIM with 'I know you're asking $1500 for this, but according to the #17 Overstreet Price Guide it's only really worth $500, but I'll tell you what, I'll be fair and offer you $400, but only if you include Air Mail shipping. With insurance. Via FedEx. And throw in that Spidey #11 (9.2) whilst you're at it' are not going to get the same understanding. meh

That depends on what you mean by "every time"....

Every time I go to a new place, or new table, or new dealer? Yup.

Every time I deal with THE SAME dealer? That depends on the seller and the situation.

One coin shop I visit frequently is Xavier coins in Mesa, AZ. The first time I was there, I had about $150 worth of stuff, and asked for a discount. The owner, a nice guy by the name of Greg, was visibly put off by the request, but gave me a token discount anyways.

I read the situation, and didn't ask for a discount again. Either the price marked was what I was willing to pay, or I didn't buy it.

Last month, for the first time in 3 years, I asked if he could do a bit on a large pile of the "discount" coins..having just spent $400 there that week. He happily gave me a 10% discount on already well priced coins.

Being able to read people is as invaluable a skill to a buyer as it is to a seller. In that case, I can occasionally ask for a discount and remain in good graces. Some dealers, you never can. Some dealers EXPECT you to haggle. It's all about getting a feel for the seller in question.

Nope.

That implies that there's somehow something wrong, or incorrect, or "bad karma" about asking for a better price.

Um...

I never, ever, ever ask for a discount on a onesie-twosie basis.

and:

...I also bought 25 other books...

I agree, two books does not equal "bulk". For comics, I think anything less than 25 is not "bulk."