• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-man popularity is amazing given lack of "name" artists who drew him

43 posts in this topic

Bagely to me 'caught' the innocence that Ditko captured in the ealiest days of Spidey. I thought he did Spidey really well, although not as technically great as other Spidey artists his stylized Spidey got across what it needed to. Ultimately the proof is in the pudding and Ultimate Spidey was a smashing success.

I can remember as a little kid, buying Amazing Spider-man and knowing that I'd find consistent art from Ross Andru in there. Some hammer him as a "journeyman", but I found his 70's work to be quite good and it was nice just knowing that you weren't going to be hijacked by Frank Robbins, Don Heck, Goerge Tuska, or 70's Kirby.

I see names like Adams, Wrightson, Steranko, Kane, Toth, Aparo, Kubert, Kaluta, etc.

These guys worked almost exclusively for DC, right?

You sure your question isn't biased from the get go?

The names I listed were the ones I saw other people listing in another thread as being one of their 3 favotire artists of the Adams era.

Hey, I always liked the Spidey art and artists. I just find the entire ASM colelcting frenzy has been driven by the popularity of the character and title, not by the artists who drew the book.

For example, an ASM #122 is a key because the Goblin gets killed. The price of that book is not driven by the artist.

But a Batman #232 by comparison is a key for 2 reasons, first because it is the first appearance of Ra's Al Ghul, secondly because it has Adams cover & art.

The collecting of Spidey books is much less driven by the artist than other titles that are collected.

(thumbs u

Ditto on the Frez, and don't forget the Voss covers on 261 and Web of #1 another "B artist" that gets plenty of kudos.

I have always preferred a good story over good art. To me the art compliments the story and not the other way around. Even if the art is the story (ie GI Joe 21 or other minimalist story's) the comic is still a story first with the art complimenting it.

It's why most CGI movies that suck still suck and good CGI movies have great stories where the quality effects compliment the story but aren't the only thing going.

It's also part of what we look for in the artists style. N Adams art in itself told a story of strong masculine heroic characters. Steranko art told a story of Pushing limits and expanding viewpoints. Wrightson dripped earthiness and dark dirt framed by beauties. Frazetta was explosive with anatomically perfect heroism.

Good stuff.

Vess.

Bagely to me 'caught' the innocence that Ditko captured in the ealiest days of Spidey. I thought he did Spidey really well, although not as technically great as other Spidey artists his stylized Spidey got across what it needed to. Ultimately the proof is in the pudding and Ultimate Spidey was a smashing success.

I agree. Bagley's not my favorite, but I think his stuff is pretty good. His USM run was much better than his ASM run, though.

OK, Spidey fans, retract your claws.

I am not putting the webhead artists like Ditko and Romita down.

But it occurs to me that when people talk about the greatest artists of the silver/bronze age in other threads (sparked by my Adams vs. Wrighton debate) that hardly anyone lists Spidey artists as their favorites.

I see names like Adams, Wrightson, Steranko, Kane, Toth, Aparo, Kubert, Kaluta, etc.

And then I think "yeah, but none of them ever drew the ASM title". At least not on any kind of regular basis (maybe a one shot here and there)

And yet Spidey and the ASM title have a huge following.

Why is this?

Yeah, some people loved Ditko, but not at the level of appreciation I see for these other artists that get discussed.

I think it speaks to the strength of the Spidey character that he became so popular DESPITE not having artists like Adams and Steranko drawing the ASM title.

One great thing Spidey always had though was Stan who crafted great characters and storylines in the first 10 years of Spidey's history.

is it because todays artists don't draw Spidey like my 7 year old could have drawn it?

I agree. Bagley's not my favorite, but I think his stuff is pretty good. His USM run was much better than his ASM run, though.

agree. on Amazing, he was aping Larsen aping McFarlane.

on USM, he was his own man; found his own form.

Could be worse. He could have been Saviuk aping Bagley....

spidey stories are character, not art, driven. in the 70s there were 3 monthly spidey titles not including marvel tales (reprints)! with that said, byrne did a few issues in the 70's and I liked those too.

with that said, years of horrible art could kill a title. look at the sal buscema "i don't care anymore" years on spectacular in the late 80s - 90s.** just atrocious, unreadable (unlookatable) stuff.

** Yes, I know, Sal did do some perfectly decent work in the 70s and into the 80s, but when he started mailing it in, it was terrible.

spidey stories are character, not art, driven. in the 70s there were 3 monthly spidey titles not including marvel tales (reprints)! with that said, byrne did a few issues in the 70's and I liked those too.

with that said, years of horrible art could kill a title. look at the sal buscema "i don't care anymore" years on spectacular in the late 80s - 90s.** just atrocious, unreadable (unlookatable) stuff.

** Yes, I know, Sal did do some perfectly decent work in the 70s and into the 80s, but when he started mailing it in, it was terrible.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Sal Buscema on Spec. was the Iron Man gauntlet challenge of Spider-Man nerddom. It was in place to see who truly loved Petey.

Every month, (for years and years and years), I'd go to pick up the new monthly, hoping he wasn't on it, and every month, (for years and years and years), I'd be disapointed.

I will say that I have come to appreciate his line work as an adult, but overall, meh.

Never understood why people liked Bagley. I thought his stuff was awful.

Bagley's ASM run material really is subpar for me, but his work on USM is actually really enjoyable, and he really puts his mark on the character. 2c

Ditto, that.

I liked Ron Frenz's run too, but always thought he was a bit of a Ditko clone. Put their work side by side and you can see the similarities.

Frenz is similar indeed. But a big favorite of mine. A clear "old skool" style. Even more evident nowadays.

Can't wait for my ASM #265 to get signed by him!!! :luhv:

Bagley's ASM run material really is subpar for me, but his work on USM is actually really enjoyable, and he really puts his mark on the character. 2c

Did you guys know he won a Marvel art contest from the Marvel Try-out Book and got into comics through that?

ASM stuff was earlier than USM. He had a lot to live up to (Marvel's flagship title) and was still a little wet behind the ears. He really spread his wings on USM, like it was his baby and he knocked one out of the park. Great stuff!

But it occurs to me that when people talk about the greatest artists of the silver/bronze age in other threads (sparked by my Adams vs. Wrighton debate) that hardly anyone lists Spidey artists as their favorites.

And then I think "yeah, but none of them ever drew the ASM title". At least not on any kind of regular basis (maybe a one shot here and there)

Why is this?

Yeah, some people loved Ditko, but not at the level of appreciation I see for these other artists that get discussed.

I think it speaks to the strength of the Spidey character that he became so popular DESPITE not having artists like Adams and Steranko drawing the ASM title.

One great thing Spidey always had though was Stan who crafted great characters and storylines in the first 10 years of Spidey's history.

is it because todays artists don't draw Spidey like my 7 year old could have drawn it?

If your 7 year old can draw as good or better than Ditko, then he has quite a bright future ahead of him. Congratulations.

These guys worked almost exclusively for DC, right?

You sure your question isn't biased from the get go?

Anyway, I would put the Amazing guys up against any great title, pound for pound.

Ditko

Romita

Andru

Kane

Romita Jr.

Frenz

Zeck

McFarlane

Larson

Bagley

sure, there's some guys in there that are considered B listers, but man, that's a nice roster.

Don Heck and John Buscema need to be inserted near Romita in that list. Don Heck did several issues over Romita's layouts, John Buscema did the same for a couple issues and then provided complete pencils for a string of issues. Jim Mooney's inks provided some art continuity during this time.

Did you guys know he won a Marvel art contest from the Marvel Try-out Book and got into comics through that?

I bought that book. :blahblah:

Needless to say, I am not drawing a paycheck working in the comic book industry these days :P

Why is this?

I and many others agree that Steve Ditko had as much (or more) to do with the crafting of the great storylines and characters as Stan Lee during Steve's tenure on ASM. Steve's plotting credits began at issue 25, though it's clear that he was providing the major plotlines before then, and Stan would even say so in his Bullpen Bulletins pages.

I don't know how anyone could consider Ross Andru to be a pedestrian Spidey artist. Andru's art was Spidey between 75 and 78 or thereabouts. As a matter of fact, when I think about Spidey in the abstract, my mind's eye sees Ross Andru's Spider-man. :sumo:

I consider Bagley to be the worst Spidey artist. Right above him is Andru. :sick:

How could they go from Ditko to Romita, then Romita to Kane, then Kane to Andru????? I think I just threw up in my mouth. :P

I can remember as a little kid, buying Amazing Spider-man and knowing that I'd find consistent art from Ross Andru in there. Some hammer him as a "journeyman", but I found his 70's work to be quite good and it was nice just knowing that you weren't going to be hijacked by Frank Robbins, Don Heck, Goerge Tuska, or 70's Kirby.

Well okay, when you put it that way yeah I'll take Andru over those guys.

ASM stuff was earlier than USM. He had a lot to live up to (Marvel's flagship title) and was still a little wet behind the ears. He really spread his wings on USM, like it was his baby and he knocked one out of the park. Great stuff!

I never read USM because I didn't care for the "let's update Spidey for a new generation" . Spidey, to me, was just fine and didn't need the Ultimate treatment. Yes, given the popularity of the title, I know I'm in the minority here.

If I can get a USM trade cheap I'll check out Bagley on that title.