• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An interesting question for you all. This should be fun.

66 posts in this topic

I would really love to meet Mike Grell someday and talk to him. Simply because through all my years of enjoying comics its been his art and characters that I loved the most. He has been the one true constant.

Good question, Resurrection

It would be tough to pick between my top 3 of Stan Lee, Bill Gaines and Julius Schwartz.

If I had to pick one - probably Stan Lee because of the characters and all of the artists/writers/editors that he has worked with over the years. I can't imagine anyone else would have better stories to tell.

Matt Baker.

There's so little information about what it was like for him as a black guy in the business. How did others in the bullpen treat him? What'd he do at lunch time? Simple 'daily-grind' questions and if segregation took it's toll (or not).

:golfclap:

I was thinking it would be nice to sit down With William Ekgren to ask him what drug inspired him to draw in the wonderfully unique way he did but that would be probably be a short conversation.

But I agree that a Baker interview would be so much better since his art portfolio is so much more accessible enjoyable to look at.

What did he do at lunch time?

Seems obvious that he probably studied his favourite art subject: women

Because of segregation we see white women primarily in his art because that seems to be what the business of comics in that era dictated.

I can only imagine that he drew black women were also the object of his art and it sure would be wonderful if there was that some would surface one day.

Perhaps his surviving family would know if more of his art that was not published exists

So I was just thinking a moment ago ( I know, shocking). And I figured I would share this with the boards.

If you could sit down with one comic creator (living or deceased) and have a conversation with them and they would (again hypothetically) answer any questions you had. Who would it be? And what would you ask them?

For me. Jack Kirby. I would love to know what it was like working in comics for so long, seeing how it advanced, projects he worked on, and the influence his work has had. I think it would be amazing if I could actually have a one on one conversation with him.

Kirby without question.

Kirby for me, too. I'd like to hear more about his childhood after reading Streetwise. Also, about working during the GA of comics.

So I was just thinking a moment ago ( I know, shocking). And I figured I would share this with the boards.

If you could sit down with one comic creator (living or deceased) and have a conversation with them and they would (again hypothetically) answer any questions you had. Who would it be? And what would you ask them?

For me. Jack Kirby. I would love to know what it was like working in comics for so long, seeing how it advanced, projects he worked on, and the influence his work has had. I think it would be amazing if I could actually have a one on one conversation with him.

Kirby without question.

Kirby for me, too. I'd like to hear more about his childhood after reading Streetwise. Also, about working during the GA of comics.

To me Kirby was just as if not more important that Stan Lee. Kirby did wonders with Stan the man and without him.

R.

Joe Quesada.

I'd want to ask him why he utterly destroyed all the characters that I loved for 30 years, and how he justified that destruction given the huge slump in sales figures.

Oh, and I'd also take the opportunity to give him a right good slapping. (thumbs u

Can we get him and Dan DiDio in the room together?

Bob Montana. I would probably just gush over how awesome it was that he took what can really be a mundane subject (average typical teenage boy, hooha) yet made it so wildly popular, and long lasting. I'd also like to know how he did it, for my own stories.

Joe Quesada.

I'd want to ask him why he utterly destroyed all the characters that I loved for 30 years, and how he justified that destruction given the huge slump in sales figures.

Oh, and I'd also take the opportunity to give him a right good slapping. (thumbs u

Changed my Mind! I want to be first in line behind Flaming telepath to Slap Joe Quesada!

He single handedly put me off Moderns!

That is precisely what he did with me. :(

Late '90s, early '00s, I was buying somewhere north of 100 books a month.

I haven't bought a single modern for over 5 years now. :cry:

WOW. Me too.

I would love to have a conversation with Carl Barks ... and Alex Raymond ... and Edgard Jacobs ... and Alex Toth ... and as far as artists alive: Stan Sakai, Len Starr, and Charles Vess.

Graham Ingels

And ask him about where he came up with all those wonderfully twisted scenes! Then maybe ask him for a commission sketch of Strawberry Shortcake! :roflmao:

I was gonna say Graham Ingels before I saw your post. Cool.

Wally Wood and Bill Everett, too.

After thinking about it again, I'm surprised no one has said Jerry Siegel and/or Joe Shuster.

"So, you created Superman. Tell me about that."

Kelley Jones.

I'd love to know what inspired his radical artwork, and to let him know how much I loved his Batman run. Did he know he drew the best Gotham City ever?

And why the can't I get his sig on one of my books? :mad:

I'd choose to sit down with Frazetta, and I'd only have one thing to say; make me a bunch of paintings, k?

I'd love to watch some of these artists draw, and I'd really love to take home the finished products, but that's about it. Spending time talking to an artist is like hiring a prostitute to help you move.

I'd love to watch some of these artists draw, and I'd really love to take home the finished products, but that's about it. Spending time talking to an artist is like hiring a prostitute to help you move.

lol So, comparing artists to prostitutes eh? You're not the first, and you certainly won't be the last.

Back on topic: It would be great to sit in a room with Harvey Kurtzman and Wil Elder.

It would also be nice to sit down with Dan DeCarlo and Jack Cole to ask them about their process. Those two guys could say more with one line than most people could with a thousand.

Steve Ditko and ask him two questions

What is the truth behind the creation of Spider-man?

Is it to late to reconcile with Stan Lee to do one last Spider-man story?

Steve Ditko and ask him two questions

What is the truth behind the creation of Spider-man?

Is it to late to reconcile with Stan Lee to do one last Spider-man story?

If you asked him to talk to Stan I would bet the gloves would be off.

I would like to have a conversation with John Byrne, I would like to tell him how much i enjoyed his x men run and ask him why he wont sign all my high grade bronze books! is he too good to do shows or what?

I would like to have dinner with Neil Gaiman and talk about all of his literary influences and his study of arcane mythologies. If I could only read one series of comics for the rest of my life, it would be his 75 issues of Sandman.