• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does seller's reputation sell the book or does the book sell itself?

145 posts in this topic

One thing that I've noticed here on the boards is that some sellers (I'd prefer to keep this nameless), sell a lot more quickly than others. This factors in things like variety and price. Does anyone else feel this is true? I think having a good rep on here is a very big plus in peddling your wares, but is it the end-all?

This question comes to mind because Mary Jo (newbie) has had her books up for a while now, and after a few sales (Iron Fist #14, etc.) it's like a ghost town over there. She asked if her prices were too high or her grading poor. I told her I think the biggest factor was that quite a few guys on here prefer books in high grade, and that most of her stuff is mid-grade at best. Then I began to think about threads I've seen with low to mid-grade stuff that sells right away.

So that leads me to the question; If two of the same books were posted on here with comparable grades and prices, would you buy from the veteran over the newbie simply due to rep, even if the newbie had a slightly better deal? Discuss....

Given two books of same grade and price, I'd buy over the veteran over a newbie without a doubt. The reason is a simple one: established reputation.

Unlike buying a book in person, we're sending funds with the hopes that the other person follows through with shipping the comics securely and timely as well as being certain the books are accurately graded. You can gain some assurance of this from established members because there is "customer base" of some sort with certain sellers who will vouch for these members' reliability in all of these areas.

Unfortunately, newer members/sellers have not established as many of these same qualities (at least on these boards) even if they are legitimately solid people. I know it's not necessarily the fairest, but I figured you'd prefer a more honest answer. I do agree we all start somewhere, and I have no problems giving a new member a chance. BUT as stated, given the choice between the two, I know where I lean.

Reputation and camaraderie play a role just like anywhere else. We're creatures of habit, and given the choice between the same item at the same price from someone we've done business with before, or a stranger, naturally you're going to go with the person with whom you already have an established relationship. Common sense rules.

As a rule I don't buy from

a) People that only post in the Marketplace (and the please-grade-my-book-for-me-so-I-can-sell-it forum)

b) Sellers that have just joined and have everything thing to prove.

c) People that commit douchebaggery in the other forums.

d) Sellers who "finetune" their scanners so colours appear more vivid or stress lines become hard to spot

e) People who are conveying a message that all their books would get a grade bump if pressed.

Sure I miss out on a lot, but I sleep very well at night.

I guess I won't be shipping anything to the Netherlands anytime soon. Can I keep my subscription to your youtube channel?

Of course reputation matters. Besides the fact that MaryJo is new, many people haven't forgotten your memorable threads, and may also be associating you with her, like in this thread.

Gee, look at that littlejohnson, you took the time out to supply a link and everything. How cute. Well, it seems with guys like you around, it never will die. Never mind the fact that I have done countless deals (both buying and selling) on here, all that went very well with both parties happy. It sure doesn't seem to matter to anyone on here when I have money to purchase what was said about me in the past. Curious. Oh well, guys like you and grinder are a dime a dozen on here I suppose.

Unfortunately for Mary, if that is true, it's just hurting her potential sales. I sure hope that's not the case. Instead of being such as a** and bringing stuff like that up, why not offer some advice to how she can sell more books!

I guess I won't be shipping anything to the Netherlands anytime soon. Can I keep my subscription to your youtube channel?

Yeah, I wouldn't ship to the Netherlands either...bunch of weirdo's.

Subscriptions always happily accepted and renewed (thumbs u

Sup, Belgian?

Sup, Belgian?

doh!

Sup, Belgian?

doh!

(shrug)

My bad. lol Haven't had my morning Red Bull yet.

Given two books of same grade and price, I'd buy over the veteran over a newbie without a doubt. The reason is a simple one: established reputation.

For me personally, and I think some others feel this way, it is less about veteran vs. newbie, and more about that forumite's general conduct and behavior on the boards. Anyone that I find to be reprehensible on a personal level (not naming any names, of course) will most certainly not get anything from me on a financial level.

Just my 2c

No offense intended but you are new to the forum and so is Mary so it's strange to me that you both know each other. I find it even weirder that you are the one posting this and not her. If you truly have nothing vested in her sales, why are you interested?

Now for the books themselves, they were never bagged and boarded. Most of them have spine rolls. I question the paper quality and smell factor. She has confessed to knowing nothing about comics but has no problem selling books with grades and at high prices. Hmmm. I would rather take my changes on ebay grading.

Not trying to start an argument but just stating how it looks to me.

My bad. lol Haven't had my morning Red Bull yet.

It's Gene who's Dutch (well Dutch wannabee actually) :grin:

Sup, Belgian?

doh!

(shrug)

Rubbernecking as usual ? :whistle:

more about that forumite's general conduct and behavior on the boards. Anyone that I find to be reprehensible on a personal level (not naming any names, of course) will most certainly not get anything from me on a financial level.

You have found a much more eloquent way to say "douchebaggery" (worship)

It's probably a combination of things. I haven't looked at her sales thread, but if you're selling low to mid-grade items, they better be at 50% off guide or better, or they're not going to move very quickly (if at all). If you're a new seller, you're going to have to either provide excellent prices or have references (or both).

I definitely take the seller's board rep into account when buying (and their likability, as others have already stated). I've bought from newbies occasionally though (and actually haven't been disappointed to date). But buying from guys like cd4ever or arex or nik or FT is a known quantity, and a no-brainer if they have something you like.

No offense intended but you are new to the forum and so is Mary so it's strange to me that you both know each other. I find it even weirder that you are the one posting this and not her. If you truly have nothing vested in her sales, why are you interested?

Now for the books themselves, they were never bagged and boarded. Most of them have spine rolls. I question the paper quality and smell factor. She has confessed to knowing nothing about comics but has no problem selling books with grades and at high prices. Hmmm. I would rather take my changes on ebay grading.

Not trying to start an argument but just stating how it looks to me.

Finally, some honest input minus the accusations! Thank you nocutename! See, I myself have worried about her association with me as a reason for her lack of sales. We don't "know" each other, but rather grew up in the same city SW of Chicago. (Oak Lawn). I am posting this because we PM each other on here nightly and I try to help her the best I can w/ her sales thread. (as have at least two others, from what she tells me) I am the one who told her that you guys arent likely to purchase without a grade (at least a guess) and an asking price. I have the 2009 Overstreet and have been giving her the guide value and telling her to go at least 25-30% less than guide, sometimes more. Why am I interested? Well, for helping her, she sent me a book for free, and also allowed me to purchase her husband's entire Star Wars Comics collection (1977 series) at a really good price. (All you remembering me when I first got on here will recall I do collect them) No "vested" interest per se, just nice to help someone out. (There I go again, helping, what an a** I am.) Anyway, she has been asking me why her sales are so slow, and I'm not able to give her a good answer. I see lots of guys on here selling at about 20-30% below guide, and figured that was a good deal. She has been posting certain books on the "spare a grade" thread to get an idea of how to grade and I even told her to undergrade to make sure customers are happy. Anyway, the thread was intended to get a feel for if it is a newbie stigma that has her with sparse sales or if it is her prices/grading/condition of books.

Anyway, that is that so do with it what you will. Honest input will be appreciated but attacks will be shunned and you may ruin my fragile ego even further. :D

Seriously though, does she really need to drop these books dirt cheap to move 'em? Some of those X-Men would make decent back up copies, and some of the books (like Byrne's first work for Marvel, some Wrightson House of Mystery and the first Miller Daredevils) have to be somewhat desireable?!?