• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So will Alex Ross be considered the next Neal Adams?

91 posts in this topic

hm

On a personal level, I hope so. Ross is in my Top 10 artists category. That being said, Adams' work was groundbreaking for his day. As talented as Alex Ross is, I can't see historians saying he left a mark in the comics industry. My 2c

I would say he is as close as you can come for this era. Actually though, Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane are in the line before Ross. Both were greatly unique in their hey-day and probably had a greater influence on art styles than anyone else in the last 20 years.

It would help if Ross would do a little more mainstream work and actually do some more books instead of just covers. I would love to see him do an extended run on a book like Avengers or Superman.

Although I like most of his work, there is still no possibility that any comic book artist post-1994 will ever be a part of the pop culture lexicon.

For that to happen, comics need to sell in mass market numbers, and primarily to kids, and create a whole new universe of fresh characters and concepts. Why do you think people remember and revere Siegel and Shuster, Stan Lee, Bob Kane, Steve Ditko, and Jack Kirby?

Right time, right place, right characters, right environment and it had virtually nothing to do with creative or artistic talent.

Alex Ross is only AMAZING at drawing covers. His work doesn't translate as well to panels for story telling. Plus. I don't think he has created any characters or anything significant along those lines. I think he is a great artist at what he does best, but whether his stuff is as groundbreaking as Neal Adams, I don't know.

Alex Ross is only AMAZING at drawing covers. His work doesn't translate as well to panels for story telling. Plus. I don't think he has created any characters or anything significant along those lines. I think he is a great artist at what he does best, but whether his stuff is as groundbreaking as Neal Adams, I don't know.

Yeah, if Ross would only create some masterpieces like Crazyman, ToyBoy, and Skateman, he could enter the Celestial Hierarchy of comic-book artists.

Jack

Doesn't Ross' work take a lot of time?

I mean he uses live models and it's paint. I don't know much about painting but isn't it more time consuming than sketching and drawing?

I mean he uses live models and it's paint. I don't know much about painting but isn't it more time consuming than sketching and drawing?

Good point. That might explain the "covers-only" niche he has attached himself to. I was collecting Project: Superpowers and Black Terror for a few issues, but I dropped them when I saw he only does the covers. :(

My choice would be someone like Jeff Smith, who is actually doing something new and innovative, rather than giving a new paint job to old and tired GA/SA creations.

I remember reading somewhere that it was the length of time each piece of art took that stopped Ross being able to work to a monthly timetable and fulfill his other obligations, but he certainly makes up for it with his covers.

I thought Justice was fantastic. One of the few moderns worth picking up and collecting IMO.

It would be interesting to see which artist's items would be in more demand 20 yrs out...

Ross or Sudyam, both painters and primarily cover artists.

As a collectible, however, I see Laird/Eastman stuff worth more in the long run as time and time again, what makes a collectible valuable is partially, adults longing to recapture that part of their youth that was pop culturally iconic.

It would be interesting to see which artist's items would be in more demand 20 yrs out...

Doubt it will ever be Jim Lee, it's hard to find a Hush book or an ASBR book that doesn't have his sig on :P

My choice would be someone like Jeff Smith, who is actually doing something new and innovative, rather than giving a new paint job to old and tired GA/SA creations.

Those Bone characters aren't updated versions of Shmoos?

I'm no big fan of the Bone series, but even I can shoot holes in that stupid comparison, all day long.

Those Bone characters aren't updated versions of Shmoos?

I'm no big fan of the Bone series, but even I can shoot holes in that stupid comparison, all day long.

Please do. I'd love to see you waste your time. (Hit a nerve, huh?)