• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So will Alex Ross be considered the next Neal Adams?

91 posts in this topic

Yeah but therein lies the problem. They pick up a book and the beautiful paintings are only on the cover...

Does Ross have any contemporaries like Adams had Wrightson?

Ross is not the only one providing painted interiors & covers to comic books. Off top of my head I can think of: Jon J. Muth, J.H. Williams III, John Bolton, Esad Ribic, ...

Love J.H. stuff (thumbs u

I like both Adams and Ross, but I'd much rather have an original early 70's Adams than any Ross. I do respect Ross' ability and think that a number of his covers are amazing, however I don't care for his interior work at all. I don't think he's much of a storyteller, and comics is a storytelling medium.

Yeah but therein lies the problem. They pick up a book and the beautiful paintings are only on the cover...

Ross has done fully painted books and it's gorgeous stuff, but as already noted, not the type of work he can keep up with in terms of a monthly schedule banging out 20 pages a month.

with that said, it's not like Adams did a monthly schedule for that many years either. if you do highly detailed work, i suspect it's grueling.

that was ALWAYS the Neal Adams problem too! I used to grab TOMAHAWK off the stands only to get home and struggle thru Frank Thorne's work on the inside.

But today, in a slab, all you see is the beautiful Adams covers. SO I think that yes, Ross' mainstream cover work is perfectly analogous to Adams cover work of the 70s.

BUT, Adams covers today are 35 years old and from a now highly collectible era. Can we say the same 35 years from now?

Alex Ross is an amazing artist and painter. His work on Kingdom Come and his cover art in general is head and shoulders above 99% of artists that come to mind. His work is just amazing and he has managed to make some of our favorite superheroes look like actual people instead of the standard comic images. The detail in his work, as wel as his originality make him one of the greatest comic artists of all time.

This is also all my own opinion.

It's my opinion, too. When I flip through Previews and see Ross' work, the artist who comes to mind is actually Norman Rockwell. I frankly believe that Ross has the chops to transcend the comics medium and make an impact in the wider world of illustration. As evidence of that, I would not only point to the material cited upthread by another poster, but also to the Superman-esque Obama image which Ross created which has the potential to be something iconic.

And as for the covers-only knock on Ross, my understanding - which is verrrry limited - is that Frazetta is FAR better known for his covers (not only on comics but on paperbacks, etc.) than for his interior panel-work. That hasn't seemed to hold him back . . .

Alex Ross is an amazing artist and painter. His work on Kingdom Come and his cover art in general is head and shoulders above 99% of artists that come to mind. His work is just amazing and he has managed to make some of our favorite superheroes look like actual people instead of the standard comic images. The detail in his work, as wel as his originality make him one of the greatest comic artists of all time.

It's my opinion, too. When I flip through Previews and see Ross' work, the artist who comes to mind is actually Norman Rockwell. I frankly believe that Ross has the chops to transcend the comics medium and make an impact in the wider world of illustration. As evidence of that, I would not only point to the material cited upthread by another poster, but also to the Superman-esque Obama image which Ross created which has the potential to be something iconic.

And as for the covers-only knock on Ross, my understanding - which is verrrry limited - is that Frazetta is FAR better known for his covers (not only on comics but on paperbacks, etc.) than for his interior panel-work. That hasn't seemed to hold him back . . .

All very good, well thought out points.

Why are you posting here, again?

:baiting:

Although I like most of his work, there is still no possibility that any comic book artist post-1994 will ever be a part of the pop culture lexicon.

Pretty sill comment there bub. I think your disdain for all things "modern" is skewing your thought process. "No possibility"? Really?

Sorry, but you ask 99% of the people out there wearing Spiderman and Captain America t-shirts who Stan Lee and Jack Kirby are and they'll have no idea. Alex Ross will be an icon and comic legend 30 years from now...

Ross does partial interiors on some books. The reason he doesnt really do full interiors is the time constraints. On a book like kingdom come it was no problem. Plotted out ahead of time, had enough time to do the interiors. On a month by month basis it would be impossible for him to keep up his quality of work in a limited amount of time.

Although I like most of his work, there is still no possibility that any comic book artist post-1994 will ever be a part of the pop culture lexicon.

Pretty sill comment there bub. I think your disdain for all things "modern" is skewing your thought process. "No possibility"? Really?

Sorry, but you ask 99% of the people out there wearing Spiderman and Captain America t-shirts who Stan Lee and Jack Kirby are and they'll have no idea. Alex Ross will be an icon and comic legend 30 years from now...

Just like Rob Liefeld, eh? :insane:

Seriously, though, I think JC is right. Look at the 'mega-star' artists of the late 80s/early 90s...Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Rob Liefeld, Whilce Portacio, Michael Golden...and tell me which one has become 'iconic' in the last twenty years?

Sure, a few of them are damned good artists...Lee and Golden especially...but to become another Neal Adams?

No chance. The fact is that there isn't much ground to break anymore...there's nothing new under the sun, I'm afraid...and without the opportunity to break down the boundaries, iconic status is beyond them all, Ross included.

Seriously, though, I think JC is right. Look at the 'mega-star' artists of the late 80s/early 90s...Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Rob Liefeld, Whilce Portacio, Michael Golden...and tell me which one has become 'iconic' in the last twenty years?

Sure, a few of them are damned good artists...Lee and Golden especially...but to become another Neal Adams?

No chance. The fact is that there isn't much ground to break anymore...there's nothing new under the sun, I'm afraid...and without the opportunity to break down the boundaries, iconic status is beyond them all, Ross included.

To me it would be easier to compare Alex Ross to someone like Mac Raboy.....Adams really has no peer....although Bill S. came close to corying his technique. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Liefeld is absolutely horrible. From your list Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane may become 'iconic' in then next 20-30 years. 30+ years from now, when I'm in my 60's I'll look back at McFarlane and think about how the 1st comic I purchased was Spawn #1. Me and millions of others. Much like some of the guys on here think about their GA and SA artists. I, personally, don't get the Neal Adams fever so maybe you can school me as well...

Liefeld is absolutely horrible. From your list Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane may become 'iconic' in then next 20-30 years. 30+ years from now, when I'm in my 60's I'll look back at McFarlane and think about how the 1st comic I purchased was Spawn #1. Me and millions of others. Much like some of the guys on here think about their GA and SA artists. I, personally, don't get the Neal Adams fever so maybe you can school me as well...

I dont understand how people distinguish mcfarlane from liefeld and early lee, they all look exactly the same. also larsen

:P

Excuse me for my ignorance, but did the earlier artist's like Jim Lee, McFarlene, Kirby, Steranko do painting covers? I would think that if Alex Ross was the first comic book person to do paintings for covers than in 20 years time those paintings will become extremely valuable just because of the uniqueness. And who knows, maybe he will branch out of comics like McFarlene did and make a name for himself in the fine art world.

Painted covers have been on comics throughout their existence... Alex Ross has a distinctive look, and is great at posed, iconic, static shots of heroes, but is by no means a future "legendary" artist... he has his fan base, and eventually they will all have every book he has ever done, and all they will have to jack the price on will be his original art... Take him for what he is worth, a decent artist in a world of cartoonists...

My vote goes to Timm and McFarlane. Good artists with notable contributions outside the medium.

Alex Ross is a very good artists but I do not think he could make an impact outside the comic world.

Alex Ross is the worst artist in the entire history of comics - worse than Rob Liefeld, worse than Vince Colletta, probably worse than anybody on this forum. I don't give a damn about his technique; the end results are static, pompous, pretentious beyond bearing, and aesthetically DEAD. In 30 years' time hopefully his work will be seen as the ludicrously awful kitsch it is, though I wouldn't be surprised if it still sells.

Alex Ross is the worst artist in the entire history of comics - worse than Rob Liefeld, worse than Vince Colletta, probably worse than anybody on this forum. I don't give a damn about his technique; the end results are static, pompous, pretentious beyond bearing, and aesthetically DEAD. In 30 years' time hopefully his work will be seen as the ludicrously awful kitsch it is, though I wouldn't be surprised if it still sells.

meh