• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Offers Multiple Tiers On-Site At Wizard World Philadelphia!

153 posts in this topic

I would have to agree those on-site prices are insulting and a joke.

No business from me.

$24 for onsite grading Moderns.

My god the grading costs will be worth more than the books. (shrug)

You're talking like this is somehow a new thing? (shrug)

I did about 20 on-site moderns at WW Chicago last year - as far as I remember, the price was $22-23/book, which, considering I didn't have to pay shipping to CGC, didn't have to wait 6 weeks for the books to be graded, and didn't have to pay the insane CGC return shipping cost, actually made it seem like a bargain.

I fail to see how these "on-site prices are insulting and a joke" when, like FD said, it's pretty much the same cost as sending books to CGC (and you don't have the wait-time).

100% can not figure how this is a bargain by your thinking.

By my calculation I would be pi ssing alot of money away just to save on time.

To each is own, but even with my better than average normal discount I cant wait.

No business from me.

On-site is cheaper than sending the books in, factoring in the shipping, not even mentioning the time.

When I submit 200 moderns I come out under $20 each with all expenses included.

Lots of collectors don't have dozens of books to grade or that they can afford to grade.

;)

noob question. is this on site grading or just drop off and they send back after the books are shipped back?

sorry, i should know better but i don't.

j :insane:

It's a "you drop it off on Friday and get it on Sunday" kind of thing.

No business from me.

On-site is cheaper than sending the books in, factoring in the shipping, not even mentioning the time.

That volume is where your savings is. I just did 12 moderns, total with everything was about $21 per book - having all of them back in eight hours as opposed to eight weeks is worth the extra three bucks per unit.

noob question. is this on site grading or just drop off and they send back after the books are shipped back?

Actually you can usually get your books back when you want because if they know you will here all weekend they will put your books to the back of the list for sunday.

However just say your there for Saturday only and you will get your books back that fast.

A couple of WW LA shows i was only there for SAT only, so you just have to get there at the beginning of the show and just tell them you are there for one day only and you will have your books back by like 5pm.

No business from me.

That volume is where your savings is. I just did 12 moderns, total with everything was about $21 per book - having all of them back in eight hours as opposed to eight weeks is worth the extra three bucks per unit.

I guess from my discounts and everything included I would be a fool to do any on-site grading past one or maybe 2 books max.

Actually you can usually get your books back when you want because if they know you will here all weekend they will put your books to the back of the list for sunday.

However just say your there for Saturday only and you will get your books back that fast.

A couple of WW LA shows i was only there for SAT only, so you just have to get there at the beginning of the show and just tell them you are there for one day only and you will have your books back by like 5pm.

It was a general response to a general question.

Haven't you ever heard the expression, "You only show enough peter to win the contest." (shrug)

Haven't you ever heard the expression, "You only show enough peter to win the contest." (shrug)

:hi:

...and no.

:roflmao:

John, I think sometimes CGC might be able to make a special exception in extenuating circumstances but you really can't advertise on behalf of CGC that they can do this.

Good advice from Watson. Now put your Peter away.

John, I think sometimes CGC might be able to make a special exception in extenuating circumstances but you really can't advertise on behalf of CGC that they can do this.

Just going from Personal Experience.

Plus if CGC doesnt have your books graded in hand from submissions you gave them for Friday to Sunday Morning then whats the point of on-site grading and paying the extra fees.

DRAT! MY STRATEGY HAS BEEN REVEALED! :frustrated:

No business from me.

You're talking like this is somehow a new thing? (shrug)

I did about 20 on-site moderns at WW Chicago last year - as far as I remember, the price was $22-23/book, which, considering I didn't have to pay shipping to CGC, didn't have to wait 6 weeks for the books to be graded, and didn't have to pay the insane CGC return shipping cost, actually made it seem like a bargain.

I fail to see how these "on-site prices are insulting and a joke" when, like FD said, it's pretty much the same cost as sending books to CGC (and you don't have the wait-time).

100% can not figure how this is a bargain by your thinking.

By my calculation I would be pi ssing alot of money away just to save on time.

To each is own, but even with my better than average normal discount I cant wait.

I also just thought of those submission you gave at WW Chicago how many of them where in the old Modern tier (75-79) and now would cost you a boat load more.

I mean I am not telling anyone here not to have fun on-siting grading because I love it as well.

For me the cost now out-weighs the enjoyment for me IMO.

Plus if CGC doesnt have your books graded in hand from submissions you gave them for Friday to Sunday Morning then whats the point of on-site grading and paying the extra fees.

Well, CGC tries to get them to you withing the same weekend but obviously it's first come, first served. If you sub your books Friday morning you will likely get them back earlier than someone who submits them Saturday morning. Right?

If you sub your books late you get them back late.

I'll let CGC answer questions about books that for somereason do not get done by Sunday.

R.

Think of the collector buying a "big book" raw at the con who wants the convenience of a resto check or slabbing the book but he is worried about shipping the book in the mail?

I can see a lot of collectors using this service on a small number of larger books.

Again, I understand it's expensive for moderns but hey, that's the rule change.

Wonder how prices for sales of moderns will be affected by the new structure?

It would be nice if at least two of you guys could show up at Heroes. (shrug)

Preferably Ali and whomever. :shy:

Yeah, I don't really care about all the pricing and whining about same. I just wanted to reiterate this.

Well, CGC tries to get them to you withing the same weekend but obviously it's first come, first served. If you sub your books Friday morning you will likely get them back earlier than someone who submits them Saturday morning. Right?

If you sub your books late you get them back late.

I'll let CGC answer questions about books that for somereason do not get done by Sunday.

R.

The answer will be an unhappy customer. lol

I mean I can't blame them for books submitted in the afternoon on sunday because as a business I can see that is cutting it close.

However CGC will def need to be honest with the customer and telll them if its worth the customer's time to even submit it then.

For me if I am paying those high fees I want to leave with the books in hand or its 100% not worth it, but I never submit on Sunday for that reason anyway.

Think of the collector buying a "big book" raw at the con who wants the convenience of a resto check or slabbing the book but he is worried about shipping the book in the mail?

I can see a lot of collectors using this service on a small number of larger books.

Again, I understand it's expensive for moderns but hey, that's the rule change.

Wonder how prices for sales of moderns will be affected by the new structure?

Correct.

On big money books it still may per worth it, but a bulk submission would be very costly.

I am done commenting on this thread as I think I have posted enough.

I still :luhv: CGC.

Late,

John

I have a very small handful of GA books I will submit on friday as now I dont have to sweat shipping them. $45.00 and no waiting seems like a deal to get a few of them graded.

The ones over $300.00 arent worth it for me though. It sucks the cutoff isnt $500.00 instead of $300.00. I hate random numbers.