• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone looking forward to Star Trek??

129 posts in this topic

I think Star Trek may stay number 1 for two weeks in a row, since nothing spectacular comes out next weekend.

Well, there is the sequel to The DaVinci Code, which brought in $758,000,000.

Oh yea, I almost forgot about that movie. I had a customer yell at me because we had the movie guides for Angels and Demons in religion. By accident. lol

Also, I've never ever seen Titanic.

A girl your age that's never seen Titanic... :o

When it came out I was in 7th grade, and had no interest in seeing it. I was too busy trying to read my Japanese Sailor Moon comics and playing video games for that b/s!

I just...never had the desire, and still don't, to sit down and watch it. When it came out I thought it was dumb (since we all know how it ends.) and I still think it's dumb!

I've never seen Titanic either. I've seen the Oscar clips etc and heard Celine Dion sing that song so much I've wanted to :pullhair:

I've also wished that in that one scene where they are standing on the front of the ship that they would hit that iceberg dead on right at that moment.

rantrant RANT ALERT rantrant

*************Spoiler Alert*********** Explicit Details of film Ahead.

-------------------------------------

Great casting; I agree with that. They did a good job of emulating their counterparts.

The problems I have are more -script oriented.

Ok, So call me the lone dissenter. But, I went in with the highest of expectations, due to the board and huge amount of positive feedback across the internet. Yet, I am sorry to say, I just didn't personally share in the enthusiasm. Although I am no huge trekkie, I have watched enough to have a small set of continuity rules and basic character MOs ingrained into my psyche.

Everyone will say it was a retcon/reboot, which in some cases works (smallville for ex)

for a new generation. However, there were just way too many central trek concepts that were rebooted and torn asunder in this feature. For example, let's begin with Spock. So here is one of the most iconic super-star characters of the entire franchise, who is indubitably defined by one main trait: logic. Remember that character that took years to comprehend the meaning of friendship? The same older spock, whom when quized by a computer, seamlessly answered every single mathematical question posited, until stumped by one question, "how do you feel?" So setback that he had to reply, "I do not understand." We then

fast forward years before to his past, where the reboot spock has a completely contradictary character. Consider that even with the reboot circumstances, his genotype (blueprint) and majority of environmental upbringing circumstances were identical. Yet, the same character, so staunchly defined by his logical side for years, now, at a much younger age, was argumentatively in love with.... Uhura? Even pleading with the young captain to let her know his feelings for her, in case anything should happen on his solo mission.

It is akin to imagining a reboot of STNG, titled, "Data, the early years." The story begins where we zoom in to a very newly minted 1st generation version of data, where he is doing stand up comedy in front of a crowd of viewers. Dismayed by his blatant disregard for political views and racist comments, they start to throw objects at him.

Young Data, hit by one of the bottles , yelps in pain, starts to cry and runs out of the room in shame. See the analogy?

That was just one of the many problems I had coming to terms with. The whole feel of this fantasy time travel, just had left me with some of the same perplexity I felt watching Generations-- where kirk died in reality, then went to some fantasy nexus rift, where he met picard from another timeline, and somehow they collaborated together to defeat a villain, before picard returned to reality-- say what?

That being said, I won't go too much farther on the details that let me down. I am truly glad most enjoyed it and even that they made it FWIW. Even if the retcon and storyline wasn't the best it could be, I am happy that it will resonate with a new generation, and likely bring back more trek. I was also happy to see the old spock integrated into the storyline. But to say it was above the titanic, or even in the same plane, is just absurd. :foryou:

Awesome movie. I've only been to a few movies where people applauded at the end. This was one of them.

:applause:

Same thing happened at my theater last night. Such a great time.

I think only one or 2 applauded in our theatre... I got to see it earlier in the week because a customer of mine works at the theatre, so I got an "invite"... but, overall, great little movie, for what it is (thumbs u

Spock is 1/2 human. He frequently struggled with this conflict in the originals. This conflict creates drama. Movies are meant to be dramatic. Drama entertains. Nothing is more dramatic than love (& sex certainly entertains). To have a young Spock in heat (okay, pon far) makes sense on all levels.

Duality is one of the oldest, most basic, & fundamental of literary motiffs. It is one of my personal favorites too.

I still haven't seen this movie but I'm defending this Uhura stuff.

Poor Nurse Chapel.