• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone have some examples of CGC's that have missing storyline?

19 posts in this topic

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone had some scans of CGC books that have missing storyline but recieved a grade higher than .5 The higher the grade the better as I am trying to learn Grading and this is one of the last few details I need .

You're referring to the "affects storyline" note on the label, I presume.

I'd think this would be a classic use of the green (Qualified) Label, which I am on record as saying is teh suck;

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=16054&Lot_No=16269&src=pr

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=19044&Lot_No=14410&src=pr

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=18114&Lot_No=14356&src=pr

many more examples if you search Heritage's archives with the keyword "incomplete." All the ones I looked at, which isn't a lot since it seemed redundant, had green labels. The raw books were almost universally given the PR (.5) grade

I've never seen a CGC blue label book given higher than 1.8 GD- with affects story line comment. I guess that CGC believes that a book lower than GD won't be affected by some missing story lines.

Based on Green label sales a decent looking book (7.0 - 8.5) with a page out affecting story would sell at comparable rates to 3.0 - 4.0 Blue labels.

Here is a CGC blue label 1.5 with piece out affecting story. Looks like the piece out had no effect on the grade at all.

6.jpg

6b.jpg

6c.jpg

So do most people consider a green label 8.0 and blue 4.0 equals or do people Prefer one over the other? Great examples so far.

I think you'll find that most people definitely do not consider a green to be the equivalent of a blue no matter what the grades for each coloured label.

To make a broad based comparison with Green and Blue labels is just not possible.

A VG might be given for a subscription crease, a small piece out, excessive writing, or a variety of other reasons. Some people cannot stand certain flaws that just don't seem to bother others. This also applies even moreso to Green labels. A Green label 9.6 with 3 binder holes or 2 centerfolds out is not equivalent to a Green label 4.0 with cleaned staples. To say that nobody would choose a Green label over a Blue one is just to broad a statement.

Here is an example of what some people would consider a very difficult decision:

9.6 Green with centerfold detached or 6.5 Blue

7.jpg

7b.jpg

And if the Blue label was a 4.0 where detached centerfolds are permissible the choice would be very easy!

I think I got it now. So what I am still wondering is if I am trying to grade a book that has 1 missing page but is otherwise in Fn condition would I give it a 1.8 or I have seen some people give it a 4.0 or do I give it a qualified 6.0 ?

As one who definitely hates the green label, I'd advise selling it as "incomplete" but without a numerical grade. I've seen sellers here and elsewhere suggest a grade were the book complete, as in "book would be a VF if the missing page were present." Subtle distinctions, to be sure.

Large scans, front and back.

As one who definitely hates the green label, I'd advise selling it as "incomplete" but without a numerical grade. I've seen sellers here and elsewhere suggest a grade were the book complete, as in "book would be a VF if the missing page were present." Subtle distinctions, to be sure.

Large scans, front and back.

That pretty much sums it up (thumbs u

A 6.0 with missing page affecting story would be comparable to a 3.0 at best. This being said, I would be really mad if someone were to sell me a book labeled 3.0 with undisclosed missing page. In fact, I would not buy a 1.0 with an undisclosed missing page.

The comparison being made between Green and Blue label grades is solely for potential sales prices that can be realized when the right buyer comes along. You should never try to give more than a PR to a comic without disclosing that it is incomplete.

I think I like your analogy best George. I think it should always be disclosed and I'm going to treat it like a huge defect and give it 3.0 when otherwise would be a 6.0 if 1 page is missing and if more than .5 . There are 2 reasons to be honest why I'm working these details out. One is I am considering selling a few with missing pages and the other is I am trying to evaluate comic candidates (my stuff) for restore and want to consider its current grade properly and weather repairing makes sense to do . I made the mistake assuming a book missing a piece of a page would make it a .5 and now I don’t think so. That was the reason I started on that hulk 181 is because it was missing the marvel stamp and bullpen story and I figured it had nothing to lose at a .5 which I now see deserved a better grade than that. I have learned my lesson and learned it good trust me and I appreciate you all's help :) I watch everyone who grades on forums and think I learned more that way then reading the Overstreet Grading guide and hope to become an expert grader real soon. I noticed that Boozad and I seem to come up with the same or similar grades over in the grade me thread So that tells me I’m on track as he seems to know a lot.

I have learned my lesson and learned it good trust me and I appreciate you all's help :) I watch everyone who grades on forums and think I learned more that way then reading the Overstreet Grading guide and hope to become an expert grader real soon. I noticed that Boozad and I seem to come up with the same or similar grades over in the grade me thread So that tells me I’m on track as he seems to know a lot.

Good to see you've taken people's advice on board. Now you're doing that you'll find a world of help on here. More power to you (thumbs u

It may take a while to hit grades consistently but just keep plugging away. There are much tighter graders around here than me too, just not many of them post in the PGM section. Thanks for the compliment though!

Can anyone help me out with current "theory" on the grade docking CGC gives incomplete books with missing pages when a blue label is used?

Saw this book today, and thought it qualified as an example for this thread.

Cap50incomplete.jpg

Can anyone help me out with current "theory" on the grade docking CGC gives incomplete books with missing pages when a blue label is used?

Cap50incomplete.jpg

What a poor decision to grade a book like that.

Cap50incomplete.jpg

Only thing i can tell you is the book was just graded 5/27/10,and that 3.5 Blue is baffling...i think it should have been a GREEN Q label 3.5,and got the wrong color label,it happens. (shrug)

One thing tho,looking at Hulk 181,which has a lot of Q's due to the marvel stamp,there are both 3.5's in Blue and Green..both stating Incomplete..so it obviously isn't the first 3.5 Incomplete to get a Blue CGC grade.

"Blue" ( 3.5 ) Incomplete - - (1) $202 (1) $202 $202 Jun-2010

"Green" Q ( 3.5 ) Incomplete $200 Aug-2006

Only thing i can tell you is the book was just graded 5/27/10,and that 3.5 Blue is baffling...i think it should have been a GREEN Q label 3.5,and got the wrong color label,it happens. (shrug)

+1, probably a mistake.

Cap50incomplete.jpg

One thing tho,looking at Hulk 181,which has a lot of Q's due to the marvel stamp,there are both 3.5's in Blue and Green..both stating Incomplete..so it obviously isn't the first 3.5 Incomplete to get a Blue CGC grade.

"Blue" ( 3.5 ) Incomplete - - (1) $202 (1) $202 $202 Jun-2010

"Green" Q ( 3.5 ) Incomplete $200 Aug-2006

Appears to have just been a mistake. I called for grading notes today and CGC now has this cert # listed as a Qualified 3.5.