• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just watched Star Trek... very long, detailed critique follows...

81 posts in this topic

Eye candy CGI ... AWESOME

Music ... AWESOME

Actors/casting... AWESOME

Battle scenes... AWESOME

Spock 1/Spock 2... AWESOME

Phaser battle... AWESOME

Big frigin' bad-dude Romulan ship... AWESOME

Space/Time continuum storyline... AWESOME (but my head hurts... no seriously, it hurts!)

"So, should I go see it?"... AWESOME

"So, that's a yes?"... AWESOME

"I think your hair is on fire!"... AWESOME

"...damn fan-boy..." ............ AWESOME!!!

This is a great sign as they were banking on JJ Abrams to turn around the franchise.

National Public Radio did a review the other day and said it was a "good movie," which surprised me they didn't give it a stronger rating. But when they stated this is the eleventh movie (is that right?), I was surprised.

I hope most are overjoyed with this film so they can then lead into the meeting with the Klingons.

Eye candy CGI ... AWESOME

Music ... AWESOME

Actors/casting... AWESOME

Battle scenes... AWESOME

Spock 1/Spock 2... AWESOME

Phaser battle... AWESOME

Big frigin' bad-dude Romulan ship... AWESOME

Space/Time continuum storyline... AWESOME (but my head hurts... no seriously, it hurts!)

"So, should I go see it?"... AWESOME

"So, that's a yes?"... AWESOME

"I think your hair is on fire!"... AWESOME

"...damn fan-boy..." ............ AWESOME!!!

The "shot from a gun" way the ships jump into warp....AWESOME!!!

Kirk's Origin = AWESOME

The way we think of Kirk, is pretty much due to the way Shatner developed the character in the original series. I've always been a fan of William Shatner and of his Captain Kirk. What made the movie for me was the same thing that made the series for me, the relationship between Kirk, Spock and Bones as well as the supporting color of Scotty and Checkov, Sulu and Uhuru. I was especially pleased to see Karl Urban's homage to DeForest Kelly's McCoy. There seems to be a reservoir of good will toward that Character.

Kirk's Origin = AWESOME

The way we think of Kirk, is pretty much due to the way Shatner developed the character in the original series. I've always been a fan of William Shatner and of his Captain Kirk. What made the movie for me was the same thing that made the series for me, the relationship between Kirk, Spock and Bones as well as the supporting color of Scotty and Checkov, Sulu and Uhuru. I was especially pleased to see Karl Urban's homage to DeForest Kelly's McCoy. There seems to be a reservoir of good will toward that Character.

Many times it's difficult to keep a character consistent, even over the course of a long running TV series. I think they did a great job of transferring the character traits over to these new actors.

One of my problems with the movie was that it wasn't quite cerebral enough for a Star Trek movie.

Example: The giant "space ship drill".

Was there an intended practical use for that, or was that really their best technology in planet destruction? lol

One of my problems with the movie was that it wasn't quite cerebral enough for a Star Trek movie.

Was there an intended practical use for that, or was that really their best technology in planet destruction?

They were Romulan miners and Spock gave them the Red Matter... ;)

Was there an intended practical use for that, or was that really their best technology in planet destruction?

doh!

Ok. Tried to expand a bit on my "red matter" storage critique, and failed miserably.

lol

doh!

Ok. Tried to expand a bit on my "red matter" storage critique, and failed miserably.

lol

I may be wrong in my critique of your critique... hm

doh!

lol

I may be wrong in my critique of your critique... hm

To reach that conclusion, would simply be, illogical.

Kirk's Origin = AWESOME

Many times it's difficult to keep a character consistent, even over the course of a long running TV series. I think they did a great job of transferring the character traits over to these new actors.

Was there an intended practical use for that, or was that really their best technology in planet destruction? lol

Nero said his ship was a mining vessel before his planet was destroyed. It was being "repurposed". (thumbs u