• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If Your Collection Went Up in Smoke...

61 posts in this topic

I'm covered on my contents insurance for one item of collectibles (my comics are listed) for up to £10,000 (around $14,500). That would probably just cover it at the moment. As soon as I need it extending into a seperate policy I'll be on the phone quicker than Barry Allen.

Isnt Barry Allen dead?

My most prized collectibles are my original art, books I had signed by creators and some very, very one-off books (Canadian Golden-age, for example).

So, I probably couldn't rebuild. I'm almost done a complete set of Uncle Scrooge - so maybe I'd just do that one set and call it a day.

I'm a reader, so I'd still buy new material and reprints as they were released.

I'd probably would be happy about losing all of the modern stuff that I'm holding onto for God knows what reason. From there I'd go back to rebuilding. As long as no one is hurt, heck they are just books, not like the Dead Sea Scrolls were destroyed.

I'd probably would be happy about losing all of the modern stuff that I'm holding onto for God knows what reason. From there I'd go back to rebuilding. As long as no one is hurt, heck they are just books, not like the Dead Sea Scrolls were destroyed.

So you are saying I should not keep this in the house? hm

scroll.jpg

:jokealert:

I'm covered on my contents insurance for one item of collectibles (my comics are listed) for up to £10,000 (around $14,500). That would probably just cover it at the moment. As soon as I need it extending into a seperate policy I'll be on the phone quicker than Barry Allen.

Isnt Barry Allen dead?

Isn't Batman?

Isnt Barry Allen dead?

Isn't Batman?

Is he?I dont read moderns :baiting:

By the way my name is Dennis

No that is too upsetting..I'd read them and throw them away after that...

Who was the boardie that had his stepdad threw his entire collection away at the public dump when he was a teen..begining of the FF series and ASM...that was a horrible story, I never forgot it..horrible

Isnt Barry Allen dead?

Isn't Batman?

Is he?I dont read moderns :baiting:

By the way my name is Dennis

Good to meet you Dennis (thumbs u

I read the moderns as a principle of collecting them. Morrison nearly put me off but I've got more staying power than him (thumbs u

I would take my insurance money and buy high grade copies of my favorite key issues. I have plenty of coverage plus my CGC books are all scanned and listed in an Excel spreadsheet, stored at home and at work. I would replace what I lost with higher quality and fewer books. I would enjoy the thrill of the hunt again!

hm

I would take my insurance money and buy high grade copies of my favorite key issues. I have plenty of coverage plus my CGC books are all scanned and listed in an Excel spreadsheet, stored at home and at work. I would replace what I lost with higher quality and fewer books. I would enjoy the thrill of the hunt again!

hm

AMEN! :applause:

Wow.

This thread really hits home! I've been faced with just such a situation the past few days. I live in Santa Barbara, CA and have had to evacuate twice from two different locations. At one point 30% of the entire city had fallen under mandatory evacuation.

After pictures and family mementos, comics were the next on my list to save. I grabbed 6 long boxes of the good stuff and had to leave more modern stuff behind. Luckily the fire has mellowed in the last day and the sundowner winds that were killing us finally backed off. A marine layer and some onshore winds helped a lot last night and this morning.

If I would have lost them I would be awful but my family, friends and myself all are OK and that is what really matters in the long run.