• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If Your Collection Went Up in Smoke...

61 posts in this topic

I must be pretty paranoid because I often worry about my collection getting damaged through fire, getting stolen or the like. Then I start thinking about how I would go about buying books again if the worst came to the worst and I had to claim on my insurance for any reason.

Would I bother replacing all the modern variants or replace my SA/BA and extend on them? Would I bother with raws or go solely for slabs? Hit a major key? Get a nice SS run together? And so on and so on. And the answer is I don't know :eek:

I know it will probably never happen, but if I did end up with that much cash in my pocket to replace a collection I think I would blow out without even thinking about where I wanted to go, then regret where I'd ended up.

So, although 99% hypothetical, how would you go about it if it happened to you?

I'd kill people :sumo:

That's a given. But would it be a beer or a single malt straight after the massacre?

Insurance? :sick:

I would buy more expensive books. More quality and less quantity.

That's what I keep thinking then arguing with myself about it.

Your home owner's contents insurance may only cover you for the 1st $5k of collectibles unless you are paying a significant premium each year for extra collectibles coverage. If your collection is worth $100k and you have a master list with grades, Ostreet values, and videotape of all your hi-valued comics or OA, you may be able to get a portion back as cash.

You won't get rich due to long boxes of $1 comics going up in flames or flood. You will cry. :cry:

I'm covered on my contents insurance for one item of collectibles (my comics are listed) for up to £10,000 (around $14,500). That would probably just cover it at the moment. As soon as I need it extending into a seperate policy I'll be on the phone quicker than Barry Allen.

My first collection did go up in smoke (well more in flames) I made a post about it years ago. It wasn't comics, it was my record collection...lost over 7000 record albums and CD.

It happened 9 years ago and I haven't bought a single CD or record since.

Well, I'd be sad, of course, perhaps angry, and then hopefully, calm. The bottom line is, these are just "things", material possessions that are only with us for a short period of time anyway. Once we put things in perspective and realize that there are so many more important things in life than stuff, then the better off we'll be.

If I lost my legs in a fire or family members, then we would be talking important.

Andy

My first collection did go up in smoke (well more in flames) I made a post about it years ago. It wasn't comics, it was my record collection...lost over 7000 record albums and CD.

:sorry::cry: loosing all that vinyl

I can't even look at an online picture of a Beatles Butchers album anymore :cry:

Lots of original Elvis 45's... All Sex Pistols 45's in pristine condition etc...

Japanse pressing, complete collection of Iron Maiden picture discs etc etc etc

I can't even look at an online picture of a Beatles Butchers album anymore :cry:

Lots of original Elvis 45's... All Sex Pistols 45's in pristine condition etc...

Im scared to ask...James Brown ?

Your home owner's contents insurance may only cover you for the 1st $5k of collectibles

Then I'm ahead of the game at the moment. Sad, but true. Had to put a kid through grad school, and the grand-daughter thought going to disneyland was a once in a lifetime event that I should pony up for. My colection is beginning to grow again though, so a little more thought about the insurance will be in the short term to do list.

To answer the question though, I think I might be a little mor circumspect in my collecting habits, staying on track to finish runs of raw silver age, and high grade bronze, but I'm sure I'd fall back into my habit of buying anything I think I got a deal on, or looked shiny when I had money in my pocket.

Im scared to ask...James Brown ?

No 45's but at least 5 or 6 early 70's 33's

:( sounds like you had awesome collection :foryou: I started collectin vinyl a few years ago but stopped. All i ended up with was all the lynard skynards, sublime (the photo LEs) , and few ouktkast albums (shrug)

I'd kill people :sumo:

That's a given. But would it be a beer or a single malt straight after the massacre?

A fine Kentucky bourbon whiskey for me.

(thumbs u

Seriously, I'd probably focus all attention on getting my Uncanny run complete before anything else, in this situation.

-slym

:( sounds like you had awesome collection :foryou: I started collectin vinyl a few years ago but stopped. All i ended up with was all the lynard skynards, sublime (the photo LEs) , and few ouktkast albums (shrug)

Well I started when I was 7 or 8 and collected for almost 25 years... But I could never start again, so I switched and started collecting comics in 2002

I must be pretty paranoid because I often worry about my collection getting damaged through fire, getting stolen or the like. Then I start thinking about how I would go about buying books again if the worst came to the worst and I had to claim on my insurance for any reason.

Would I bother replacing all the modern variants or replace my SA/BA and extend on them? Would I bother with raws or go solely for slabs? Hit a major key? Get a nice SS run together? And so on and so on. And the answer is I don't know :eek:

I know it will probably never happen, but if I did end up with that much cash in my pocket to replace a collection I think I would blow out without even thinking about where I wanted to go, then regret where I'd ended up.

So, although 99% hypothetical, how would you go about it if it happened to you?

I would switch my focus to Ditko,classic covers,and ped books.There wouldnt be very many superhero books in my collection.