• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RANT: Just read USM #8

34 posts in this topic

Really, I just wanted to see if anyone else cares about WRITING anymore.

Actually I do; just not to the certain degree as more nitpicky types I guess confused-smiley-013.gif

You want bad art - check out David Mack's work on the current Daredevil title for the past 3 or 4 issues; some think it's even worse than Maleev

Don't be bagging on Mack's art, friend...I'm one of those who's truly astonished by how GOOD it is. Bagley's art is shoddy, but I like USM a lot (for the stories). Mack's the other way around: I'm not a fan of his stories, but his art is museum-quality.

'Course, I also love Maleev.

yes... why do we keep buying books on wednesdays...? oh, that's right, I've stopped buying books every wednesday because I've lost interest in 99% of all comic book stories...

the pictures are pretty though.

So, why are you here, FK? (No offense, this is a serious question that will hopefully give me some insight into my OWN presence here. harharhar)

"...despite the 2 typo's..."

Well, VM, now you know why Darth is so staunch a defender of this drivel. thumbsup2.gif

I'm glad YOU caught my Pov-esque slippage wink.gif

And you are right to the point that I don't consider comic book writing "up there" in order for me to strictly apply all known rules of grammar to it. I'm reclined to let it pass in my leisure time reading. Now, daily business writing is totally another arena where the proper use of grammar and vocabulary reflects on the character of the individual behind the email/correspondence. Seeing typos in my trade paperback/graphic novels irks me a bit yet still doesn't rank high enough for me to fire off a letter to the masses calling for the staff's heads and condemning the whole operation. I know I'm guilty of not spell checking or using proper punctuation in all of my posts confused-smiley-013.gif...time and a place for everything...

I remember a popular misconception while I was growing up about comic books is that they are detrimental for use as reading tools due to improper English, spelling and a flagrant disregard for the rules of grammar, so the teachers would never advocate their use in a classroom... maybe Valiantman has a point after all?

Actually I do; just not to the certain degree as more nitpicky types I guess confused-smiley-013.gif

You want bad art - check out David Mack's work on the current Daredevil title for the past 3 or 4 issues; some think it's even worse than Maleev

Don't be bagging on Mack's art, friend...I'm one of those who's truly astonished by how GOOD it is. Bagley's art is shoddy, but I like USM a lot (for the stories). Mack's the other way around: I'm not a fan of his stories, but his art is museum-quality.

I knew you would come in here based on that sole comment, you Kabuki closet fan smile.gif ... I thought it was the Native American theme you were digging all along?

"...despite the 2 typo's..."

Well, VM, now you know why Darth is so staunch a defender of this drivel. thumbsup2.gif

I'm glad YOU caught my Pov-esque slippage wink.gif

And you are right to the point that I don't consider comic book writing "up there" in order for me to strictly apply all known rules of grammar to it. I'm reclined to let it pass in my leisure time reading. Now, daily business writing is totally another arena where the proper use of grammar and vocabulary reflects on the character of the individual behind the email/correspondence. Seeing typos in my trade paperback/graphic novels irks me a bit yet still doesn't rank high enough for me to fire off a letter to the masses calling for the staff's heads and condemning the whole operation. I know I'm guilty of not spell checking or using proper punctuation in all of my posts confused-smiley-013.gif...time and a place for everything...

I remember a popular misconception while I was growing up about comic books is that they are detrimental for use as reading tools due to improper English, spelling and a flagrant disregard for the rules of grammar, so the teachers would never advocate their use in a classroom... maybe Valiantman has a point after all?

I think you both make valid points here, and it's good that I actually RESPECT the two of you both on a "collector" level AND as intelligent humanoid lifeforms. Otherwise, I might find myself compelled to send a mail bomb to Marvel Comics and rid us all of the miseducational menace. I don't know why that would be the case, but it would certainly seem like the thing to do at the time.

In a way, I think you're missing the point. There should be few errors in a professional monthly publication. Sure, you could come up with error examples from other publications but comics are far and away the most grievous offenders. For $3 a pop, I expect at least the same professionalism and care other monthly publications seem to exhibit.

It has nothing to do with the story.....I agree that USM is a good read. And USM is not the worst example of editorial failing. But for a title supposedly aimed at teens, I expect them to at least get their P's & Q's correct.

If comics are ever going to be taken seriously, they need to clean up their houses and get a quality, error-free product out to market.

Jim

I'm with Valiantman. Errors like "want's" and "item's" are computer induced laziness. Spellcheck won't catch "item's" if it's not set to check grammer, and "want's" looks like a thesaurus search-and-replace. Perfect examples of things editors should catch.

Errors like that turn up in newspapers and novels all the time. Truth is, publishers are just plain lazy. They know that readers have a certain tolerance for error, so why pay an extra pair of eyes to proofread more closely? Such laziness should not be tolerated and should not be overlooked.

Errors like that turn up in newspapers and novels all the time.

Not with the frequency that they show up in comics. I can tolerate and understand a novel having some errors. When you are publishing 100,000 or more words, basic human error will account for some slips. A comic on the otherhand has what? At most 1500 words? An editor has 22 four-color pages with words to check. If they can't get this limited amount right, then they have no business editing a school newspaper much less a supposedly professional magazine....

Jim

I knew you would come in here based on that sole comment, you Kabuki closet fan smile.gif ... I thought it was the Native American theme you were digging all along?

Sort of. I like the art, but I feel (and told Mack that I feel) that his Native themes are well done, but a little stereotyped. Echo is supposed to be from a southeastern Woodlands tribe, yet she travels to a Sioux reservation to engage a Sioux medicine man in Sioux ceremonies, which includes that favorite Indian poster print tale about the two wolves, and drawings aped from Edward Curtis photos. Bird feathers everywhere. Visions and sweatlodges. Elders that talk like Yoda crossed with Gandalf. (Someday I might pitch a comic based on more realistic, modern-day Indian lives and dialogue)

Mack agreed, actually, but defended that he was TRYING to join myriad Native themes together, rather than remaining specific to one tribe.

Actually, because the bulk of my concern with the hobby comes from the back issue department and the market in general. I like reading about the history of the hobby and the different comic related stories... but I'm not necessarily into this week's issue of amazing spider man or the storyline or what peter parker's doing.

There are rare exceptions... I read the Flash, the Hush storyline, and Batgirl Year One... otherwise, it's very limited what I pick up.

I'm no longer into going on wednesdays to find the next hot thing... I'm more into reading those stories which are felt were of high quality instead of reading everything.

Sounds like it's not that important to you.

Forest, trees, forest, trees, forest, trees..........Writing, typing, writing, typing, writing, typing....... confused-smiley-013.gif